[SPOILERS] Urban Development

It shouldn’t be the max occurrences that limit anything. The debug message should only happen if you set the minimum occurrences above the number that can actually, physically happen in game.

This is fantastic work, loving the variation and new buildings.

I’m using “max number of allowed specials” as the physical max the om can support. The build that I created and tested all these would never generate a [0,1] occurances building after a certain number of specials were added. Not sure if it is still the case or if More Locations being used as a furniture dependency pushed number of mandatory specials over the limit.

Thanks for the support, let me know if there are buildings you really want to see.

It works like this:
If the number of mandatory specials is at or above maximum, only mandatory specials will be generated. If they can’t be generated on current overmap, they will be generated in nearby randomly selected ones.
If the number of mandatory specials is well below maximum allowed, non-mandatory specials will be generated in free spots.

The mandatory slots are wasted on stupid shit like motels (2 minimum occurrences - to what end), like 5 campsites, cemeteries, road stops and so on. Once the maximum is reached, ALL non-mandatory specials are always dropped and never considered, then current mandatory specials stop being 100% mandatory and turn into “kinda important”.
You could PR a drop in mandatory specials for things that shouldn’t be mandatory. Or you can keep working against the system by bumping mandatory specials above maximum, but then expect it to behave badly at times.

I believe minimum of 1 should only be set for quest related overmap specials (like prison or strange cabin), isn’t it?

I’ve reduced minimum occurrences of several overmap specials to 0 in #22103 (https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/22103):

• Hotel - (from 1 to 0);
  • Motel - (from 2 to 0);
  • Gas Station - (from 2 to 1);
  • FEMA Camp - (from 2 to 0);
  • Radio Tower - (from 1 to 0);
  • Public Works - (from 1 to 0);
  • Apartments_Con - (from 1 to 0);
  • Apartments_Mod - (from 1 to 0);
  • Office Tower - (from 1 to 0);
  • School - (from 1 to 0);
  • Fungal Flowers - (from 1 to 0);
  • Evac Shelter - (from 5 to 1);
  • Mall - (from 1 to 0);
  • power_station_large - (from 1 to 0);
  • Home Improvement Superstore - (from 1 to 0);
  • campsite - (from 1 to 0);
  • campsite_cabin_incomplete - (from 1 to 0);
  • campsite_field_biker - (from 1 to 0);
  • campsite_a - (from 2 to 0);
  • campsite_field_biker_destroyed - (from 1 to 0);
  • rest_stop - (from 1 to 0);
  • roadstop_a - (from 1 to 0);
  • roadstop_b - (from 1 to 0);
  • cemetery_religious - (from 1 to 0);
  • Dairy Farm - (from 1 to 0).

I’m not sure about some of the specials though. Public Works, FEMA Camp, School, Mall, power_station_large and Fungal Flowers should be probably left intact?

Figured since the current over map specials system doesn’t work for interior city generation, it’s only a temporary issue for urban development buildings. There are tons of things that could be addresses but the mod and use of over map specials only exists to demonstrate the buildings to prevent a giant pr.

I love this mod, you’ve made an amazing work!
But in my latest runs this mod seems to prohibit almost all map specials except labs. So the map looks like empty forests and fields with TONS of labs and very few specials.

Sewer / subway connections are broke, also bar in dense urban 38 has washing machines in windows (W letter is duplicated with palette).

Original post updated for the new buildings. If you would like to run the test city mod you can grab it from the below pull request.

2 Likes