Steam Dark Days Ahead

Hey man! Any news on your project? I can’t wait to play CDDA on steam!

Sorry, little delays. I remember about the project. The Steam page for CDDA will be available no later than Sunday (2021-09-12). I still have to prepare a some new banners/capsules because Valve has added some new type of capsules :D.

The Steam page for CDDA will be available no later than Sunday (2021-09-12). Sorry :D.

Thanks! :smiley:

As you say, I want the game to be played by as many people as possible, I think that the graphics can unfortunately be the problem… Also, the automatic update is good reason :). About github: I don’t know yet, we’ll see (it depends on the community). I think Steam version will only be an improved graphical and audio version + automatic Steam updates. But there is no problem to put different branches, if necessary, I can put builds on Steam from github.

Thanks and forgive me for answering, so slowly but I have some work to do.

PS. I’ll reply to private messages later (1-6 days).

3 Likes

This seems pretty interesting, while you say the CDDA Launcher can be on the betas branch doesn’t the CDDA Launcher itself have a license to deal with as well? not too familiar with this stuff myself, either way hope it works out without issue can at least keep track of my game time easily if it does. Good luck

I’d just be happy if the launcher gets an update that makes it stop crashing when backing up worlds unless you manually set it to realtime priority. (Windows 10 doesn’t allow script processess to be set to realtime priority from the command line any more, using the option just sets it to “High” priority.)

I’m also interested about the Steam Deck out of the box support, but this can be easily tested under Linux as long as the native build will be uploaded since the game won’t even require Proton. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Also this could be nice to have merged, although it’s not yet sure whether Steam Deck woill be running on Wayland or X (though in desktop mode it will be KDE which runs under Wayland nowadays) Fix rendering routine on native wayland by MalteT · Pull Request #51053 · CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA · GitHub

Well hello there!

First of all, my first BIG hope for having this game on steam is mod workshop. That would be a HUGE bonus for mods.
However, I can’t find the game anywhere on Steam sooooo… what happened?

No, it won’t be a huge bonus for mods. More like an opposite. Non-existing versioning for the mods will get you all the broken mods you want.

Are there any updates on this?

I’ll check it later. The game will be on Steam in the version that the community wants, otherwise it doesn’t make sense. And the new branches will help us, because maybe someone will want to use the current version from https://cataclysmdda.org/, but will be happy with the automatic updates + keep track of game time.

I will check it. Did You tried to use Prio, Process Tamer or Process Hacker to set it to realtime priority? Thanks.

Valve want to make Steam Deck available to developers (I made a request for a Steam Deck for dev). Yes that’s true, if there is a build for Linux, you don’t need to use Proton. But you can install on Steam Deck e.g. Windows 10, Windows etc., I’ll check out information about Wayland/X on the closed develpoer forum. When I know something, I will let you know.

The workshop may be a very good idea, but we will see if the community accepts it and as Zhilkin wrote if there will be no problems.

At the moment, the game will appear on Steam with new graphics, sounds, music and will receive automatic updates. There is some work, but of course workshop is not a problem.

Sorry for delays, but my job :frowning: … This week I will do it for sure (if not, you can kill me like a zombie, but wish me good luck :wink: . I wanted to publish it 4 days ago but I improved some graphic elements (descriptions, capsules / banners etc.), but I think is fine and the rest will change later (after your feedback). I know some people wanted to help with Steam (edit descriptions etc.), so we’ll talk later.

Yup, you can even boot from microSD to test Windowses, but thanks for asking about Wayland support! :slight_smile: And yeah, the first wave of dev kits was sent already and various developers got it already. I’ll be sure to test CDDA on Deck when my arrives, too, hopefully late December :stuck_out_tongue:

Let me know if you need help testing anything :slight_smile:

I’m really interested what the control scheme would be like on steam deck?
It’s a really great idea in any occasion.
(PS: Didn’t see anybody mention this but cataclysm on the go is already a thing, officially on android through github and outdated google play version and through unofficial versions on app store, still would be neat to play on steam deck though).

Damn this is one ugly release page, the banner is terrible and the Ultica tileset with the brownish filter over is trully awful. Why take extra work to make it look so bad, just copy paste Ultica.

Assuming Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead on Steam is the steam page you made, we have some serious problems.

1. You are in flagrant violation of the license DDA is released under.
  2. The page presents you as the primary developer of the game.
  3. Much of the metadata on the page is grossly inaccurate, most glaringly you claim support for a large number of languages that have no or incomplete translations.
  4. You are using it to cross-promote your other steam games.
  5. It does not link back to any parts of the existing community.
8 Likes

Lol, the segments of the early access disclaimer are great. Glad to know that CDDA will be complete and a fully finished game in 2-3 years.

1 Like

Full controller support?

plan to add more unique servers
single player (campaign etc.)

Thanks :smiley: . Different control scheme can be set, don’t know which one would be the best? Need to check. Yes that’s right CDDA is available on Android.

The Steam version would also have Steam Cloud. You can continue the game anywhere on Earth :D.

1. Can you write more? And what about the Android version, does it break licenses too?
  2. Not. You are a developer. I cannot add an empty publisher section.
  3. The new translation will be prepared by me.
  4. What do you mean? Steam is displaying my games on the product page it’s normal, it may be removable but I have to ask.
  5. I can add any website and redirect to any forum.

Yes, I want to add a some new things to the CDDA (full controller support etc.).

The page can be edited at any time (so, CDDA can be complete and a fully finished game in 12-30 years :smiley: ).

Like as I said before, if you want the Steam version or not, let me know. I said this not problem to remove product page any time etc., I’m not here to do anything against you. That’s why I spoke to Kevin before and now to the community. But remember that someone will sooner or later release the CDDA on Steam without talking to the community.

So, do you want the Steam version or not :wink:? It’s no problem for me, but let me know, because I need to know what to do next :crazy_face: (better for me to quit working on CDDA Steam version now). Let me know.

1 Like

I never said I wanted a Steam version, I’ve consistently said the opposite, but I’ve also said I can’t stop you as long as you comply with the license. To be clear, no I do not want a Steam release of DDA. You’re not doing me a favor, this is a huge hassle for me.

If you want to continue anyway, you must understand and comply with the licenses the software is released under, which includes correctly identifying the licenses of the game, its authors (all of them, not just a few, for example by linking to the contributors page on github), and link back to the main site distributing the game, GitHub - CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA: Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead. A turn-based survival game set in a post-apocalyptic world.

A less mandatory issue is community relations, which includes how you present yourself and your plans on the steam page. This isn’t just a matter of putting your name under publisher and mine under author, it’s about the language you use in the steam page and its other contents. The page overall gives the impression that you are driving the project yourself instead of acting as a publisher. You might have intended this to be “from the team”, but that would also be misleading as the DDA project is not involved in the steam release.

9 Likes

I just have it added as a non-steam game, works great… how would achievements work though? in the debug menu you can reenable achievements, that could be broken i think.

Still, full controller support might not even be possible with Cataclysm control scheme. Partial - yes, maybe. Additionally what does “plan to add more unique servers” even means?

It is better to clarify or edit Steam page description.