So...how often does this happen?

I just created a fresh world and character in the latest experimental (0.A-2122) and went downstairs into my evac shelter. I was greeted by a decayed zombie and…this:

Bug? Stupidly lucky? Or does it happen often?

Had this happen a few time now.
I think the spawn rate has been increased.

That’s a zombie basement. You are quite lucky. You’re off to a better start than usual!

The rare “stocked” basement.

except uh, the one TINY bit of damage he did to me was a bite on my arm. which is now infected. and there’s no antibiotics down here.

I bandaged it up though, im hoping thats enough. I wasnt even going to leave this place for a while since there’s a couple skill books but now I might have to go looking for more first aid…

The RNG giveth and the RNG taketh

Better hurry. Bandaging it isn’t gonna help against a bite.

i think i saw a matchbook in there so you should be able to kauterize that wound if you act fast enough.

I wish I knew that was a thing sooner.

That’s going to be my biggest downfall in DDA, not realizing everything can be used in multiple ways just like IRL. Too conditioned from other games that are “Nope, sorry, you can only use that item in the one very specific way that we determine for you. Creativity is not allowed”

edit -----

I also apparently have no idea how to actually do this. I tried to 'a’ctivate the matches and target myself and it just says “But you’re already smokin hot” which is pretty damn funny. I dont see any kind of option to use it on myself, or an item to heat up, or cauterize anything

(a)ctivate a knife, with matches/lighter in your inventory.

does it need to be any special kind of knife? I have a ‘pocket knife’ but the only options are

1. cut up fabric / etc
  2. carve writing on something
  3. cancel

There’s also a hotplate in here which, according to the wiki I can also use to cauterize. When I activate it it just takes me directly to my inventory asking what I want to heat up. I’m on experimental 2120 if that matters.

Soldering irons also work as cauteries, and you can spam cauterize until you annoy the RNGods enough to disinfect your wound. Just be wary of the pain.

[quote=“sradac, post:10, topic:7395”]does it need to be any special kind of knife? I have a ‘pocket knife’ but the only options are

1. cut up fabric / etc
  2. carve writing on something
  3. cancel

There’s also a hotplate in here which, according to the wiki I can also use to cauterize. When I activate it it just takes me directly to my inventory asking what I want to heat up. I’m on experimental 2120 if that matters.[/quote]
I think you need to have a cauterizable (unclean/bleeding, but not already infected) would first for it to appear.

And don’t use wiki as anything but bare guideline, it’s hilariously outdated by now.

If the wound has gone from blue to green, its infected now, you need antibiotics or royal jelly to clear it up.
Damn lucky on that basement though, ive had them with a pack of zombie dogs and once a shocker, brute and tough zombie. Neither ended with me leaving the safe house alive.

Hmmm, strange. I’ve thought that cauterizing wounds was exclusively used to stop bleeding, but not an infection. Also, I’ve tried to cauterize the wound on my left arm (blue text) with a pocket knife and a lighter once, but it didn’t show up the choice to do it. :confused:

It has been bugged in some experimentals, but generally you can cauterize with a knife and fire source or a soldering iron, possibly a welder as well. The option only comes up if you have a wound by memory (also if you can masochist) but its been a staple way to cure wounds at the cost of a fair chunk of pain since the whales versions I think.

A first aid kit also works, if you can find one. I’ve been playing the “really bad day” start scenario, and yeah, it appears that you’ve got a very limited number of options and are going to have to take some risks.

(As an aside, I actually really like the “Really Bad Day” scenario; I’d say about 1/2 of the time you start deep enough in town that you have no chance, but if you play carefully and can find a way to heal your infection without getting eaten right at the start, you can get some really nice character builds to play with.)

I think in order for the cauterize option to appear you need a bit of skill in survival/first aid.

Nah, its something I often do day 1, no skills needed unless its been changed recently.

Cauterize is currently a 50/50 chance to remove infection vs. making it worse, and when I get a chance I’m probably going to remove it’s ability to remove infection entirely, because cauterization doesn’t work that way in the real world.

so for future reference, the plan is to only make it stop bleeding? I mean that makes sense because as you said, in the real world.