Tentacle arms 4/8

Expermintal

SDL

W7

Tentacle arms says it gives 3 encumbrance but gives 30 for hands. either tool tip needs to read 30, or encumbrance needs to be 3

It was due to encumbrance changes. All encumbrance was multiplied by 10 and then adjusted around for more granularity. The description of lots of things weren’t changed in the process.

[quote=“Midaychi, post:2, topic:10818”]It was due to encumbrance changes. All encumbrance was multiplied by 10 and then adjusted around for more granularity. The description of lots of things weren’t changed in the process.[/quote] I just started using the newest experimental build after surviving ~25 days in the stable one and I don’t really understand how encumberance works now. I’m constantly at torso encumberance 30-40 and can’t tell when I’ll start getting seriously penalized for being too encumbered; did the values literally get multiplied by 10 and that’s it? I’ve noticed that almost every piece of clothing has SOME encumberance value now, while on stable most stuff that fits you has 0.

Is 0-50 yellow and 50+ red like 0-5 is yellow and 5+ is red on stable now? What is the point in making the system more complex? (items suddenly having encumberance 3 or 8 or random numbers like these)

stable 5 enc = experimental 50 enc
its here mostly to remove 0 enc items

That is exactly what it means. It was changed to prevent massively overpowered clothing setups that gave 100% coverage, tons of storage and 0 encumbrance. In the new system an encumbrance of 10 is identical to an encumbrance of 1 in the old system. Low encumbrance items will get numbers lower than 10, which will stack. So if you wear something with 3 and something with 7, that adds to 10 and causes the expected encumbrance penalties.

Also, there are more layers now, skin, clothing, outer, and strapped (did I forget any?). You can wear 2 items per layer per body part without taking additional encumbrance, but putting more than 2 will give you 10(one in old system) encumbrance per additional item. It’s more realistic this way imo. Though still not realistic at all, since I usually run around wearing tights, panty hose, shorts over my pants and chaps with holsters strapped to them.

Actually you might try to wear even more ridiculous combinations IRL just to protect yourself from freezing. Though not all storage space will be accessible for obvious reasons :slight_smile:
But honestly, while some clothing combination can give you lots of storage space, there is always a weight limit, wear & tear and lots of other micromanagement. I could just mod a warm T-shirt with 100% full body coverage and 1k storage space, and save a lot of time without that silly exploit of game mechanics…

[quote=“Voiddweller, post:6, topic:10818”]Actually you might try to wear even more ridiculous combinations IRL just to protect yourself from freezing. Though not all storage space will be accessible for obvious reasons :slight_smile:
But honestly, while some clothing combination can give you lots of storage space, there is always a weight limit, wear & tear and lots of other micromanagement. I could just mod a warm T-shirt with 100% full body coverage and 1k storage space, and save a lot of time without that silly exploit of game mechanics…[/quote]

From what google tells me about average temperatures in New England and what I know of keeping comfortable and safe in the winter…I think the real killer in New England winters would be wearing so much that you begin to sweat while exerting yourself (perhaps while running like hell from a zhulk), then when you slow down, said sweat freezes and sucks all the heat out of you. Sweating should be a thing…no wait, forget I said that. Frostbite that actually causes damage should be a thing first, then sweating that causes clothes to get wet which leads to frostbite faster would follow naturally.

Anyway, I digress, we could all cheat stuff in if we wanted, but then where does it end? Not fun, imo. What was this thread about anyway? Tentacles? How’d we end up here…

Malkeus wanders off muttering to himself and swatting at invisible flys

Actually you might try to wear even more ridiculous combinations IRL just to protect yourself from freezing. Though not all storage space will be accessible for obvious reasons :slight_smile:
But honestly, while some clothing combination can give you lots of storage space, there is always a weight limit, wear & tear and lots of other micromanagement. I could just mod a warm T-shirt with 100% full body coverage and 1k storage space, and save a lot of time without that silly exploit of game mechanics…[/quote]

Feet: Woolen socks, x2 pairs, 56k USB modem x1.
Torso/Arms: Dress shirt x1 Jumpers x2, Housecoat, Loose-knit blanket, Feather quilt.
Legs: Underwear x1 Thermal… long-johns?x1, jogging pants x1, cargo pants x1, Housecoat, sheepskin x1, feather quilt.
Head: Scarf, Bobble hat, headphones, Feather Quilt.

True Story.
Winter Layering Level: Legendary++.

Also I need to find a new footwarmer, these new WiFi routers are flimsy as hell and hardly produce any waste heat at all.
Going to have to use my laptop power transformer if this trend continues.

[quote=“Iosyn, post:8, topic:10818”]Also I need to find a new footwarmer, these new WiFi routers are flimsy as hell and hardly produce any waste heat at all.
Going to have to use my laptop power transformer if this trend continues.[/quote]

A cat is fine too.

My cat isn’t long enough. She already occupies my lap, keyboard and half an arm at the same time. She’ll just lie there and fall asleep for hours.

Can’t wait to go home at the end of this semester. The lack of fuzzy cuddles at night is seriously affecting my sleep.

Oh, there’s an easy remedy for that. Invest in a good longcat!

A sufficiently long cat can be worn as a scarf, wrapped around your feet, and still keep your lap warm, all at the same time.

Just remember that comfortable temperature for cats is above 15 C (59 F) unless you have any zombie cats.
Anyway it is always a pain to keep your body appendages warm, and tentacles makes that even more difficult. Need a woolen or fur tentacle sleeves.

Also, in reality keeping body warm while moving is way more easier than trying to sleep in some cold basement. I once tried to sleep in a factory bomb shelter after some exploring. There were only old NBC suits around, have to use them as blankets. There were not that cold outside, ~ -20 C (-4 F) but that night were far from being comfortable. Sleeping outside would be a hell on earth…
Drunk people, sleeping outside can easily get a 3 or 4 degree frostbite, that leads to necrosis and amputation. Meningitis is also a huge problem, as well as internal inflammation.