Modkits for Clothing

Is it possible to apply the mod-kit system used on guns onto the clothing system so that things like waterproof (and other tags) can be applied with certain items, but possibly not removed?

like some sort of coat you can pour hot wax onto to make it even more water proof :slight_smile:

Or add some extra decorations to give it the “FANCY” tag and benefit from Stylish bonuses.

I would love to be able to modify clothing to the point where I can make myself a Stylish Waterproof Striped Pink Trenchcoat of Storage +15.

Or add some extra pockets to give more storage.

Or camouflage, so monsters don’t recognize you as an enemy :smiley:

I need something to protect my fluffy tail… like a bowtie… er i need that anyway.

This looks like a really good idea. More options for late game armor.

Basically - and in my own words - a choice between:

Hardened , whereas you make your clothing somewhat heavy duty,

Appealing , such as having aesthetic skills to enhance a military (officer) shirt into something more civic,

Bulky , as in a way to add some straps, pockets and webbings to a clothing piece if you don’t mind some extra encumberance.

I can see another Camouflage flag here, but I’m not exactly sure as to how the scent and vision coincide with monsters.

I Think we could remove survivor gear. For example, a survivor cargo pants is just a heavy modded cargo pants. He use the modkits: kevlar armor (adds +3 cutting +1 enc.), waterproof, extra pockets (+4 storage, add pocket tag), improved mobility (remove 5 coverage, 5 warmth, -1 enc.). All numbers are just suggestion, i just used that so we have the same stats of survivor cargo pants.

It would be truly awesome if one could make FANCY items into SUPER_FANCY items with enough tailoring skill, and become a post-apocalyptic fashion designer!

Stealth isn’t in yet, but when it is, a camouflage option might be doable.

BE FIERCE!

I CANNOT DESCRIBE HOW HIGH MY ENTHUSIASM IS FOR THIS IDEA!

KEVLAR REINFORCED TUXEDOS

PINK STYLISH POWER ARMOUR

…POWER ARMOUR HIGH HEELS.

But yeah, I’m with this all the way. 8/8 gr8 m8 plz cr8

[quote=“Jakers, post:11, topic:8164”]I CANNOT DESCRIBE HOW HIGH MY ENTHUSIASM IS FOR THIS IDEA!

But yeah, I’m with this all the way. 8/8 gr8 m8 plz cr8[/quote]

STYLISH, ARMORED, POWERED SLEEPING BAG.

I HAVE WON. ALL OTHERS MAY GO HOME.

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:12, topic:8164”]STYLISH, ARMORED, POWERED SLEEPING BAG.

I HAVE WON. ALL OTHERS MAY GO HOME.[/quote]

Fuck that… tail tie or riot!

EPIC AWESOME SUPERALLOY UCP-POWERED SPIKED PLATED BONDAGE SUI- Gets shot

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:12, topic:8164”][quote=“Jakers, post:11, topic:8164”]I CANNOT DESCRIBE HOW HIGH MY ENTHUSIASM IS FOR THIS IDEA!

But yeah, I’m with this all the way. 8/8 gr8 m8 plz cr8[/quote]

STYLISH, ARMORED, POWERED SLEEPING BAG.

I HAVE WON. ALL OTHERS MAY GO HOME.[/quote]

Stylish, Kevlar, powered UNDERWEAR because why not.

In other words +1 to this

What if for mutants instead of a message saying you can’t wear such and such a piece of clothing you ‘force’ your way into it. Tagging it with something like “slipshod” “disheveled” or “forced” This would keep you from getting the ‘fits’ bonus and reduce the offered protection and warmth of the item. You could still reinforce it however. Obviously you couldn’t force plate armor to conform to you or anything else you can’t alter with a needle and thread, but I think mutants need to accept that they need to adapt to their puzzling anatomy. Also, if it isn’t already the case all stone-age clothing items like loincloths, animal pelts and the like need to be mutant friendly.

I also think that certain mods should only be able to be put on certain clothes. Much like how you can’t put a rifle scope on a pistol you shouldn’t be able to do much of anything with skin-tight clothing or add a bunch of pockets to something that didn’t have storage to begin with.

I think its just reasonable that a mutant with sufficient ability in sewing would be capable of crafting clothes that fit him/her perfectly.

Perhaps, but I have my doubts such a piece of clothing would look or even function in the same manner it did before. That’s why I think mutant friendly clothes should gravitate towards straps, pouches, ponchos, etc. etc. rather than imagine a spine covered, shell-girded tentacle monster perfectly tailored a tuxedo.

My problem is that if at the end of the day a tailor can sit down and make Lady Gaga’s outfits, I don’t exactly see it being a stretch that a sufficiently skilled tailor could go “Yup. I’m stuck with tentacles now. It’s 40 below with the windchill, better make SOME BLOODY GLOVES.” rather than “WELP. FUCK. ALL THIS CLOTH, FUR, AND LEATHER. BETTER LAY DOWN AND DIE”

I can understand that for balance reasons people don’t want Powered Armor, etc to work for mutants but there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to make winter clothes, etc with sufficient skill. Especially considering we can sit down and build Plasma Rifles, Uber-Vehicles, Mini-Nukes, and others with sufficiently advanced skill.

What’s also worth mentioning that while the assorted ‘new skin’ provides various ups and downs, almost every mutation tree removes your ability to wear armor that protects you from Radiation, Bullets, and Fire. I’m not asking for power armor, but it’d be nice to be able to take a bullet, or just not die from radiation sickness after staying in a radiated area for a few seconds because “You can’t wear a hazmat suit over your Large Talons”

Which is why the whole mod-kits for clothes thing could be a nice solution. Either a blanket “Apply kit, get upgrade” for the low-end of the effort scale, a percentage of the item’s “volume” to upgrade it (EG to armor a Trenchcoat you’ll need 15 Kevlar plates. (Trenchcoat has volume of 17, coverage of 90%, 90% of 17 is 15.3, round to nearest whole number is 15.))or at the most complicated level a list of requirements in the JSON. Some kit ideas (mostly expanding on what others said already):

Waterproofing: Made with Chemistry. When applied it gives “As long as you don’t go swimming” water protection.
Light Armor Kit: Made with Fabrication. Requires Kevlar and doesn’t increase encumberance, increases weight by 25% adds the durable tag.
Medium Armor Kit: Made with Fabrication. Requires Ceramic Plates, increases encumberance by 1, increases weight by 45% adds the durable tag.
Heavy Armor Kit: Made with Fabrication. Requires Steel Chunks, increases encumberance by 2, increases weight by 90% adds the durable tag.
Winterization: Made with Tailoring. Requires Fur. Increases weight by 15%
Light Cargo Kit: Made with Tailoring. Requires Cloth, adds pockets.
Heavy Cargo Kit: Made with Tailoring. Requires Cloth, adds pockets, increases weight by 25%
Fancy: Made with Moderate level Tailoring. Requires Silver.
Ultra-Fancy: Made with High level Tailoring. Requires Gold.
Mutant-Kit: Made with Tailoring. Requires different materials to fit the primary material type to adjust. Deals with most “You can’t wear x over your mutation”
XL Kit: Made with Tailoring. Increases weight by 50% Deals with the post “You burst out of your clothing” mutations.

Obviously, some of these kits can’t be applied to certain things (EG you can’t make something that’s fancy, fancy again. Or waterproof a raincoat.) and you’d need a tool to apply the kit.

Fortunately, someone said that it’d eliminate the survivor gear. In actuality I think it’d only cut down on it, it’d still be useful to have suits, all in one masks, as well as the assorted worn tools.

That’s all pretty cool.

The problem is that it’s hard to cut down on items. Items do weird shit when you remove them. Perhaps we could change all clothing we are phasing out into placeholder items that can be disassembled for the materials used?