THE POTATO - CDDA on a 486DX

You cut it in half and it was all rotten inside.
:smile:

Was finally able to get a world loaded and was able to play in the game world on the potato. Below is the video, enjoy :). Even tho I have accomplished what I had set out to do originally I do plan on trying increase the performance a little bit. I think some of the slowness is due to some missing kernel option or because the access to the CF card is very slow. Most of the memory being used for the game is being housed on the CF card in a swap file so that does cause a lot of slowdown. It would be interesting to see how well the game would perform if the swap file was located on a spinning 7400rpm drive.

3 Likes

Ya knowā€¦that is a reasonable response. I like it. Thanks =D

That is pretty awesome, and surprisingly playable ā€“ I played BBS door games that were about that responsive back in the day.

If you suspect itā€™s a kernel thing thatā€™s slowing it down, you could copy debianā€™s kernel config from its kernel sources, and drop it in the gentoo kernel directory, and use it when you recompile. It would guarantee all the options were the same.

Well that probably wouldnā€™t work since the .config for Debian is all module based with an initrd which I am not doing with the new one due to lack of space for the initrd in memory. It also would be problematic as the .config for that kernel is for a older kernel 2.4 i think. I was thinking of loading up etch again tho and listing the mods in use to try and determined which drivers are being loaded. And like you suggested checkout out the .config file to see what options they used.

Moving into this bench is slow. Lol, we see that it IS slow!

1 Like

wow, watching those screens loadā€¦ makes cata FEEL like an old game.

1 Like

It actually a lot slower on the newer kernels than I think it should be. I suspect this is due to the new kernels using everything though the sata interface which I am sure is eating shitloads of cycles emulating on this box. I am going to try some older kernels on the system and see if it improves. Not sure how old I can go tho before shit starts to break.