Temperature effects are way to ridiculous

I believe in version 0.2 temperature has been effectively disabled. All the GUI stuff is still there but temperature never updates.

If you’re still cold, then you need to delete your template.

Temperature is crazy busted in 0.2. It's 66F, and it's impossible to sleep due to cold.
I believe in version 0.2 temperature has been effectively disabled. All the GUI stuff is still there but temperature never updates.

I see there’s some disagreement about this. I was wondering, too, since my character was supposedly ‘cold’ even in 65 degree weather, and no amount of clothing seemed to change that. He was still able to sleep, too.

So, yeah, for what it’s worth, it looks to me like it’s disabled in version 0.2. I’m going to start undressing now. :slight_smile:

I am able to go between very cold and comfortable. depending on the number of sweaters i have.

If temperature effects are disabled, how did I get a common cold? How can I cure it, and how can I avoid it in the future? I also seem to need insane amounts of clothes to sleep, although sometimes some bodyparts are hot in the morning.

Common cold is not part of bodytemp, that is part of healthy-ness I think. If you eat too much junk, and don’t take your vitamins, you get a cold.

Do you get the message “the cold wakes you up” ? And diseases like “hot torso” from sleeping? Because if so, that’s weird. With bodytemp being off, sleeping shouldn’t change any of that. :x

Edit : Also, temp effects are slated to be turned back on, so I will be keeping an eye on this thready!

The cold wakes you up thing has been stated from darkling to be a side effect of using a character template from the previous version. Old character templates start much colder than they should, and since temperature won’t update they don’t get better, and can’t sleep.

one of my chars was woken up by the cold, but I’m honestly not that bothered about it at this point, as long as my characters don’t suddenly freeze to death.

Any devs know when the next general update for windows will be? I can’t compile the latest source stuff without cygwin mauling it horrendously. Sounds like you’ve got a lot of fun stuff in there now.

Still, when temperature effects are enabled again, it would be nice to have an option to turn them off, if we want.

I’m a big fan of options. We all have different likes and dislikes, different preferences. And it should be no one else’s business how I want to play a game. (But there seems to be a strong authoritarian streak in some gamers. You have to do it their way, because that’s the best way.)

Of course, this all has to be programmed, so that’s a real issue, especially for volunteers. If it’s too difficult to make some things optional, then that’s always a good argument. I certainly don’t want to enjoy a free game, created through the hard work of other people, and then demand more and more. Heh, heh. Although I might do that sometimes, huh? :slight_smile:

[quote=“WCG, post:29, topic:304”]Still, when temperature effects are enabled again, it would be nice to have an option to turn them off, if we want.

I’m a big fan of options. We all have different likes and dislikes, different preferences. And it should be no one else’s business how I want to play a game. (But there seems to be a strong authoritarian streak in some gamers. You have to do it their way, because that’s the best way.)

Of course, this all has to be programmed, so that’s a real issue, especially for volunteers. If it’s too difficult to make some things optional, then that’s always a good argument. I certainly don’t want to enjoy a free game, created through the hard work of other people, and then demand more and more. Heh, heh. Although I might do that sometimes, huh? :)[/quote]

I looked at one time to adding it, but I will need some guidance from the IRC gurus on how to do it. I definitely want to add it in because not everyone likes it, and sometimes it can be game breaking due to miscalculation. Although I do think the calculations are solid now. I would like to here feedback from people who have updated their templates and characters since the last big change like 2 weeks ago though :x

“when temperature effects are enabled again, it would be nice to”

know that the way cars skid on the road is not affected.

please someone tell me if its my imagination or not, but driving around in the winter with a 3400kg built-up flatbed on wide wheels is truly an awesome thing because of how the thing skids through corners unless you’re going one or two notches slower than in the summer. even snow and plain chilly seem to make a difference.

i know you guys are talking avatars, but please, someone, :), think of the cars!

In this context, “enabling temperature” is body temperature. It is seperate from tire/pavement temperature. Honestly, I am not even sure that that is taken into consideration or not!

So do fires actually heat your character? I’m standing inside a burning house and dying of frostbite (at 56 F? I’ve taken colder showers)

I am giving fire a buff, I overlooked it when I made some changes a while ago. Care to elaborate on how you are getting frostbite at 56F? What are you wearing, did you recently sleep in the cold, etc.

I will be fixing frostbite occurring in above freezing temps too.

Can’t recall exactly what I had since I died (remember to DROP the C4 you arm thwacks head)

Fur hat, moccasins, socks, army pants for sure. Char got about an hour sleep but woke up from the “cold”, okay, it was a stone floor and 60 out so I get that. Went out wandering in the dark until morning, found a FEMA camp. Started clearing it of zombies. Several soldier zombies stood inside a small building hitting the reinforced glass but otherwise stuck inside.

It started raining and I was already “very cold” and that’s when I started getting frostbite. Even inside one of the concrete buildings I ducked into. I smashed a chair and started a fire, thinking it might dry and warm me, instead I just took more damage from smoke and kept getting frostbitten. In desperation I broke every table in the place and set the whole thing on fire. Didn’t help so I fled outside.

Tried to blow up the group of soldiers through the wall with C4 I found. Forgot to place it after arming. woops.

For reference, here is a comment block in the code with information that I would like you guys to compare to.

/* Here lies the intended effects of body temperature

Assumption 1 : a naked person is comfortable at 31C/87.8F.
Assumption 2 : a "lightly clothed" person is comfortable at 25C/77F.
Assumption 3 : frostbite cannot happen above 0C temperature.*
* In the current model, a naked person can get frostbite at 1C. This isn't true, but it's a compromise with using nice whole numbers.

Here is a list of warmth values and the corresponding temperatures in which the player is comfortable, and in which the player is very cold.

Warmth  Temperature (Comfortable)    Temperature (Very cold)    Notes
0        31C /  87.8F                 1C /  33.8F               * Naked
10       25C /  77.0F                -5C /  23.0F               * Lightly clothed
20       19C /  66.2F               -11C /  12.2F
30       13C /  55.4F               -17C /   1.4F
40        7C /  44.6F               -23C /  -9.4F
50        1C /  33.8F               -29C / -20.2F
60       -5C /  23.0F               -35C / -31.0F
70      -11C /  12.2F               -41C / -41.8F
80      -17C /   1.4F               -47C / -52.6F
90      -23C /  -9.4F               -53C / -63.4F
100     -29C / -20.2F               -59C / -74.2F

*/

Keep in mind that sleeping on the floor is incredibly cold, and being tired lowers your body temps too (mutually exclusive, however; sleeping while tired does not make one doubly cold).

Whoa, those assumption temps seem pretty steep
at 72F I’m perfectly comfortable in just a t-shirt and light pants, no shoes or socks
Just a few degrees higher and I’m perfectly fine roaming around in boxers
88 sounds pretty uncomfortable even when naked, unless it was windy or you were swimming

Probably partially relies on where you are from too. I’m a Floridian and I’m sitting reasonably comfortable in a T-shirt and jeans right now. The thermostat says it’s 81. And 90 isn’t bad bathing suit weather.

You kinda get used to the local temperatures to a point. But I’m sure my tolerance for cold is down. I look at my character wearing a kevlar vest a light jacket and army pants, in 45F and I would think I would be nearly freezing to death outfitted like that when it’s that cold. But the character’s fine and happy.

has underground temps been questioned at any point? from experience they’re usually comfortable all year round, regardless of surface temp (unless we’re talking somewhere that has year round permafrost). The Australian desert town of Coober Pedy for example has experienced temps above 45C/113F and below freezing and almost everyone there lives a comfortably insulated life underground.

the one downfall of the LMOE shelter. that and smoke inhalation… and the occasional fire due to negligence…

[quote=“Shoes, post:36, topic:304”] Assumption 1 : a naked person is comfortable at 31C/87.8F. Assumption 2 : a "lightly clothed" person is comfortable at 25C/77F.[/quote]
Yeah, this might be part of the problem people are having. Here in Sweden, 22C is normal indoor temperature. (Houses are heated/cooled to this temperature as standard, though it is not unusual for this temperature to go a couple of degrees above in summer or below in winter. My home is usually around 21C, though that can drop to 18C during spikes of cold.) 25C is uncomfortably hot, and at 31C i would be drinking several liters of water per day just to keep up with the sweating.

Obviously, this is something entirely subjective depending on what you are used to, but most people don’t seem to expect needing such a high temperature. I would certainly never have though about it being that high. Outdoor, and active? I’d be comfortable in around 16-18C.