Tea pot from tin can and others marginal stuff

Like this:

Also egg boiling recipe like on pic.
Do you know what russian criminals in prisons may boil water in plastic bottle?

I do think we ought to be able to boil water in a plastic water bottle.

I mean, Survivor Man does it. :wink:

I wouldn’t believe half of what survivor man does.

Perhaps you could boil water in glass bottles, but I think that placing a plastic bottle over a fire will melt the plastic and you’ll end up drinking water laced with plastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaJbESh_HnU

Plastic insoluble in water. Player with survival skill 2-3 may do this, i thick.

Because the melting point of the plastic is around 150 degrees Celsius above boiling water, and the plastic is thin enough that almost all of the heat can be transfers to the water, the plastic will not actually melt before all the water is boiled away. Most of the damage to the plastic will be on the outside, because the inside of the plastic is direct contact with water, and even then this is supposing that you put it too close to the fire.

It’s kinda like burning a wet newspaper. The newspaper will only catch fire after all or most of the water is gone.

Anyway, the code for it is quite simple.

Just add:
[ “can_food”, -1 ],

to the list of the nontarnishable instruments in the water_clean recipe:

[
  [ "pan", -1 ],
  [ "pot", -1 ],
  [ "coffeemaker", -1],
  [ "rock_pot", -1 ],
  [ "teapot", -1 ]
]

],

Or just copy the whole recipe and modify it to take a certain level of skill if you’re using a plastic bottle.

One problem that other people brought up on this a while ago was that it might be a bit overpowered, and I can understand where they’re coming from, otherwise this would have been merged a long time ago.

I doubt it’d make that much of a difference in the long run, really. Water is usually not a major concern, and you can generally find a pot in the first house you look. A stone pot isn’t a particularly difficult item to make either.

Ye, most of the benefit I find is in the volume I save, but that’s mostly it and wearing two backpack is already a lot of room.

Yeah, it might be not so useful in long run, but it adds some variety to survival concept of game. So, I support Reaper’s idea and vote for some hobo-style survival items (I also believe there was similar thread where also cardboard box home was suggested.) Sitting next to fire, boiling some unedible stuff in tin can… Seems good. )

I wouldn’t believe half of what survivor man does.

Perhaps you could boil water in glass bottles, but I think that placing a plastic bottle over a fire will melt the plastic and you’ll end up drinking water laced with plastic.[/quote]

As shown, it does work. You /can/ do it. :slight_smile:

Oh, I wasn’t addressing it directly, I was talking about the people who feels it’s overpowered. Securing something to boil water in is generally one of the first things you do, and it’s fairly trivial to do so already (and should probably stay that way), so no reason to vote against it because it’s overpowered. Boiling water receptacles shouldn’t be an artificially limited resource.

Well yep it seems that you can do it.

If the video is of any indication though, the recipe should get rid of the plastic bottle. (As it seems that the cap fuses with the rest of the bottle)

Seconding this so much.

In the early phases of this version of the game, finding the implements to boil water was a lot harder than it is now :o. Especially when stone pots did not exist, and the only things capable of doing so were spawned pots and pans where the spawn rates weren’t all that uniform back then making them quite hard to find when RNG decides to screw you.