Still something wrong with calorie consumption

Not necessarily they don’t get more nutrition from the food they eat. Their bodily functions are quicker (hence the faster metabolism) so their digestion should also go quicker.

We are forgetting that activity in cataclysm that (edit:) should calories but isn’t considered currently: healing.

Given that in game your characters heal what should take months in weeks and what should take a few weeks in days, you would expect them to need a LOT of calories to heal that quickly.

Just imagine going a character with regeneration going form overweight to starving in a few days as there body tries to heal 2 broken limb and a completely scuffed up body in a matter of days burning through every available calorie.

1 Like

oh… is that a fact? code based? then i should re-evaluate my report…

I highly doubt the devs thought of that, just saying, otherwise it would simmer down if you’re on full hp. If they did then not having it calm down on full is an oversight.

I would like that to be a thing though.

my bad mistype, so takes should have been should.

Maybe we should talk about more latestage lines having the ability to eat rotten and tainted meats.

Like, why else would you be a full slime mutant other than post food scarcity?

You don’t have to build a mobile base per say, driving won’t be particularly tiring or calorie dense, but what it will force is breaks in your looting/raiding. Sustaining 5 days of heavy combat and gear carrying is incredibly rough, even for professional soldiers, and thats a normal town clearing adventure in CDDA. Do some looting/combat, then spend some time at base reading, crafting, and recuperating.

The new blood system thats been proposed will probably put a natural cap on combat as consistent wounds will lead to consistent blood loss, and blood takes time to replenish without relying on infusion or the like.

Edit: To be more clear with the initial car comment - You don’t need a mobile base, but you do need a car to go to and from a stationary base with any significant loads, much like IRL

yes basically what I said, something to use for long travels

consider that i am half surrounded by forests so in order to go to a new loot area I have to cross a dozen of map tiles of bushes

Molotov.

Also, most players probably almost never drop their ±33kg carrying load of various equipment and things they might need at their base or wherever they rest. Imagine never being able to put down a backpack weighing 73 pounds.

1 Like

I guess I’m one of the few who dresses down and drops most of the gear when futzing around base, eh? I keep a holstered pistol and a knife, and have my go-kit near where I start unloading loot with my weapons and tools. The idea of wearing my full combat load around ‘home’ all the time just makes my shoulders hurt. Had to grab that rifle off the go-kit a few times to clear out something nasty wandering in from the woods on occasion.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw a long term fatigue system in the game. Would probably give an incentive to slow down reading and scale out crafting timers to be more realistic too, if we’re looking at situations where the player is effectively mandated to have some downtime. Less ‘loss’ when you are sore as hell and gotta stay in.

If we are talking about long term fatigue than blob healing might have an effect on that. Long term fatigue is just microscopic damage to the muscles if the significant faster healing rate also applies to this type of damage you might have that you recover from multiple days of exercise in let’s say one day. This would also have the effect of you gaining strength and muscle mass way quicker at the cost of many calories given the quick increase of muscle mass.

The current food system is absolutely ridiculous. I can eat six raspberries when I’m “very hungry” and suddenly I’m fully engorged, for an hour until I’m very hungry again. I could also eat 80 units worth of various organs over the course of a day and still tip over to underweight after sleeping. Hell, I ate an entire fridge’s supply of butter in the early game and came no where close to overweight. I get that some people want realism, but this the whole calorie system is ridiculously unwieldy. A regular person does not have to eat ultra-dense protein bars to keep from being anorexic.

2 Likes

Dany_Raven et al: given that we just massively tweaked it in the last two weeks I’d very much like more concrete information so I can see where the flaws are. How much are you eating, and how much are you doing? If you stay home crafting, what kind of calories have you spent?

At the moment I think we might need to tweak hunger reports so that high activity levels cause your hunger reports to come up faster (don’t think we’ve implemented that yet), and we may need to tweak the calorie burn of medium level activities. Those were the trickiest to balance in the design phase as well.

Wondabarappa: while there are clearly things to tweak in this system, some of what you’re describing doesn’t sound inappropriate at all. You are six cups of raspberries, felt full, and then shortly afterwards were hungry again? That is… Pretty much what happens, yes.

1 Like

My characters keep jojo-ing between Very Hungry and an empty space, I literally only see the Hungry status once or twice on day 1 right after starting a game and have never seen the Peckish status even once in the past week of playing.

Peckish isn’t a valid status for the hunger system to display, is why. As for the other, you’re consistently under ‘healthy’ calories.

To expand on that a teensy bit, “hungry” is some combination of “your stomach is empty” and “it’s been a while since you last ate” and “very hungry” is that plus “your total calorie reserves are low”.

1 Like

Is there a CBM that gives detailed information about your nutrition/health?

Wouldn’t or rather shouldn’t Self Aware trait give more accurate information? If I would know precise information about my body, it stands to reason my actor should know more accurate self knowledge about hunger too :thinking:

PS- Thanks for the clarification on hunger. I had pondered this.

So I struggled with this calorie system for a LONG time but I think I got it working in my favor now.

• Expanded digestion CBM gives you more calories, this is great if you can get it.

• This may be unintended, but caloric density is paramount above everything else. I’ve had by far the most success with low volume foods. Believe it or not, cookies > pemmican, especially if you use a high calorie fruit. Did you know you can shove like 30 cookies in your pockets? They last a while too. I’ve given up trying to understand what this system is supposed simulate and embraced the cookie life. Might need to supplement with vitamins or some apricots on the side for health, but yeah cookie calories have yet to let me down.

• Unload sugar out of every container you can find, scoop up a bunch of wheat from a farm, then all you need is fruit or something.

• Cookies are basically like those protein rations except they’re a fraction of the volume, enjoyable, and much healthier. The only downside is that they’re perishable. I am an unstoppable cookie cyborg.

• You can toggle self-aware from the mutations menu to get your numeric “health” value. This is related to vitamins and micro-nutrients, I assume. I tend to worry about this only after I can meet basic calorie needs, since that’s much harder to do for some reason.

I’m not sure how stomach volume works numerically but I think your stomach gets “full” far too easily. I think consumed food should get reduced to a fraction of its volume due to chewing, etc. Either that or the calorie count needs to be scaled to food volume. Is it even possible to eat a chocolate waffle without throwing up? I’ve never gotten the impression that I can consume much more than .75ishL at a time, even with my “expanded” stomach. Right now it feels like the system is pushing me to min-max the calorie/volume ratio, which isn’t intuitive or immersive.

2 Likes