Mining in Cataclysm DDA, and extending woodland survival a bit

I’ve been thinking a lot about the survival system in C:DDA, especially when it comes to woodland survival. I think we should be able to dynamically mine for metal underground, at the expense of maybe running into giant moles or pools of acid, or maybe even gas pockets.
In turn, these acid pools and gas pockets can be decent places to find acid and natural gas, should we be able to support these systems.
And what about a “mod” you can put on a world to greatly increase the amount of woodland animals?
I’m saying this because lately I was doing a woodland survival character, and I couldn’t really get past a certain state because I couldn’t actually make rags, nor could I make metal, so I was effectively stuck in a wooden hut.
Did I forget to mention that maybe rags should be craftable via 6 inch strings, and an intensely long time?
Well what do you guys think? Devs, is it in the cards? Would it be sustainable, or too much work, or what?

Tailoring level two already allows you to knit rags.

My apologies, I forgot. But still, the mining thing. Is that gonna happen, is it even in consideration? What? Right about now there’s no real way to get access to acid.

I don’t have a problem with mining being added, but keep in mind we do things based on real timescales instead of made-up ones, so it’ll be several hours to mine one square, and then even if you find raw ore, it would require smelting before use.
In other words it would be just as time-prohibitive to mine for metal as it is in the real world, that is to say extremely.
I don’t see mining ever being a practical thing to do.

I’d just like to see more ways of getting the raw chemical materials like sulfur and salpetre and the like than just lab excursions.

Bat caves and Guano for your Saltpetre.
You can make Potassium Nitrate it from fertilizer and stuff but that’s pretty dangerous IIRC, since you essentially need to boil/bake it with volatile chemicals. /crass simplification.

As to sulfur… Nope, sorry-- drawing a blank here. Frankly lava vents in New England don’t make much sense to me either.

Sulfurous fungi, sulfurous fungi monsters and poisonous fumes in the subways and sewers?
Adding bats and guano to subways might make sense as well.

They’re weird stuff caused by cataclysm.

You can make Potassium Nitrate it from fertilizer and stuff but that's pretty dangerous IIRC, since you essentially need to boil/bake it with volatile chemicals.
Nope, not at all. You can make KNO3 from a variety of reagents, most common ones are nitrogenous fertilizer (for NO3- anion) and potassium fertilizer (KCl). The most cheap method is mixing NH4NO3 and KCl, but one byproduct of the reaction is ammonia which is poisonous but it works. You must have confused it for making sugar rocket fuel which [i]does[/i] require such an activity to make it at home and is incredibly dangerous as you risk activating decomposition of the oxidizer and essentially firing up half-done product.

Well there’s lava rifts. Lava rift or the altered surroundings around lava rifts - related crafting and harvesting, clearly.

While I like the frequently-suggested idea of ores from mining, I would suggest any attempt to add it focus on native metals, since those would be the simplest to make use of.

Native metals are quite rare aren t they?

I am still loiking forward to my own survivor dorff. so they can take care of lengthy actions like refining ore.

Industrial refinery complex anyone? Barrels of chemicals, pallets of ore, plenty of conveyor belts and industrial machinery? Quarry maybe?

Could probably do with some leaky barrels of chemicals around the current mine, toxic waste dump and HWS.
Maybe a few less leaky barrels of stuff in the public works too.

Could probably do with some leaky barrels of chemicals around the current mine, toxic waste dump and HWS. Maybe a few less leaky barrels of stuff in the public works too.
Any automatization breaks over one thing: reality bubble. I tried proposing such ideas, no luck.

Native metals would be rare, yes. That would make balancing it easier, though.

And allows us avoiding reality bubble lunacy, facilities, infrastructure, etc. The simpler we keep it, the less hassle is involved in adding it.

Rifts caused by earthquakes and lava outcroppings could be good sources.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:4, topic:10811”]I don’t have a problem with mining being added, but keep in mind we do things based on real timescales instead of made-up ones, so it’ll be several hours to mine one square, and then even if you find raw ore, it would require smelting before use.
In other words it would be just as time-prohibitive to mine for metal as it is in the real world, that is to say extremely.
I don’t see mining ever being a practical thing to do.[/quote]
For me, it’s less a matter of practicality, and more a matter of having an alternative source of metal, so us woodland survival folks can be somewhat more self-sufficient without raiding towns.
And also maybe slightly better progression for metalworking, such as there being a longer, more wasteful alternative to the charcoal forge that can be made out of, say, clay, or mud, or stone. Right now there is no way to make a forge out of natural, farmable materials.
In my opinion, raiding towns should be ideal, and should always grant the best stuff (like acetylene torches, and access to other, better tools), but woodland survival should also be safer, slower, and longer. What about constructing mud or stone walls, and it being a lot of stone/mud, and a very long time? What about creating funnels that aren’t made out of plastic, but instead, say, leaves?

[quote=“majesty327, post:16, topic:10811”]And also maybe slightly better progression for metalworking, such as there being a longer, more wasteful alternative to the charcoal forge that can be made out of, say, clay, or mud, or stone. Right now there is no way to make a forge out of natural, farmable materials.
In my opinion, raiding towns should be ideal, and should always grant the best stuff (like acetylene torches, and access to other, better tools), but woodland survival should also be safer, slower, and longer. What about constructing mud or stone walls, and it being a lot of stone/mud, and a very long time? What about creating funnels that aren’t made out of plastic, but instead, say, leaves?[/quote]

You can construct charcoal forges using stones. A charcoal kiln to fuel it can additionally be constructed, requiring stone and clay.

Stone walls have been a construction option for longer than I’ve been around. The More Survival Tools tool also adds wattle-and-daub walls.

Leather and makeshift funnels exist, but fill slower than a proper funnel. With More Survival Tools, a tarp can be used to construct a raincatcher much closer in efficiency to the normal funnel, compared to leather or makeshift funnels.

[quote=“Random_dragon, post:17, topic:10811”][quote=“majesty327, post:16, topic:10811”]And also maybe slightly better progression for metalworking, such as there being a longer, more wasteful alternative to the charcoal forge that can be made out of, say, clay, or mud, or stone. Right now there is no way to make a forge out of natural, farmable materials.
In my opinion, raiding towns should be ideal, and should always grant the best stuff (like acetylene torches, and access to other, better tools), but woodland survival should also be safer, slower, and longer. What about constructing mud or stone walls, and it being a lot of stone/mud, and a very long time? What about creating funnels that aren’t made out of plastic, but instead, say, leaves?[/quote]

You can construct charcoal forges using stones. A charcoal kiln to fuel it can additionally be constructed, requiring stone and clay.

Stone walls have been a construction option for longer than I’ve been around. The More Survival Tools tool also adds wattle-and-daub walls.

Leather and makeshift funnels exist, but fill slower than a proper funnel. With More Survival Tools, a tarp can be used to construct a raincatcher much closer in efficiency to the normal funnel, compared to leather or makeshift funnels.[/quote]

Really? So how do you construct a charcoal forge out of stone?

It’s under the construction section.

No it isn’t.
The closest thing to it is this.