Socks?

How does the game differentiate socks from boots and other footwear?

{ "type" : "ARMOR", "id" : "socks_test", "name" : "test socks", "weight" : 32, "color" : "white", "covers" : ["FEET"], "to_hit" : 0, "storage" : 0, "symbol" : "[", "description" : "Test socks.", "price" : 8000, "material" : ["plastic", "null"], "volume" : 1, "cutting" : 0, "warmth" : 25, "phase" : "solid", "enviromental_protection" : 1, "encumbrance" : 0, "bashing" : -5, "flags" : ["VARSIZE", "WATER_FRIENDLY", "SKINTIGHT"], "coverage" : 100, "material_thickness" : 1 },
This, for example, results in socks that isn’t socks, but rather a footwear.

Good question. I have no idea.

Hmm. Well, you do know that those socks are made out of plastic, right?

It does it on a material basis, and slightly different than you think. It’s actually differentiating out the shoes, with all items by default becoming sock types unless they fit the shoe materials. Currently shoes are any footwear made out of

(worn_item->made_of("leather") || worn_item->made_of("plastic") || worn_item->made_of("steel") || worn_item->made_of("kevlar") || worn_item->made_of("chitin"))) {

By the way 80 dollars for a pair of socks, talk about ridiculous future inflation.

So if I made socks out of my modded material that isn’t leather etc they will act as socks?

So if I made socks out of my modded material that isn’t leather etc they will act as socks?[/quote]More importantly, anything made of iron (medieval plate boots), wood (clogs), carbon fiber (these), or wool felt (valenki), will be considered a sock. Methinks items need an actual “this is an ” tag thing.

edit: though I suppose you could make a case for valenki being a really thick, tough, and rigid kinda sock, since they’re often worn together with galoshes and stuff.

It seems to me that we should throw out the current materials check and rely on the “skintight” clothing flag instead. Simple, logical, already implemented.

I agree with that. Simple and easy.

Yeah now that I’ve looked at it, that’s a pretty ridiculous thing.

At any rate, PR’ed!