Turrets please give us a Warning!

I dont know if someone already suggestet this but these turrets are messed up and not logical!
Please give us a Popup where they warn you like: Stay away Citizen or you will be shot!
Also why shoot us but not the freaking Zombies?Is it because we wearing armor and weapons it should not do that since it could be a member of the army or else and shoot us for no reason is just… urgh…

Also Npcs are such a nice and important part of the game but if its not a Turret which kills me its the freaking random behavior of npc like: oh behind him is a littel dragonfly i have to shoot it trough him with an unlimited amount of bullets with my Ak 47!
Or i settle in a LMOE shelter yeah lets spawn npcs which will:

1. steal ur stuff and act innocent so you cant kill them without penalty.
    2.Stright up rob/Kill you while your asleep.
    solution: Dont let them spawn in there also not in labs they should have to walk in there and go down then im cool with it! but when i have a Turrets/wall at the entrance and inside they should not be able to just get in.
    also id like to have a way to designate for example my LMOE shelter as my base so NPCs wont steal from it or atleast get flagged hostile.

I will tell you how it works. Supposedly, they do tell you, with a red laser to the chest, before shooting. Second, i will let someone else explain why the turrets don’t shoot zombies, because you seriously sound disgusted and i kinda dislike that.

And NPCs, well, they are not nearly finished.

Oh, trust me, there’s been plenty of griping. Some by yours truly.

It’s on the to-do list. Robotics will probably be getting looked at sooner or later and NPC’s are definitely on the agenda. So’s ownership. I think ownership system will come first but you’d have to ask the dev’s to know for sure what they’re up to.

As for why the turrets don’t shoot zombies, there’s an explanation in the lore that says as shit hit the fan, they tried to reprogram the machines to go from crowd control to anti-zombie. Well somehow they fucked up and now they’re anti-human. Despite the fact that zombies maintain a largely human profile, are physically warm, and no real way to differentiate between a human and a non-living human actually exists and should not reasonably happen. As far as I’m concerned they need to shoot everything humanoid or nothing at all.

Buuuut you should probably bug a dev about that. Though to be honest I think they’ve heard more than enough whining about it that they know it’s something that people dislike. I spawned in a shelter with turrets outside once. Just quit and restarted the world; not having that bullshit.

Turrets not shooting zombies is mostly a gameplay thing with lore explaining it being more of an excuse. If turrets shot zombies, they’d waste all ammo very quickly and generally be too easy.

Maybe turrets should beep loudly when idle, like TF2 turrets?

That’s the reason dynamic NPCs are off by default.
They aren’t balanced and well implemented yet. Unless you’re going for hard mode game, keep them off.

There are some methods people playing with dynamic NPCs use to stay alive, but those are mostly tricks, almost glitches.

I dident mean to be agressiv/disgusted of any kind its just frustrating scavanging the City go around a corner an get shot by an antimatiral Turret out of no where, im fine with the npcs i get its optional just some suggestions/things i encountered and how i think they could be solved.
Reddot huh i never saw that but would be nice iv there would be a pop up. When im reading a book i get lots of pop ups about insects getting in my sight which i dont care about since their not hostile but a red dot is pointing at your chest pop up would be rlly appreciated by many i think cuz im not constantly reading all the massages on the side might be just my lazyness :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

edit
weird lore… id like to alter it like i can live with them not shooting regular and military Zombies and security robots, Dogs, Cats and so on, but atleast monsters brutes or triffids or anything which wields a weapon and dont fit into Regular daylie life or is visibly mutated and looks like a threat but even then a warning would be appreciated.

btw im not nativ english so i dont rlly understand this atleast the meaning of it: Oh, trust me, there’s been plenty of griping. Some by yours truly.

“Bleep bloop. This is a restricted are. Get yo’ ass outa here or I’ll blast ya.”
“Bloop. Last warning.”
“FINE! Bleep.”

Me neither, to be honest.

I just checked, just in case there was a bug where the warnings weren’t happening.
They do in fact warn you by putting a laser dot on you, and if you’re close enough to hear it they say, “Hostile detected.”, then they wait a turn before doing anything else.

The popup you’re asking for? You have it, it’s called safe mode. There are a few adjustments we can make to it to make things easier, but no way in hell am I adding another warning, you’ll just turn that one off too.

Perhaps as a suggestion, turrets may have a tag associated with them to determine if they belong to scientists, military, or other. Random scientists and military carry IFF devices which cause associated turrets to not shoot you? Be plausibly realistic, and may even give a non electrician character the means to obtain turrets.

The turrets assigned to other may represent their use by gangs amd such, amend not have associated IFF devices on account of a small group would only have a handful of decices on the same frequency as their turrets and those would be far less likely to exist post cataclysm just due to the small quantity.

I like the tag idea.

Note on the turrets don’t shoot zombies thing, but I’d eventually like to have most types of turrets and robots properly targeting zombies too.

PLANNED

How about implementing a safe mode in which you can select what generates a warning and what doesn’t?

I had never played with the new tank drones before, so I always kept safe mode on unless I was actively fighting. One day, I was fighting a stupid zombie in a city I completely cleared. I moved left 2 times. In the first move, I had a laser pointer on me. In the second, I got one-shot’ted by a tank drone as follows:

7:58:00 AM Safe mode OFF!
7:59:00 AM You’re not sure why you’ve got a laser dot on you…
7:59:06 AM The tank drone’s 120mm cannon fires!
7:59:06 AM You’re deafened!
7:59:06 AM From the south you hear kerblam!
7:59:06 AM You’re caught in the explosion!

Now I have to keep safe mode on even in battles where I don’t need it, and it necessitates me to press ignore for every single zombie that enters my line of sight. It is frustrating.

If we could have a safe mod for which we can create an ignore list, it would be perfect.

A mod to restrict these one-shot machines to high-level environments is also sorely needed.

How about a loud warning emanating from them before they fire. As a soldier, we are allowed to preserve our lives first and foremost. Anything that could possibly target civilians would have a lot of safeties to it. Any time a civilians get’s hurt due to the military it’s always all over the papers.
I think that turrets should use non-lethal rounds till you are much closer to them (this would also fall into canon on why they didn’t do much to zombies when they did target them) But if you get closer or the turret takes damage they switch to lethal rounds. Either that or have non-lethal turrets that surround most places and lethal turrets inside. Maybe we should have Chaff grenades (like in metal gear) that could confuse turrets?
Imagine cop bots running around stunning you and then cuffing your for pickup. Then the zombies walk closer and closer… and you can do fuck all about it. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Miloch, post:14, topic:8098”]How about a loud warning emanating from them before they fire. As a soldier, we are allowed to preserve our lives first and foremost. Anything that could possibly target civilians would have a lot of safeties to it. Any time a civilians get’s hurt due to the military it’s always all over the papers.
I think that turrets should use non-lethal rounds till you are much closer to them (this would also fall into canon on why they didn’t do much to zombies when they did target them) But if you get closer or the turret takes damage they switch to lethal rounds. Either that or have non-lethal turrets that surround most places and lethal turrets inside. Maybe we should have Chaff grenades (like in metal gear) that could confuse turrets?
Imagine cop bots running around stunning you and then cuffing your for pickup. Then the zombies walk closer and closer… and you can do fuck all about it. :P[/quote]

1. Last soldier I spoke with (dinner on Amtrak) made it clear that he was trained to respect civilians–because they might be a retired officer. o_O

2. Loud warning only attracts zeds and would cause yet more complaints about their not targeting 'em, which I am sick and bloody tired of hearing.

3. Less-lethal might be doable, sure.

4. Copbots using cuffs is already planned.

I was considering suggesting it to be a bannable offense, but I think only the devs are pissed and everyone else would take it the wrong way. Maybe a very stern warning and a link to six other topics?

Really I see no problems with turrets on bunkers and military installations using lethal rounds, the only problem is that there should be a fence farther away. Bunkers seem like one of those “cross this line and we will open fire on you, no warnings given”, type of place. Probably stick a sign on the fence as well.

[quote=“Miloch, post:14, topic:8098”]How about a loud warning emanating from them before they fire. As a soldier, we are allowed to preserve our lives first and foremost. Anything that could possibly target civilians would have a lot of safeties to it. Any time a civilians get’s hurt due to the military it’s always all over the papers.
I think that turrets should use non-lethal rounds till you are much closer to them (this would also fall into canon on why they didn’t do much to zombies when they did target them) But if you get closer or the turret takes damage they switch to lethal rounds.[/quote]

What is it vehicle gunners have to do? Shout Show Shove Shoot? I’d presume that with roadblocks they’d do much the same thing. Shout to stop, Show a flare/rifle, Shove with a warning shot or burst, Shoot to kill or disable the vehicle.

I like the sign on fence idea.