Tileset protocol

Just got PM’d by someone who wondered about the proper way to handle developing a new tileset. (Taking advantage of the new overlay code, apparently. Will be Interesting.)

Most tileset designers have hosted their work on their own (sites such as dropbox can be popular) whilst it’s in the early stages. They tend to post download links and install instructions for folks interested in testing 'em out. Once they’ve got things in good shape (I’d define that as “complete to most recent stable”, minimum), mainline inclusion can be a possibility.

Just be aware that you can’t both have tiles in DDA without licensing them CC-BY-SA, which means that they’re open for remixing forevermore, and you can’t just up and yank them back out.

In case it’s helpful; the ‘mod’ version of RetroDays is hosted on Nexus Mods, which I find very useful for hosting mods permanently.

It’s got a category for CDDA (because I added it), though currently RetroDays is the only thing in there. :wink:

I’m perfectly okay with that. How do I apply CC-BY-SA to my work?

Please tell more. I recently picked up something about the so-called ASCII fallback feature tampering with transparency in some tiles, is this related?

Ascii fallback replaces “unknown” tile with appropriate ascii symbol, as you can see in Retrodays and Mshock tilesets.
Overlay system allows you to have separate clothing/welded items drawn on your character as done in this experimental version.

I’m perfectly okay with that. How do I apply CC-BY-SA to my work?

Please tell more. I recently picked up something about the so-called ASCII fallback feature tampering with transparency in some tiles, is this related?[/quote]

You can include an express statement in a text file packed with the code, or just submit it for inclusion in mainline. Everything included in DDA inherits CC-BY-SA.

I’m not familiar with the ASCII fallback code, but the overlay code is something different. I recommend supporting both if you can, but I’m not familiar with tileset coding and suspect that it’s nontrivial.