Tileset modding

I’m trying to mod a tileset to include mobs and items from game mods. However, the standard method used for base game assets (going into the gfx/tileset/tile_config.json, inputting the ID and tile number) doesn’t seem to work. When IDs of objects or creatures from mods are put here, the game seems to completely ignore them, unlike IDs or objects from the base game.

Is there some extra step needed to apply graphical tiles to mod assets above and beyond the normal steps needed to apply them to stuff in the base game?

Hmmm. Send me the part of the code you are trying to add, and the id of the mod monster you want to add, and I’ll tell you how to fix it!

I’m more interested in learning the process myself than having it done for me, since I plan on doing more in the future. But thank you kindly for the offer.

The issue persists with every mod whose assets I’ve tried to add to the tileset, which is quite puzzling to me. When you attempt to apply tiles to an asset ID from a mod, is the process completely identical to applying tiles to base game IDs? Or do you need to add some sort of special indicator(s) to the ID to alert the game it’s a mod asset?

Maybe you have an example of a working reference that you could post?

Well, I just wanted a snippet of your code so I can tell you what is wrong with it so you use it for reference to all of them. But yeah, it’s the same as adding a normal tile. You simply copy the format from another tile and change the parameters. If you are using the same time on two IDs you can do it that way or add both IDs separated by a comma, and then wrap them with “[” and “],” so you have less code to worry about and it’s more organized. But it would be way easier to make a reference for you, though I can’t, I’m not on the PC and I’m don’t remember every exact word, so I could write something wrong.

Well, here’s an example of what I did:

{ "id": "mon_zombie_fat", "fg": 1910, "bg": 622, "rotates": false }, { "id": "mon_zombie_fat_2", "fg": 1910, "bg": 622, "rotates": false }, { "id": "mon_zombie_fat_3", "fg": 1910, "bg": 622, "rotates": false },

The original one in the game is the first one. The other two are from PK’s rebalancing. The ID’s are correct, and I just copied/pasted the code from the original fat zombie. The original one shows up as intended by the tiletset, but the other two still show up as ASCII-style letter “Z” instead of the appropriate tileset spite

Stupid questions, but are you editing the right file? the one of the mod you use, because I’m editing XottoPlus tileset for PK mod and I have no issue doing it.

If you are using Notepad++, remember to save. Apart from that, that code has no errors. Are you sure you are editing the right file? I personally updated my own tileset to work with most of the creatures of that mod, it works perfectly!

That is literally what I’m trying to do, heh. Exact same mod and tileset I’m working with.

I was editing the GAMEDIR/gfx/TILESET/tile_config.json. That’s what you’re editing, right?

Though if you’ve already done this with your own copy of the game, any chance you could just upload your tile_config.json? It’d save me the trouble of doing it if it already exists.

Btw, to explain what i said in the other post, you can have it be more compact by doing this:

{
“id”: [“mon_zombie_fat”,“mon_zombie_fat_2”,“mon_zombie_fat_3”],
“fg”: 1910,
“bg”: 622,
“rotates”: false
},

[quote=“StopSignal, post:9, topic:13221”]Btw, to explain what i said in the other post, you can have it be more compact by doing this:

{
“id”: [“mon_zombie_fat”,“mon_zombie_fat_2”,“mon_zombie_fat_3”],
“fg”: 1910,
“bg”: 622,
“rotates”: false
},[/quote]

Ah, that’s what you meant. Good to know for future reference. Thanks!