It's wintertime. What's the most effective fuel to burn?

I’m tempted to burn logs, but I’m not sure if the game sees it as different than, say, skewers. The winter is about a month long and I would prefer to burn fuel in the most effective manner possible. Thank you!

lots of two by fours.

Burning it for warmth, or crafting? If crafting, use whichever burns as long as the crafting session. If warmth… not sure. You wouldn’t need it to be very hot, just a small fire would still add heat to the room and give you a bonus if you stay beside it. Sorry I don’t have a better answer yet!

I need to test just how long each wood item burns for on a character with no speed bonuses, write up a chart, and then make a section titled “Burn times in turns” and link it to all wood-burning item pages. I also want to test if adding multiple items to the fire makes it burn longer, hotter, or just as long as the longest-burning item. Unfortunately, I do not code-dive and do these things manually.

If someone else has done that already, I WANT TO KNOW THESE THINGS TOO.

[quote=“Pthalocy, post:3, topic:7961”]Burning it for warmth, or crafting? If crafting, use whichever burns as long as the crafting session. If warmth… not sure. You wouldn’t need it to be very hot, just a small fire would still add heat to the room and give you a bonus if you stay beside it. Sorry I don’t have a better answer yet!

I need to test just how long each wood item burns for on a character with no speed bonuses, write up a chart, and then make a section titled “Burn times in turns” and link it to all wood-burning item pages. I also want to test if adding multiple items to the fire makes it burn longer, hotter, or just as long as the longest-burning item. Unfortunately, I do not code-dive and do these things manually.

If someone else has done that already, I WANT TO KNOW THESE THINGS TOO.[/quote]

Also to test: is it best to gradually add fuel or to shove it all in at once?

Vegans.

Barring an adequate supply of those, zombies.

Vegans.

Barring an adequate supply of those, zombies.[/quote]
We already ate the vegans

Will add that to note-to-self.

Vegans.

Barring an adequate supply of those, zombies.[/quote]

Sig’d

The abundance of benches and such in the shelter usually means splintered wood for me. I use the two by fours for other things, but the splintered is basically useless.

Heretics Zombies(more their clothing) of course!
If you lack that, any kind of wood.

a good supply of firewood is tainted meat with high survival level you get realy big amout of it i craft and heat up base with it

unless there ain t no forest nearby you have an abundance of firewood at your disposal.

Also : burning lots of wood at once will only result in lots of wood burned in the same time-… it doesn t burn longer.

Yup. Tainted meat can’t start a fire, but it is flammable.

I just use two-by-fours. Mostly because they’re what’s available (And with a screwdriver and hammer you can get a -lot- of two-by-fours from furniture around the house). Splintered wood if I have that from smashing stuff, too.

From an in-character sense I can’t see my guy using tainted meat or zombies in general as fuel, because holy shit that would stink. I don’t think I’d be able to sleep in a house that smells like smoldering dead people.

Heavy sticks do nicely for me because they’re so damn abundant in forests! Just smash down a few young trees and you should have a nice duffel bag full. They usually burn for quite a while, and sometimes I whack on some newspaper pages I find on the ground, too.

Logs are really nice as well, because once they’re done burning you can usually relight the burnt log unless you’ve made a raging flame!

Never really tried burning bodies or tainted meat before, mostly because that sounds like it would make me puke x.x and puking is a horrible waste of precious liquid!

Rags usually do the trick as well, and if you’re near some houses or you’ve finished off a zombie killing spree, then they’re quite abundant too.

With the new mass salvaging ability, I find rags and leather patches to be abundant and very good fuel.

[quote=“Chaz, post:14, topic:7961”]From an in-character sense I can’t see my guy using tainted meat or zombies in general as fuel, because holy shit that would stink. I don’t think I’d be able to sleep in a house that smells like smoldering dead people.[/quote] for guy what allways wear a gas mask is nothing bad…

I usually add meats I was unable to cook in time, as a means of ‘safe’ disposal of wasted goods. They do add to the fire the same way tainted meat does. If items added simultaneously don’t in fact stack for time burning, it makes the most sense to chain-add items so their individual times overlap.

My approach was always to add something medium-sized like a heavy stick, and then craft an item or two, then add a splintered wood or some newspaper. Just enough to extend the cooking session I was performing without having to use another lighter charge. Evidently this method does in fact make sense ingame. I just did it that way because that’s what I’d do irl - make a fire, and only add a little more fuel rather than a whole new log. Out of habit I never leave a burning fire unattended, so make it so it’s dying down when I’m done with it.

This reminds me: test if fire ‘freezes’ in it’s current state of fuel consumption when the player leaves it’s reality bubble. I suspect this is a good way to extend fire life when you’ve added a big log and suddenly realized you need more meat to eat.

When i revisit places where i have cooked months ago the fire is still burning provided the place was far away enough from me. So yeah fire doesn t die if it ain t in your reality bubble.

Which is kinda silly. Then again, it would totally screw over the game’s shiggy something speed if it rendered everything happening everywhere. Though, I would absolutely love it if the reality bubble was at least expanded to be much larger somehow. Make the world feel more alive.