The WTF Thread

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:40, topic:2519”]There is a setting called “Black Road” which causes—if activated—the game to spawn zombies at shelters. It sounds like this is some cultural reference and therefore shouldn’t be translated literally.

[ul][]Is this correct?
[
]What does “Black Road” refer to?[/ul][/quote]

It is a movie reference; I can’t find the movie ATM though. Sorry.

Concept is that it’s a difficult path, I believe: you start out already under attack, after all.

[quote=“KA101, post:41, topic:2519”][quote=“Wuzzy, post:40, topic:2519”]There is a setting called “Black Road” which causes—if activated—the game to spawn zombies at shelters. It sounds like this is some cultural reference and therefore shouldn’t be translated literally.

[ul][]Is this correct?
[

Concept is that it’s a difficult path, I believe: you start out already under attack, after all.[/quote]

I think the reference originates from this esoteric source.

In the MISERY fan-made modification for the PC game S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, черная дорога or The Black Road is an option you can select when you start a new game. It’s basically super-hardcore mode, starting you with virtually no equipment and in hostile territory.

What I think happened is somebody who likes S:CoP added it in as an homage.

[quote=“Rivet, post:42, topic:2519”][quote=“KA101, post:41, topic:2519”][quote=“Wuzzy, post:40, topic:2519”]There is a setting called “Black Road” which causes—if activated—the game to spawn zombies at shelters. It sounds like this is some cultural reference and therefore shouldn’t be translated literally.

[ul][]Is this correct?
[

Concept is that it’s a difficult path, I believe: you start out already under attack, after all.[/quote]

I think the reference originates from this esoteric source.

In the MISERY fan-made modification for the PC game S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, черная дорога or The Black Road is an option you can select when you start a new game. It’s basically super-hardcore mode, starting you with virtually no equipment and in hostile territory.

What I think happened is somebody who likes S:CoP added it in as an homage.[/quote]

Could’ve sworn I saw someone describe it as a movie-reference, but wouldn’t be the first time I’d been wrong. Fair enough.

The description of the item “fertilizer” is “A token, representing fertilization of a plant.” (4138). I don’t know what that even means. What’s the purpose of this item?

6353: “Incidence of post-mortem mutation seems to depend on several factors - leading candidates include type and amount of damaged sustained leading to expiration, embedded foreign bodies at time of revivification, proximity to other revived individuals, and the body mass of the subject.”
I have no idea what the underscored part means.

6354: “Time also appears to play a large role in post-mortem revivification, as does sustained trauma insufficient to permanently disable the subject. Sufficient amounts of trauma in short periods of time lead to deactivation of XE037, but smaller amounts over several days cause it to expand.”
The word “trauma” could mean many things. What kind of trauma was meant here? At least tell me if its physical or psychological.

Edit 1:
6431: “Flat bonus to damage.”
Related to martial arts. I don’t understand this.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:44, topic:2519”]The description of the item “fertilizer” is “A token, representing fertilization of a plant.” (4138). I don’t know what that even means. What’s the purpose of this item?

6353: “Incidence of post-mortem mutation seems to depend on several factors - leading candidates include type and amount of damaged sustained leading to expiration, embedded foreign bodies at time of revivification, proximity to other revived individuals, and the body mass of the subject.”
I have no idea what the underscored part means.

6354: “Time also appears to play a large role in post-mortem revivification, as does sustained trauma insufficient to permanently disable the subject. Sufficient amounts of trauma in short periods of time lead to deactivation of XE037, but smaller amounts over several days cause it to expand.”
The word “trauma” could mean many things. What kind of trauma was meant here? At least tell me if its physical or psychological.

Edit 1:
6431: “Flat bonus to damage.”
Related to martial arts. I don’t understand this.[/quote]

1. Fertilizer: looks like a placeholder item. It represents that you’ve pumped nutrients into the soil, so the plant will grow more effectively.

2. That’s a typo. Damage sustained leading to expiration = how much injury was done to it in killing it (shotgun blast, rifle bullet, chopped with swords, etc).

3. Physical trauma.

4. I wrote that; I’ve since changed it and gotten the replacement merged. Current entry is “+2 bashing damage.” I trust that’s clear enough.

Thank you!
I have posted the typo to the thread “Errors in English strings”.

“Flip the %s?” (2249 in 0.9, src/iexamine.cpp)
“flip” in what sense? “flip” as in “flip a switch” or as in “to turn something around” or as in ?

Edit:
Okay, there seems to be a lot of onomatopoeia again:

[ul][]3015: “Gachunk!”
[
]3016: “Snick, snick, gachunk!”
[]9647: “slap!”
[
]9648: “thump!”
[]9649: “SMASH!!”
[
]9650: “CRUNCH!!”
[]9651: “smash!”
[
]9653: “ke-rash!”
[]4873: “power armor hauling frame”—I can translate “power armor” but I have no idea what a “hauling frame” could be. String 4874 does not help.
[
]2875: “BUFFS!!”
[*]9733: “the %s”—What’s the context?[/ul]

I think every onomatopoeia string should get a comment for the context to ease the translation.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:47, topic:2519”]“Flip the %s?” (2249 in 0.9, src/iexamine.cpp)
“flip” in what sense? “flip” as in “flip a switch” or as in “to turn something around” or as in ?

Edit:
Okay, there seems to be a lot of onomatopoeia again:

[ul][]3015: “Gachunk!”
[
]3016: “Snick, snick, gachunk!”
[]9647: “slap!”
[
]9648: “thump!”
[]9649: “SMASH!!”
[
]9650: “CRUNCH!!”
[]9651: “smash!”
[
]9653: “ke-rash!”
[]4873: “power armor hauling frame”—I can translate “power armor” but I have no idea what a “hauling frame” could be. String 4874 does not help.
[
]2875: “BUFFS!!”
[*]9733: “the %s”—What’s the context?[/ul]

I think every onomatopoeia string should get a comment for the context to ease the translation.[/quote]

Current experimental iexamine.cpp no longer gets to line 2249. Sorry. Guessing w/o certainty that it’s a switch, like one you’d use to turn something on or off. (I think it’s a Strange Temple thing.)

Gachunk: sound of cutting a padlock, IIRC
SnickSnickGachunk: sound of cutting a hole in the chain-link fence you you can get through
slap/thump/SMASH/CRUNCH are critters Destroying Stuff. Thump is attacking a door, SMASH is generic wall-demo–usually thanks to a Hulk or something–and I’ve not seen CRUNCH.

(not sure about smash/ke-rash.)

The Hauling Frame is essentially a large backpack-like thing that lets power-armored folks Carry Stuff.
BUFFS! is Kevin boosting the stats of everything caught in a Granade (sic) burst. It’s the opposite of NERFS, which reduces stats. REVERTS sets everything to default (basically a full-heal) and BUGFIXES just makes all insect-type critters in the effect explode messily. (Merged! is a reference to Kevin’s job here being taking code others write and getting it merged into mainline.)

9733: that’s a generic fill-in-the-blank. I’d use neuter and see what happens. Sorry.

Oh, sorry. The numbers are Launchpad numbers, not line numbers.

“Flip the %s?” was indeed for switches. I used the map editor to find out.

The word “eldritch” appears a few times throughout the game. I don’t know what it means. Please explain it to me!

Edit:
“A human body, but with its limbs, neck, and
hair impossibly twisted. It clambors around swiftly, making awful screeching sounds.”
I never heard of the verb “to clambor” and can’t find it in any dictionary. What does it mean?

Eldritch is of Old English origin, it mostly refer to something uncanny, weird, foreign, of a strange world.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:50, topic:2519”]The word “eldritch” appears a few times throughout the game. I don’t know what it means. Please explain it to me!

Edit:
“A human body, but with its limbs, neck, and
hair impossibly twisted. It clambors around swiftly, making awful screeching sounds.”
I never heard of the verb “to clambor” and can’t find it in any dictionary. What does it mean?[/quote]

Yeah, Eldritch is an adjective for “old weird stuff that’s Extra weird, so Weird that we use a weird adjective” :stuck_out_tongue: .

Clambor = typo of “clamber”, already fixed in latest experimental.

Okay, thanks!

More onomatopoeia:

[ul][]11558: “Fzzt!”
[
]11559: “Pew!”
[]11560: “Tsewww!”
[
]11561: “Kra-kow!!”
[]11562: “Bzzt!”
[
]11563: “Bzap!”
[]11564: “Bzaapp!”
[
]11565: “Kra-koom!!”
[]11566: “Brrrip!”
[
]11567: “plink!”
[]11568: “Brrrap!”
[
]11569: “bang!”
[]11570: “P-p-p-pow!”
[
]11571: “blam!”
[]11573: “kerblam!”
[
]11574: “Thunk!”
[]11575: “Fwoosh!”
[
]11791: “Swinnng!”
[*]11792: “Clank!”[/ul]

Edit: More WTFs:

[ul][]1166: “%d: %s; movecost %d movestr %d”—I can’t translate “movestr”
[
]2310: “burn: ”—What’s the context?
[]3960: “A short piece of steel which has been forged true and sharpened on one end. Could be used as a projectile by a sufficiently powerful ferromagnetic weapon.”—“to forge true” appears in several other strings as well and I don’t understand what’s the difference from just “to forge”.
[
]1572: “Survivor sleep now.”—What’s the context? Besides, that doesn’t even sound like proper English.
[]“Pre-Med student”. I am unsure what this means. Is this equivalent to “freshman (in medicine)”?
[
]“to sweep”/“sweep”. Many meelee-related strings use this word in some form. This still leaves some interpretations open. Which meaning was actually meant? Is this a strike in a large bow/arc, a strike with high energy, a fast strike? Or something completely different?
[]What is an “axe-kick” (9264)?
[
]9552: “shutter door”—What’s that?
[]9894: “If there is a military team down there then we better go in prepared if we want to impress them. Carry as much ammo as you can and prepare to ditch this place if they have a second bird coming to pick them up.”—I know at least two senses of “to ditch something”: “to get rid of something” and “to leave it alone” (in one sense). I am not sure which one to pick.
[
]9902: “Ya, I guess the stress may just be getting to me…”: This seems too ideomatic to me and I can’t translate it. So what’s the context?
[]9994: “Rodger, if he’s a no-show then any other gunslinger will do… but I doubt he’ll quit before we even begin.”—What does “Rodger” mean here?
[
]10038: “Recruit Tracker”—“Tracker” in which sense?
[]10078. “thu-THUMP.”—???
[
]11404: “Your %s spins down.”—Context?
[]11406: “Choose drive:”—Context?
[
]11601: “ledge”—What kind of ledge?
[*]11809: “%s Night”—Context?[/ul]

As always, the numbers are Launchpad IDs for 0.9.

Edit 2:
The string with “EPA: Report All Potential Containment Breaches 3873643” in it contains the words “leache system”. What’s that?

3960: “A short piece of steel which has been forged true and sharpened on one end. Could be used as a projectile by a sufficiently powerful ferromagnetic weapon.”—“to forge true” appears in several other strings as well and I don’t understand what’s the difference from just “to forge”.

In this case forged true is indicating that it has been well made and it’s straight and without defects (or ‘true’) so it will fly better when used as a projectile.

1572: “Survivor sleep now.”—What’s the context? Besides, that doesn’t even sound like proper English.

It’s not supposed to be proper English. The context is that this is what pops up when you get soooo tired that you fall asleep against your will. Basically it’s trying to emulate being so incredibly exhausted that you lose your grasp of proper grammar.

“Pre-Med student”. I am unsure what this means. Is this equivalent to “freshman (in medicine)”?

Yeah close enough.

“to sweep”/“sweep”. Many meelee-related strings use this word in some form. This still leaves some interpretations open. Which meaning was actually meant? Is this a strike in a large bow/arc, a strike with high energy, a fast strike? Or something completely different?

Swing in a large arc.

What is an “axe-kick” (9264)?

A particular type of martial arts kicking maneuver. The practitioner raises their foot up really high and drops their heel down hard, using their entire leg as a lever. The name compares the motion of their leg to swinging an axe.

9552: “shutter door”—What’s that?

A particular type of door. They often roll up.

9894: “If there is a military team down there then we better go in prepared if we want to impress them. Carry as much ammo as you can and prepare to ditch this place if they have a second bird coming to pick them up.”—I know at least two senses of “to ditch something”: “to get rid of something” and “to leave it alone” (in one sense). I am not sure which one to pick.

In this case it means to abandon or leave behind.

9902: “Ya, I guess the stress may just be getting to me...”: This seems too ideomatic to me and I can’t translate it. So what’s the context?

This person is expressing that the pressures of life are overwhelming them.

9994: “Rodger, if he's a no-show then any other gunslinger will do... but I doubt he'll quit before we even begin.”—What does “Rodger” mean here?

In theory it means ‘affirmative’ but in practice it’s a typo. Should be ‘roger’ instead.

Not sure about the rest.

Responding in quote, sorry.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:54, topic:2519”]More onomatopoeia:

[ul][]11558: “Fzzt!” quiet laser sound, such as the finger-laser (noise < 20 )
[
]11559: “Pew!” Low-mid laser (noise < 40 )
[]11560: “Tsewww!” High-mid laser (noise < 60 )
[
]11561: “Kra-kow!!” LOUD laser
[]11562: “Bzzt!” quiet lightning (noise < 20 )
[
]11563: “Bzap!” louder (noise < 40 )
[]11564: “Bzaapp!” still louder (noise < 60 )
[
]11565: “Kra-koom!!” LOUD lightning
[]11566: “Brrrip!” quiet autofire (noise < 5 )
[
]11567: “plink!” quiet single-shot (BB gun) (noise < 5 )
[]11568: “Brrrap!” autofire (noise < 25 )
[
]11569: “bang!” single (noise < 25 )
[]11570: “P-p-p-pow!” auto, such as those used by Turrets, (noise < 60 )
[
]11571: “blam!” single (noise < 60 )
[]11573: “kerblam!” Single, LOUD (Kaboom!! is the LOUD burst, apparently)
[
]11574: “Thunk!” 40mm grenade launcher.
[]11575: “Fwoosh!” Flamethrower or certain rocket launchers (the Carl Gustav, FLASH, etc)
[
]11791: “Swinnng!” Blade Trap swinging its blade at a vehicle part that hit it (tire vs. motorized rotating blade. Nasty.)
[*]11792: “Clank!” Crossbow trap, same.[/ul]

Edit: More WTFs:

[ul][*]1166: “%d: %s; movecost %d movestr %d”—I can’t translate “movestr”

Strength needed to move that particular piece of furniture, looks like. editmap.cpp at 519.

[*]2310: “burn: ”—What’s the context?

Appears to be the item.cpp code for something getting burnt, presumably from exposure to fire.

[*]3960: “A short piece of steel which has been forged true and sharpened on one end. Could be used as a projectile by a sufficiently powerful ferromagnetic weapon.”—“to forge true” appears in several other strings as well and I don’t understand what’s the difference from just “to forge”.

As stated on the IRC, this is forged effectively and precisely.

[*]1572: “Survivor sleep now.”—What’s the context? Besides, that doesn’t even sound like proper English.

It’s not. You’re involuntarily sleeping because you’ve gone too long without sleep (fatigue around 1,000).

[*]“Pre-Med student”. I am unsure what this means. Is this equivalent to “freshman (in medicine)”?

US undergrad courses preparing the student to apply for medical school and the degree required to practice medicine.

[*]“to sweep”/“sweep”. Many meelee-related strings use this word in some form. This still leaves some interpretations open. Which meaning was actually meant? Is this a strike in a large bow/arc, a strike with high energy, a fast strike? Or something completely different?

Large arc is safest.

[*]What is an “axe-kick” (9264)?

As I understand it, you swing your foot up over their head and bring your heel down on 'em. It’s the Precise Attack in TKD.

[]9552: “shutter door”—What’s that?
[
]9894: “If there is a military team down there then we better go in prepared if we want to impress them. Carry as much ammo as you can and prepare to ditch this place if they have a second bird coming to pick them up.”—I know at least two senses of “to ditch something”: “to get rid of something” and “to leave it alone” (in one sense). I am not sure which one to pick.

In this context, I’d go with “leave” as in evacuate.

[]9902: “Ya, I guess the stress may just be getting to me…”: This seems too ideomatic to me and I can’t translate it. So what’s the context?
[
]9994: “Rodger, if he’s a no-show then any other gunslinger will do… but I doubt he’ll quit before we even begin.”—What does “Rodger” mean here?
[*]10038: “Recruit Tracker”—“Tracker” in which sense?

Presumably an NPC who is a competent Tracker of wildlife, game, Jabberwocks, etc.

[*]10078. “thu-THUMP.”—???

That’s the Triffid Heart beating. Look out for additional critters spawning.

[*]11404: “Your %s spins down.”—Context?

NX-17 charge rifle, you turned off your UPS power whilst charging, it’s dropping charge

[*]11406: “Choose drive:”—Context?

Probably a USB drive when downloading software/quest-data.

[*]11601: “ledge”—What kind of ledge?

That’ll be the kind you don’t want to fall off, because there’s at least a several-meter drop. (IIRC going over a Ledge currently is an instakill?)

[*]11809: “%s Night”—Context?

That appears to be script for the automated weather broadcasts. “Donnerstag Abend: regen, von Sud.”[/ul]

As always, the numbers are Launchpad IDs for 0.9.

Edit 2:
The string with “EPA: Report All Potential Containment Breaches 3873643” in it contains the words “leache system”. What’s that?[/quote]

(OK, got some that I missed.)

Thanks, the strings have been incorporated.

Okay, another bunch of strings:
10328 “Mugging you”
10401 “Mug player”
10429 “dig”
All three strings are NPC-related. The question for all three is “In which sense?”.

Edit: “Writhing skin - ”—Again: Which sense? (is part of disease.cpp)

Edit 2: “ERROR: Disruptive Spin”—Apparently this is an error message of some computer. Apart from that, I don’t know what it means. Please explain it to me!

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:58, topic:2519”]Okay, another bunch of strings:
10328 “Mugging you”
10401 “Mug player”
10429 “dig”
All three strings are NPC-related. The question for all three is “In which sense?”.

Edit: “Writhing skin - ”—Again: Which sense? (is part of disease.cpp)

Edit 2: “ERROR: Disruptive Spin”—Apparently this is an error message of some computer. Apart from that, I don’t know what it means. Please explain it to me![/quote]

Mugging is in the sense of armed robbery. The NPC:
-has successfully got the player to go unarmed/hands up, and is doing the actual robbery
-wants to mug the player, but hasn’t done so yet

“Dig” is USian slang for “understand”. If you dig something, du verstehst. Hoffentlich digst du “dig”.

Writhing skin is second-stage Formication: feels like there’s Something Under Your Skin. There may or may not be: you can get it either from Schizophrenia or from a Dermatik implantation. In any event, it’s distracting, itchy, and painful.

Disruptive Spin is when the blood-analysis centrifuge doesn’t work for some reason. Could be because you failed your roll, could be because something wasn’t right with the loading.

Thanks, done. I think I won’t have to ask more questions for 0.9 strings.