Personal (CDDA) Milestones

This is something I remembered to do, knowing it would eventually come to this. :slight_smile:

Being a passionate gamer, I have a folder for savegame keepsake. These files eventually get back’d up, sometimes lost and almost never deleted. It’s amusing to know, no matter how crazy it sounds, that you might continue your game twenty years afar. Midst organizing and archiving these files (which is a dull task like many others), if you’re like me - you just love talking about games - this offers great insight. Ten or so hours gameplay into one or another new game title, you may decide to “pause” it in order to compare that experience to another, older one; which might happen to be your favorite.

The actual milestone, as you can see, is 10k archved files. It takes quite a chunk of proc time to compress this.
There is another archive, where I keep all the officials and nightlies amassed through the years of CataDDA-ing. :slight_smile:

That is some pretty impressive data-hoarding, vultures. If we ever lose our Github archive of older versions, we’ll know who to turn to!

Just a quick trivia, as we aren’t actually celebrating anything. :slight_smile:

• 0.4 CataDDA had 21 files;
  • 0.C CataDDA has 408 files (current).

The .exe file size fluctuated based on the engine size, and less-so according to appended data.
Over the years, the Curses build was as little as <5MB, whilst the raw Tiles build started with as much as >16MB memory space.

Amazing, man. I don’t even know anything about 0.4~0.6. 873Mb -> 13.4Mb, mostly text files?

Yeah, @impossible - those are non-compressed map ('n’item) tiles; due to get as huge as it gets. :slight_smile:

What’s more, there was a time as ancient as the beginning of Cataclysm where saves weren’t compatible with up-the-scale versions of CDDA game. A method of using the Debug console in a creative way was to approximate your savestate every time the game gets another, official build. These saves are backed up in whole-nuther file, for another fan-endeavor of mine - a custom CataDDA build. Also, this once-upon-a-time pseudo-build served as a major inspiration for tabletop RPG sessions we had back then. Good times. :slight_smile:

These numbers stand for the gamebuilds file, the officials and otherwise jenkins builds.
This file holds all those builds transfered from the “allmighty” RL-testing rig, which featured 44MB free RAM in WinXP for running CataDDA in all its glory. It ran flawlessly. :slight_smile:

930 357 967 (raw size)
95 776 773 (packed size)
5670 files