Questions about project governance (was Small Ass Inventory Menus ?)

Forgive my ignorance but is CDDA a completely open source code project? I have spent a long long time with a similarly coded game (SS13) and being upset that the dev time of volunteer coders is not funneled in a specific way that you deem important is mostly pretty pointless. That is not to say that making wildly unpopular changes should be tolerated wholesale but people presumably code a project like this for fun and trying to get them to make things they do not want is a fairly worthless endeavor.

That said i do like the old inventory style better as well

Yes it’s 100% open source.

Man the amount of vitriol here is pretty astounding. Doing it for free does not mean a free pass to make whatever you want but it is pretty dumb to be mad about “Coders not doing what i want reeeeee” when for most of them coding is a hobby. If you tried to force coders to work on certain projects there is a really good chance they would sooner just leave.

Do you have a similar system to us where code maintainers ultimately decide what gets merged and what does not? Features like making the inventory unnecessarily smaller was bound to piss off more than a few people.

Man the amount of vitriol here is pretty astounding. Doing it for free does not mean a free pass to make whatever you want but it is pretty dumb to be mad about "Coders not doing what i want reeeeee" when for most of them coding is a hobby. If you tried to force coders to work on certain projects there is a really good chance they would sooner just leave.

I think the bitterness has more to do with how they didnt consult other people or the public opinion. We all also got to remenber that we are both one dependent of the other, and that a lot of people are attached to the game, so bias is going to be a issue when talking about it (not that it is something complety bad).

I am concerned that the idea of changing it back seems to be getting more scrutiny than it did when it was added.

I feel the same way. Fixing bugs is fine and all, and I realize this project is open-source and can use all the help it can get, but changing key elements of the game should undergo community discussion before approval, no?

Of course if one wishes to make their changes into a mod, that’s an entirely different matter.

No, they shouldn’t. This isn’t a community-run project and I don’t know where you got that idea.

The project is run by me (“owns” the project, final say on features), a small group of core developers who review and merge changes, and a much larger group of contributors who make pull requests on GitHub. There are also translators who are effectively independent and a handful of people other me with moderation rights on the forums. Mod authors who host their own mods are also independent.

While we (the core contributors) ask for feedback and discuss issues on the forums pretty regularly, we aren’t asking for a vote or community consensus, just feedback and discussion.

we get it that you own the project and whatever, but i mean, its bloody obvious just look around !
i seriously havent seen anyone saying “inventory is so good now that is added” VS the shit load of people saying "oh my fuck the inventory sucks"
just saying games are made to be enjoyed, why keep something clearly no one likes ?

No, they shouldn't. This isn't a community-run project and I don't know where you got that idea.

The project is run by me (“owns” the project, final say on features), a small group of core developers who review and merge changes, and a much larger group of contributors who make pull requests on GitHub. There are also translators who are effectively independent and a handful of people other me with moderation rights on the forums. Mod authors who host their own mods are also independent.

While we (the core contributors) ask for feedback and discuss issues on the forums pretty regularly, we aren’t asking for a vote or community consensus, just feedback and discussion.

Got to say that hitted pretty bad, although if it was for someone to make a copy of cdda and start calling it something else (cdda+) and developing it on a different direction on github, that would be alright ?

[quote=“Charlesilv4, post:9, topic:13146”]

No, they shouldn’t. This isn’t a community-run project and I don’t know where you got that idea.

Got to say that hitted pretty bad, although if it was for someone to make a copy of cdda and start calling it something else (cdda+) and developing it on a different direction on github, that would be alright ?[/quote]
CDDA is open source, so yes, that would be alright

No, they shouldn’t. This isn’t a community-run project and I don’t know where you got that idea.[/quote]

My original point was, put simply: It is disconcerting that you’re putting such emphasis on justifying changing it back, when the initial PR is where the justifications and questioning should have been to begin with.

No, they shouldn’t. This isn’t a community-run project and I don’t know where you got that idea.[/quote]

My original point was, put simply: It is disconcerting that you’re putting such emphasis on justifying changing it back, when the initial PR is where the justifications and questioning should have been to begin with.[/quote]
yes, right on fucking point
it just doesnt work when you add it without anyone ever hearing about it then look for a shitload of justifications just to change it back
you know, when you look at it this way, it just seems like YOU prefer it so it should be in the game, no offense but that’s how its turning out to be

While we (the core contributors) ask for feedback and discuss issues on the forums pretty regularly, we aren’t asking for a vote or community consensus, just feedback and discussion.[/quote]

Oh, sorry then. Guess I had the wrong idea.

Guys… chill… I enjoy the game as it is… i downloaded a recent version,and i enjoy it. I get used to the new stuff and i move on. I understand bothsides. I like this community… i dont post so much around, but this game is a blast! There are things that needs to be worked on. And people are commited from their free time to create this stuff, that kept me excited for hours. Also I understand the other point, that we all are connected somehow by this game whereever we are at. So things should be added, that are welcomed.

What I want to say, let things develop in their pace. It will be changed again… its an evolution. And in general the game is becoming better

I keep surviving on, thats for sure! :slight_smile:

Guys.... chill... I enjoy the game as it is.. i downloaded a recent version,and i enjoy it. I get used to the new stuff and i move on. I understand bothsides. I like this community... i dont post so much around, but this game is a blast! There are things that needs to be worked on. And people are commited from their free time to create this stuff, that kept me excited for hours. Also I understand the other point, that we all are connected somehow by this game whereever we are at. So things should be added, that are welcomed.

What I want to say, let things develop in their pace. It will be changed again… its an evolution. And in general the game is becoming better

I keep surviving on, thats for sure! :slight_smile:

Why theres always somebody on this forum telling people to chill, its a fracking critical look on the game and we are in no way being disrespectifull towards anybody. So people keep saying for us to stay quiet about how things on the game are going on, sorry not going to happen.

I’m new to CDDA and do enjoy the game immensely. Probably you vets start to be too attached to your pets features? In any case this project has a much better interface than Dwarf Fortress or Prospector and I’m very grateful for that.

Didnt say to shut up… but whatever!

Didnt say to shut up.... but whatever!
What I want to say, let things develop in their pace.

I guess somebody missed their text understanding :slight_smile:

we aren’t asking for a vote or community consensus, just feedback and discussion.[/quote]
Which will be discarded out of hand.