Slime Pits

So, thanks to NaturesWitness, we now have uses for slimes!

Slimes now drop slime scraps, or pieces of blobs that have been smashed so utterly they do not appear sentient any longer. NaturesWitness also added recipes for mutagen, slime mutagen, superglue, and goo canisters.

If there’s one thing I hate, it’s games that structure everything around the player :stuck_out_tongue:
You’re a visitor to this world, it is utterly indiferent to your existence, have fun.
Also the game world has the same policy.[/quote]
Amen to that.

[quote=“dwarfkoala, post:41, topic:3572”]So, thanks to NaturesWitness, we now have uses for slimes!

Slimes now drop slime scraps, or pieces of blobs that have been smashed so utterly they do not appear sentient any longer. NaturesWitness also added recipes for mutagen, slime mutagen, superglue, and goo canisters.[/quote]
Oh cool, my thanks to NaturesWitness :slight_smile:

Wow, I had no idea that would be so popular, thanks everybody! Although the real thanks goes to KA101, he thought up the idea, I just coded it.

I’m actually thinking of adding another use for slime scrap, making your own Bloggy! And what is a Bloggy you ask? Why, it’s Man’s Best Friend, now available in a can! The full description of the idea is at https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/4018, so take a look and tell me what you think! If you can’t comment on GitHub, just leave your opinion here, I’d really like to know what people think of this idea before I start on it.

I like it, I have a pet blob the other day and it’s was awesome, so now Bloggy - which is a dog-like blob, would double up the coolness.

My support for this.

I think Bloggy is a really clever idea, but personally I wouldn’t want to see it in a core release I’m playing.

For one, a large part of what appeals to me about CDDA is the sense of desolation and solitude against overwhelming odds. Granted, this aspect of the game might change depending how NPCs are ultimately utilized (honestly, if NPCs ever get a really sophisticated and deep place in game I can see this game being so different than it is now that something like Bloggy would fit it).

Secondly, I’m not a huge fan of the depth of non-traditional zombie tropes stuff that’s been highlighted thus far. Extensive martial arts, supernatural denizens, medieval + flaming weaponry, etc. Not going to turn it down as obviously some like it, but I’d generally prefer developers focus on perfecting and expanding the traditional, canonical zombie stuff than whimsy.

All this said, it’d be a cool mod, my personal preferences certainly aren’t law :slight_smile: and people are obviously free to work on where their imaginations takes them.

[quote=“dotASC, post:46, topic:3572”]I think Bloggy is a really clever idea, but personally I wouldn’t want to see it in a core release I’m playing.

For one, a large part of what appeals to me about CDDA is the sense of desolation and solitude against overwhelming odds. Granted, this aspect of the game might change depending how NPCs are ultimately utilized (honestly, if NPCs ever get a really sophisticated and deep place in game I can see this game being so different than it is now that something like Bloggy would fit it).

Secondly, I’m not a huge fan of the depth of non-traditional zombie tropes stuff that’s been highlighted thus far. Extensive martial arts, supernatural denizens, medieval + flaming weaponry, etc. Not going to turn it down as obviously some like it, but I’d generally prefer developers focus on perfecting and expanding the traditional, canonical zombie stuff than whimsy.

All this said, it’d be a cool mod, my personal preferences certainly aren’t law :slight_smile: and people are obviously free to work on where their imaginations takes them.[/quote]

Disregarding the “Bloggy” because I think it’s bloody ridiculous and that’s the end of my opinion on that, the “non-traditional zombies” and “supernatural denizens” are explained by the lore. Medieval weapons aren’t exactly something one can complain about, flaming weapons are… Stupid in my opinion, but they’re there now and there’s nothing I can do.

For more on the lore of the game, see your local lab for more information.

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:47, topic:3572”]Disregarding the “Bloggy” because I think it’s bloody ridiculous and that’s the end of my opinion on that, the “non-traditional zombies” and “supernatural denizens” are explained by the lore. Medieval weapons aren’t exactly something one can complain about, flaming weapons are… Stupid in my opinion, but they’re there now and there’s nothing I can do.

For more on the lore of the game, see your local lab for more information.[/quote]

I was being tactful on the Bloggy issue.

I am a big fan of the non-trad zombies, and am not complaining about the supernatural creatures or medieval weapons. I guess I’d just prefer that certain extraneous components of the game design take somewhat of a back seat to simpler game play issues.

For instance, in a true zombie apocalypse, I believe it’d be more likely a survivor would focus his attention on finding firearms and corresponding ammunition than taking the necessary steps to forge unwieldy replicas of 400 year old weapons, or commit himself to practicing mysterious martial arts. In a more properly balanced item distribution system, maybe access to proper modern weapons would be common enough to outweigh the urge to craft your own flaming anime katana.

But I understand it’s more fun to concentrate on adding simple fantasies to the game than working on the philosophical core of its game design.

The game definitely has more inventory than it really needs and less compelling gameplay changes since the whales days.

Putting it tactfully.

EDIT: Annnd I’m dragging another thread off topic for an argument…

Right, slimes, personal opinion on the “Bloggy” I don’t like it, it seems a bit far-fetched and a little OP, I don’t see the problem with the Goo-Canisters as is. Is it because we can’t command the blob we summon?

Except there’s not some unlimited access to modern weapons, even in the real world. How many people live in your average city? 20, 30 thousand? Maybe 10,000 of them walking around as zombies now? You got enough bullets for 10,000 zombies with spares left to hunt?

Now, you say “unwieldy replicas of 400 year old weapons”. Metalforging isn’t some ancient lost art, it’s still done TODAY. Not just for things like knives, but there’s plenty of artisans who still make their own metal tools for various use. While a smaller percentage of people may do it now, it’s not dead and we haven’t lost understanding of it, and swords are studied even today to understand why some designs are as lethal as they are. It wouldn’t be an unwieldy replica, it would be an actual blade, probably of higher quality as our methods of refinery and finding ores have become better. While flaming weapons might be a stretch, an actual sword is very far from unreasonable.

My idea about the game is a bit different (or is it a lots?) from you guys. From the first time I see the name “Cataclysm”, the first thing came to my mind wasn’t “zombies” but the image of a chaotic world, destroyed, ruined by many disasters. The game gives away a feeling similar to SCP, an alternate universe in which all manners of horror has been unleashed (zombies, nether creatures, giant insects, triffids,…) upon humanity. But not just strange creatures, but strange technologies and a mix of the supernatural too (SCP came to mind again and Biosock). I acknowledged that the game will try to have a fairly realistic gameplay (eating, body part, morale, diseases,…) and at the same time have the not-so-realistic elements like nether portals, rapid mutations, etc… and I grow to like it. In this aspect the game is somewhat similar to NetHack (which I played the hell out of it) - the game doesn’t take itself very seriously despite all the “survivor simulations” it has, a hotchpotch soup but a delicious one nonetheless.

That why I support the Bloggy idea, of course I don’t want it to become an op/up thing, but that a different matter. We can add it and balance it as we go.

I’m kinda with infectedmochi on this, I don’t really see this game as just a zombie apocalypse, it’s a combination of every bad horror movie or novel ever made, all wrapped up in one big “it-hath-hitteth-the-fan” storm of a mess.
I do concede the point we really should focus more on gameplay code and less on new items, but I think that’s a result of this being a group effort. A lot of coders (like me) are new to this kind of thing, and don’t have a lot of knowledge about programming. I would love to make a lot of deep, meaningful gameplay improvements, but that’s WAY over my skill level. So I make the stuff I can, which is usually stuff like items because that’s what I understand.

The United states has about 95 GUNS per 100 residents. There are almost enough rifles, carbines and handguns to kill an entire town if they were being used as disposable melee weapons!

That isn’t counting police or military firepower. Never underestimate the American appetite for gratuitous amounts of firepower.

Anyhow, I think the ‘bloggy’ is just a bit silly when we already have deployable ‘goo in a can’. I DO think some sort of horrible multi-tile Shoggoth Ubbo Salath Shub Nigguroth inspired tentacular mutated slime womb abomination would be appropriate for the depths of the slime pits.

The United states has about 95 GUNS per 100 residents. There are almost enough rifles, carbines and handguns to kill an entire town if they were being used as disposable melee weapons![/quote]

Yeah that figure seems more than a little bit complete bullshit. Source please?

Sounds like something out of a bukkake video.

Sounds like something out of a bukkake video.[/quote]

I now travel with rainy-day molotovs for just such an occasion.

I’m guessing you don’t live in the US.

I’m guessing you don’t live in the US.[/quote]

The figure is something around 2-3 guns to every citizen if I remember right:

Pistol for Home Defence, Shotgun for Hunting, Rifle for Target Practice.

I like the bloggy idea but I don’t like dogs, I hope Nature’s Witness makes a Blitten version as well.

As Natures Witness points out, it’s a community game, some of the contributors simply don’t have the coding chops to work on core gameplay stuff, but they can contribute new items and such, and in the process edge their way into contributing more involved stuff. Both are valuable in of themselves. Also it’s not a 0-sum equation, just because particular content got added doesn’t mean other content would have been added otherwise, often it’s the specific feature that gets someone interested, and they would never have even thought to do something else.

Speaking specifically for myself, as #1 bottleneck for the project, the new items don’t take up much of my time, since they’re generally straightforward to merge and don’t usually cause new bugs. They aren’t generally keeping me from doing other stuff. It’s the big mechanics stuff like inventory handling shennanicgans that do that, and there’s no way around them.

The default for the game IS “crazy apocalyptic potpourri”, but that’s what we have classic zombie mode and the (still pending) mod manager for, if bloggy goes in, it definitely won’t get marked “classic”, and in the future you’ll be able to excise elements you don’t like from the game in a straightforward way. So it shouldn’t be an issue.

I do think forging a weapon in the first few weeks of the cataclysm is a bit premature, but hey, it IS a game, and it’s something I could see a survivor doing eventually. Now martial arts… whew, if this stuff actually happened I’d be spending every moment I could practicing the martial arts forms I know, and looking for training material for others would be high on my list of things to do in the first few months. Even if your primary weapon is a gun and you have unlimited ammo, martial arts training would pay absolutely MASSIVE dividends down the road. From the trope pov, there’s definitely a more action-y subgenre of zombie movies that incorporates martial arts, just yesterday I watched the (terrible) movie “I am Omega”, it’s definitely in the genre.

I do kind of like the blob-dog idea. I like fighting with friendly creatures by my side, so anything that gives me more pets is fine by me.

And not to contribute too much to the derail, but having watched Fist of the North Star recently, martial arts definitely has a place in the post-apocalypse, and I eagerly await the inevitable mod that replaces all the zombies with roving biker bandits in bondage gear.