Typos, misspellings, bad grammar (English only)

Ok, this is my pet peeve item. I don’t know if it still exists, but one of the rifles (L523-DSR) had text like “designated shootist rifle”. SHOOTIST. It should be shootician, shoodent, shootsmith, shootman, shooteusse or shootant. English isn’t that hard. Sheesh.

First change the name of the gun to L523-DMR, and then maybe call it a designated marksmanship rifle.

The original text:
Leadworks LLC’s bullpup L523 platform utilizes the ubiquitous 5.56 round in multiple applications, and is designed to part-swap quickly, safely, and effectively from one to the next. The designated-shootist rifle incorporates a specially-designed extended barrel with integral bipod and foregrip, along with an integral 8x optic, and trades selective-fire for the Leadworks gyro-stabilization system. Like the rest of the family, though, it doesn’t accept third-party modifications.

Proposed changes:
Leadworks LLC’s bullpup L523 platform utilizes the ubiquitous 5.56mm round in multiple applications, and is designed to part-swap quickly, safely, and effectively from one to the next. The designated marksman rifle version incorporates a proprietary extended barrel with an integrated bipod and a foregrip, along with an integrated 8x optic, and replaces the firing mechanism with Leadworks’ proprietary gyro-stabilization system. Like the rest of the family, though, it doesn’t accept third-party modifications.

I can’t be 100% sure if ‘firing mechanism’ was the intended phrasing/term, but it’s just a guess.

What’s the best way to report typos, misspellings, bad grammar etc.?

Edit: Made a mistake. DMR = Designated Marksman Rifle, not Designated Marksmanship Rifle

“Shootist” is US slang for “a person who is skilled at shooting.”

and “integral” is a type of sight platform.

That aside, post here works, but GitHub issues are more frequently checked.

Firstly, I’m… shocked that ‘shootist’ is an actual existing (slang) word. It’s an old word, even. I have to admit English isn’t my first language. The entire description of the gun gave me the vibe that it was written by another non-native English speaker, possibly a Russian or a European high school student. I would still argue that slang shouldn’t be used in a text that otherwise sounds like a serious (almost academic or scientific) description of a firearm. IIRC, all the L523 guns had fairly academic or neutral descriptions. I mean, you can’t just use the word ‘designated’ and then ‘shootist’, and not expect someone to get confused. :frowning:

[quote=“karlnp, post:3, topic:10146”]and “integral” is a type of sight platform.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-golden-image-30mm-red-green-dot-scope-scp-rd40rgw.html[/quote]
…Oh… O_O

I’ll admit that the use of the term ‘shootist’ got me the first time I saw it. I understood what it meant, but I’ve never heard the term used before (either online, in books, or the grand total of two times I went out to the range) mostly because it sounds kind of stupid I imagine (who wants to be called a shootist when you can be a marks(wo)man).

I think the propsed changes make it easier to read and understand for a layman compared to the orginial. But that’s just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Haha. I don’t like the word either, but it is certainly appropriate for a New England setting.