Slowly losing health when sleeping?!

When ever I sleep I get the message in red text: “You get up feeling horrible, as if something was messing with your body.”

I’ve tried Antiparasitic Drug, Antibiotics, Royal Jelly and even the Stem cell treatment from the hospital terminal.

Nothing seems to work, my health just keeps slowly decaying when I sleep.

I’ve tried sleeping on beds but that doesn’t seem to stop it either.

The sequence in the log reads:

• You lie down to go to sleep…
  • You fall asleep.
  • You use your pile of clothes for warmth.
  • You feel well rested.
  • You get up feeling horrible, as if something was messing with your body.
  • You wake up.

My only though is maybe this is the effect of the Flu Shot I took a season or two ago wearing off?

So far my health has fallen into the yellow and keeps reducing. I’ve been kind of holding whatever is happening in check with bandages and the like but it is a losing battle.

I’m running Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead build #6510 using the following:

• Extended Realistic Guns
  • Icecoon’s Arsenal
  • Makeshift Items Mod
  • Medieval and Historic Content
  • More Survival Tools
  • PKs Rebalancing
  • Crazy Cataclysm (I can’t remember if I’ve got this one in or not.)
  • Mining Mod
  • More Locations
  • Tall Buildings
  • Boats
  • Folding Parts pack
  • Vehicle Additions Pack
  • Cataclysm++
  • EXTENDED_BUILDINGS
  • Parks and Rec Building Pack (I think I’ve got this one installed.)
  • Disable NPC Needs
  • Simplified Nutrition
  • StatsThroughSkills
  • ZSFIXED_C:DDA Extra Professions & Gears

Radiation maybe?

I know radiation is invisible and doesn’t show up in the @ menu, but aside from that I’m not very familiar with how radiation operates.

Is there a way to detect if you are radiation poisoned and the extent of the poisoning?

I have a few Iodine tablets, I’ll try taking them.

Is there a better way to treat radiation exposure or are Iodine tablets the go to cure?

Do you have any bad bionics? Leaking bionic mainly.

Geiger detector or radiation badge are the only ways of detecting one’s own radiation that I know. Other than suddenly mutating, but mutating by radiation needs a lot of rads.

Iodine tablets and waiting AFAIK.

And like Noc said, it may be a leaking bionic too.

Currently I have no bionics installed.
(Oddly I don’t like installing them, but I do like collecting them?!)

I think that I’ve got a radiation badge stashed away. I’ll go try using it and post the result.

I just built a geiger counter and used it, the results are:

• Your radiation level: 0 (0 from items)
  • The ground’s radiation level: 0

Just crafted and used the radiation biomonitor, the results was:

• You are not currently irradiated.
  • Have a nice day!

So I guess that rules radiation out unless a radiation badge could provide a different reading?

[quote=“Outcast, post:7, topic:13851”]I just built a geiger counter and used it, the results are:

• Your radiation level: 0 (0 from items)
  • The ground’s radiation level: 0

Just crafted and used the radiation biomonitor, the results was:

• You are not currently irradiated.
  • Have a nice day!

So I guess that rules radiation out unless a radiation badge could provide a different reading?[/quote]

The “You get up feeling horrible, as if something was messing with your body.” message is a health message.
So now I would ask if you have been living like a junkie on a fast food diet this past year.

Because besides that I can’t think of anything else that may affect your health.

Edit: also you are currently crashing health-wise, You may be far under the natural healing point.

I have the “Junkfood Intolerance” trait so I’ve been avoiding eating food that has that property.

It’s possible that I’ve been eating something I thought was healthy but was actually junk food. My understanding was that all Junkfood name’s displayed in red text if you have the “Junkfood Intolerance” trait so I’ve been using that to avoid eating them.

What method can I use to restore my current state to the natural healing point?

Is there a food or drug that I should be consuming?

You said you collect CBMs, now would be a good time to install a leukocyte breeder, and use it.

Otherwise start eating multivitamins like candy, and pray that the RNGod is in a good mood.

Unfortunately I don’t appear to have a leukocyte breeder bionic in my stash yet, I’ll keep an eye out for one.

I just read something that suggested that injection of a Flu Shot also raises this “health” stat, which apparently is not the HP itself so much as the ability to regenerate HP.

Fortunately I think that there is a Flu Shot on a shelf somewhere nearby I can use.

Is there any chance of overdosing on vitamins, and if so how many are safe to take at a time?

You can’t overdose with it(I think).

Due to how health mechanics works, it doesn’t work much if you gorge on them, you need to peace them for a span of time.
Exactly, I don’t know but normally when I want to raise my health I use 2 every day, one when waking up and another when going to sleep. So I would say 1 every 12 hours or so.

As far as I know, PK rebalancing has multiple effects that destroy health. Could be it.

Check your mutations, theres a deadly mutation chain that causes a slow deterioration of the body, up to basically you rotting alive.

So good news, maybe?! I’ve been snacking on vitamins (2 per day as recommended) along with calcium tablets for a while now and it appears to be working. My HP regenerated by a very small amount when I last slept and the message displayed was a bit more filled with hope:

• You feel well rested.
  • Awareness seems to only come with a battle… and your body seem to be on its side.
  • You wake up.

[spoiler]Additionally I’ve found something called a “Gamma Globulin Shot” that’s description reads:
“This immunoglobulin booster contains concentrated antibodies prepared for intravenous injection to temporarily strengthen the immune system. It is still in its original packaging.”

Will this act like a flu shot and give my Health a boost or does it have a different function?[/spoiler]

Fortunately it doesn’t appear that I have contracted the hostile mutation you described, at the moment my current mutations displayed when I use the “View/Activate Mutations” menu are:
. Truth Teller
. Strong Scent
. Junkfood Intolerance
. Melee Weapon Training
. Animal Discord
. Clumsy
. Quick
. Trigger Happy
. Less Sleep
. Strong Back
. Packmule
. Ugly
. Deft
. Poor Hearing
. Heavy Sleeper

If as you suggest PK Rebalancing’s monsters are the cause of my declining health I may need to train up my ranged skills. So far I’ve just been wading into them in heavy armor with a sword and shield, perhaps this is not the best strategy for surviving the apocalypse. X_X

You put this in spoilers so I will do the same. The Gamma Globulin Shot strengthens your health while the flu shot decreases the chances of a cold or flu, I am not certain if the flu shot also makes health go up.

One way to get your health back up quickly is to eat soups, mostly woods soup, and drink teas.

Yeah, when my health is low, one thing I do is to stop drinking water - I only drink herbal tea. One find of herbs makes 20 tea, and and it doesn’t go bad, so make a ton! It’s small, but if you really replace all your water intake with herbal tea, it can make a very significant difference (broken cyborg REALLY benefits!).

But basically any food with a positive health number is useful, and many of the broths and soups are quite useful in that regard.

Healthy food is mostly placebo. Its effects are negligible, barely noticeable. Most of the health changes come from bionics, radiation, PK mod effects and just pure RNG.
It is a known problem, but it probably won’t be fixed before 0.D. It’s not trivial to fix.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:18, topic:13851”]Healthy food is mostly placebo. Its effects are negligible, barely noticeable. Most of the health changes come from bionics, radiation, PK mod effects and just pure RNG.
It is a known problem, but it probably won’t be fixed before 0.D. It’s not trivial to fix.[/quote]

Individually, that first part is completely true… but if you really have a serious input of healthy things (as I suggested), it does make a difference, even for a broken cyborg - I’ve tested. Oh sure, you can’t keep up with health damage you’re taking from the leaky bionic (unless you get lucky and find a Leukocyte Breeder, of course), but simply replacing water with herbal tea makes big difference in how long it is until you reach “no healing during sleep” territory.

Of course, that was before the nutrition overhaul (last time I really put that to the test), so maybe it’s even worse than that now, since the nutrition overhaul seems to have been, um, not a positive development.

The RNG involved is so huge that you’d need to repeat this test more than 10 times to get meaningful results.
You almost certainly just got luckier on the test with herbal tea.

Herbal tea has 1 healthy mod per 44 quench. Even assuming you consume over 2x as much of it as you need (non-mutated character needs 288 quench per day), that’s 15 healthy mod per day.
Leaky bionic has 1 in 500 chance (1 minute is 10 turns, so on average 28.8 times per day) of dropping healthy mod by 50.
So no, it was not herbal tea here. Just RNG being RNG.
This part of the code didn’t change since then, it always like that, except when we had vitamins that boosted healthy mod like reverse leaky bionic.