Suggestion about fires

When fires burn out, they should leave hot coal for a limited amount of time. It would be more practical and realistic.

And then coal could be an item used for recipes. Like a carbon straw, and I’m sure there are others.

I think there are coal pallets. You find them in mines.

If you’re lucky. I’ve never found any. It might make sense to have smaller quantities of coal available at hardware & grocery stores as grill-type charcoal.

I was thinking another cool thing would be to trample small fires out when you or zombies walk on them, rather than them causing damage. Seems more realistic.

If fire continues to hurt and or suck while I am attempting to cook, being able to cook over ‘hot coals’ might prove safer for my everything. Damn blisters. Heh.

What do you mean with if fire continues to hurt?

“Fire” and “Raging Fire” put out enough heat to cause HP damage if you’re close enough to cook things using them. Unfortunately, it’s not always easy to gauge what sort of fire you’re getting when you set the fuel.

Here it says how long things burn if you want to know.

I want coal, too.

i think that hot coals might be more useful than just that.
While you cant cook anything on it, it will still be useful.
It would be just like a fire, except that you can not cook anything on it. But you coul still place another 2x4 on it to start up the fire again. Sorta like a mid step between fire and nothing. A way to conserve your lighter/matches.

Anyone agree? Probably easy to code, just take regular fire, cool it down, change a few names and it will be fine. Right?

[quote=“Otaku, post:11, topic:2542”]i think that hot coals might be more useful than just that.
While you cant cook anything on it, it will still be useful.
It would be just like a fire, except that you can not cook anything on it. But you coul still place another 2x4 on it to start up the fire again. Sorta like a mid step between fire and nothing. A way to conserve your lighter/matches.

Anyone agree? Probably easy to code, just take regular fire, cool it down, change a few names and it will be fine. Right?[/quote]

Are you sure? Traditional outdoors BBQ is typically done over hot coals. You can bury vegetables or even bread dough in hot coals to cook. (How To Stay Alive In The Woods, Bradford Angier, 1976 paperback, pp.83-4) Oppose.

By hot coals I think something like this. Not too cookable, what do you think?

Make charcoal in a sealed metal container from wood.

Great idea.

If you can fry an egg on a car hood that’s been out in the sun, I’m pretty sure you can cook stuff on glowing hot embers.

Flames are just a biproduct of fuel molecules being ejected into the air and decomposing, which in turn gives off light. (to put it simply) Just because something is not giving off flames doesn’t mean it’s not hot. Magma doesn’t give off flames. It is still molten rock, however.

I don’t know how many things I have cooked over red hot coals just like the ones in that picture. I don’t know how many times I have tucked a piece of wood into coals like that and watched it immediately burst into flames. So I don’t know why you think it can’t cook stuff. =P

Anyway, I like the idea. Fuel added to hot coals should have a chance to ignite automatically (perhaps some kind of flammability stat for object? I dunno) and thus you could keep a ‘campfire’ going without the need for additional matches. Just like you can in real life. Hot coals should turn to cool coals just for effect, which can disappear over time like blood stains.

Also like the idea of making charcoal. You should also be able to build a charcoal pit by digging a pit, and then building a charcoal pit from the menu (survival?) using chopped wood and a shovel and an ignition item. Then you wait 24 hours and bam, stacks of charcoal. Which make for good fuel sources and might be required in other recipes.

That was kinda my idea but i didnt know how to say it. lol

A little charcoal, some sand, and a rag make for a very effective water filter as well. It wouldn’t sterilize it by any means, but it can make even stagnant water/sewage considerably safer in real life.

It would be a very easy recipe to add to the game if they add this. It wouldn’t sterilize water, but it could be a power free way to reduce the risk of illness from all water sources with only a basic survival skill.

[quote=“drake1storm, post:18, topic:2542”]A little charcoal, some sand, and a rag make for a very effective water filter as well. It wouldn’t sterilize it by any means, but it can make even stagnant water/sewage considerably safer in real life.

It would be a very easy recipe to add to the game if they add this. It wouldn’t sterilize water, but it could be a power free way to reduce the risk of illness from all water sources with only a basic survival skill.[/quote]

I like the idea.

Yeah, not sure if I find that charcoal is used enough to make it an item. I mean, why add another material just to make a fire? Why use firewood in order to create firecoal? As for the filter part, not really. This game only tracks clean or not clean. It does not track sterilization, solutes or other contaminants.

Hot coals, yeah, I guess it might sorta kinda maybe possibly eventually … cooks something. But the game does not give individual tracking times for different fires does it? So cooking a slab of meat is not the same on a raging fire as it is on coals right? I dont know, I guess that the final decision is up to the devs if they want to do it or not.