So...how often does this happen?

Really? I was under the impression that cauterization would heal stuff IRL, but the reason why we don’t do it anymore is because of the scarring and burns…

Did a tiny bit of research: http://themedicinejournal.com/articles/does-cauterizing-a-wound-really-work/ . Turns out that it does kill bacteria, and stops bleeding … but scars, burns, AND leads you more vulnerable to other diseases.

So ideally, successfully cauterizing a wound should stop bleeding, stop the terminal infection, but give a constant and steady debuff to the health stat, which will ultimately lead to a (hopefully less serious) infection. After a long period, that steady loss of health should stop.

[quote=“digitCruncher, post:21, topic:7395”]Really? I was under the impression that cauterization would heal stuff IRL, but the reason why we don’t do it anymore is because of the scarring and burns…

Did a tiny bit of research: http://themedicinejournal.com/articles/does-cauterizing-a-wound-really-work/ . Turns out that it does kill bacteria, and stops bleeding … but scars, burns, AND leads you more vulnerable to other diseases.

So ideally, successfully cauterizing a wound should stop bleeding, stop the terminal infection, but give a constant and steady debuff to the health stat, which will ultimately lead to a (hopefully less serious) infection. After a long period, that steady loss of health should stop.[/quote]
Actually, in real life, if you ignore your brain screaming at you, you can easily stave off the down sides of cauterization using damp bindings.

Note, DAMP. If it dries, your going to have a fun time watching your body try and incorporate that towel as horrifically painful pseudo-skin.

Also, its important to mention that your body can heal surprisingly well with small scale burns, allowing things like this to heal fairly quickly. It creates a fun, unfeeling, bubble of everything needed for fast healing. Its like a bacta tank, only yellow, smelly, and only existing long enough to heal a few layers of skin.

Cauterizing may help you with your infection. Or it could make it worse.

It’s a 50\50% chance.

Cauterizing may help you with your infection. Or it could make it worse.

It’s a 50\50% chance.[/quote]

Well, I know that already, but my problem is that I’ve updated to the latest experimental and I still can’t cauterize wounds with a knife (didn’t test a welder or soldering iron, though). But anyways, the wound has been successfully disinfected with the first aid kit.