Turrets, what's up with them?

I used to play the 0.9 stable version and turrets were easily survivable with the right equipment. Now I’m playing an experimental build (0.9-3139-g44364f8) and I have been one-shot killed several times already, even when wearing what I thought was appropriate equipment. For example, last time I got one shot killed when I entered into a military outpost, while wearing a miltary helmet, balistic glasses, filter mask + Steel plates MRE, hard leg and arm guards, etc. Are they even survivable nowadays? What sort of protection do I need? It almost looks as labs and military outposts are imposible to explore.

The darkness is always good protection.

That, and staying away from them unless you have a very good gun.

It happens a lot and has been reported a few times, for example here.

What I think is happening is that the shot is getting ‘headshot’-multiplied to massive levels, then your helmet is getting applied. So what will normally bounce off will suddenly decapitate you.

Heavy Survivor Helmet seems to allow me to survive this (albeit with significant head damage). Nothing short of that will.

@FunsizeNinja123 Yeah, last time I had already destroyed about 6 or 7 turrets outside the building by aproaching them in darkness and snipping them with a nice riffle, then I stepped inside the building itself and got instakilled. I never even got to see what hit me.

@The Lone Badger So, is it a bug or something?

I can’t say anything for certain, but I think it’s an unintended consequence of certain game mechanics.

If you use a gun yourself you’ve undoubtedly noticed you sometimes get a ‘headshot’ and hundreds of damage. Pretty sure enemies can get that too. And your helmet can’t stop that much damage.

Some things to remember:

1. You get killed by head and torso damadge.
  2. Armor rarely has a full 100 coverage . The vest has something like 85, if I’m not mistaken?
  3. Result- if you dont layer/modify armor/get relevant CBMs+mutations- there is a probability that a number of 9mm bullets will bypass the armor totally, killing you instantly.

P.S. Its extra fun when you play Hardcore/Frail characters, believe me.

EMP that shit, or just drive over everything.

[center][size=18pt]LIKE A MAN.[/size][/center]

I just cleared out 8 turrets from around a military outpost by ramming them with my vehicle.

Now I’m wondering something. What are the mechanics for windscreens, quarterpanels etc stopping bullets? I didn’t seem to be taking damage although my windscreen sure was.

But eventually I did take severe head damage somehow. Might have been when I was out of the vehicle fighting some zombie animals…

Basically I’m trying to work out the best way of protecting myself while seeing through the front of the vehicle. Would it be layered reinforced windscreens? I don’t know if quarterpanels block bullets.

not walking up to the closest possible range in darkness and throwing sledgehammers until it breaks

[quote=“DG123, post:8, topic:4741”]I just cleared out 8 turrets from around a military outpost by ramming them with my vehicle.

Now I’m wondering something. What are the mechanics for windscreens, quarterpanels etc stopping bullets? I didn’t seem to be taking damage although my windscreen sure was.

But eventually I did take severe head damage somehow. Might have been when I was out of the vehicle fighting some zombie animals…

Basically I’m trying to work out the best way of protecting myself while seeing through the front of the vehicle. Would it be layered reinforced windscreens? I don’t know if quarterpanels block bullets.[/quote]it would make sense for quarterpanels to block a percentage of projectiles fired at them, they are the equivalent of the body of a car and as you see on tv and the movies the body of a car tends to soak up alot of bullets.

That’s what happens when you have 16+ throwing skill.

Do turrets shoot tamed dogs? I don’t want to tame one a bring it home if my turrets are going to blow it into dust.
EDIT nevermind they dont

I used to throw rockets at military outpost, that’s kind of funny.

rockets
Step it up, survivor. Throw inactive mininukes.