Running on x64 Elementary OS (Luna)

Hi!

I have been trying to get the game running in Elementary OS to no avail. The pre-built packages, both the stable and experimental builds say “zsh: no such file or directory: ./cataclysm” or “./cataclysm: ./cataclysm: cannot execute binary file” when using bash. Compiling doesn’t work either:

#define VERSION "0.A-4025-g922b053-dirty" mkdir -p obj g++ -DLOCALIZE -Wall -Wextra -g --std=c++0x -MMD -I/usr/include/ncursesw -c src/action.cpp -o obj/action.o In file included from src/worldfactory.h:7:0, from src/game.h:24, from src/action.cpp:7: src/catacharset.h: In constructor ‘utf8_wrapper::utf8_wrapper(const char*)’: src/catacharset.h:52:35: error: type ‘utf8_wrapper’ is not a direct base of ‘utf8_wrapper’ src/action.cpp: In function ‘action_id handle_action_menu()’: src/action.cpp:712:43: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare] src/action.cpp:719:44: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare] make: *** [obj/action.o] Error 1

Do I need any :i386 libs or something?

Elementary is based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, just in case. I just want to install the terminal version, either the stable, the experimental or the compiled builds. Any one has any ideas of what I’m missing or what is the easiest way to run Cata on Elementary?

“No such file or directory” sounds like you aren’t launching it from the right place. Are you trying to run the launcher? That’s mostly for OSX.
“cannot execute binary file” sounds kind of like a library issue, though it’s normally more verbose than that.
I see when compiling you modified the makefile to use -std=c++0x, how old is your GCC? (gcc --version)

The compile error confuses the hell out of me, it’s not making it anywhere with compilation before failing and that error makes no sense.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:2, topic:6688”]“No such file or directory” sounds like you aren’t launching it from the right place. Are you trying to run the launcher? That’s mostly for OSX.
“cannot execute binary file” sounds kind of like a library issue, though it’s normally more verbose than that.
I see when compiling you modified the makefile to use -std=c++0x, how old is your GCC? (gcc --version)

The compile error confuses the hell out of me, it’s not making it anywhere with compilation before failing and that error makes no sense.[/quote]

I tried both the launcher and the plain cataclysm binary. GCC:

gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 4.6.3

I actually tried compiling without the modification you pointed to and the result was:

g++ -DLOCALIZE -Wall -Wextra -g --std=c++11 -MMD -I/usr/include/ncursesw -c src/action.cpp -o obj/action.o g++: error: unrecognized option ‘--std=c++11’ make: *** [obj/action.o] Error 1

Hrm, I thought 4.6.3 would have all the c++11 stuff we’re using.
You DO need 32 bit libraries, but it looks like you aren’t even getting that far.
What does 'ldd ./cataclysm" say?

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:4, topic:6688”]Hrm, I thought 4.6.3 would have all the c++11 stuff we’re using.
You DO need 32 bit libraries, but it looks like you aren’t even getting that far.
What does 'ldd ./cataclysm" say?[/quote]

You mean in the pre-compiled build? It says:

ldd ./cataclysm
not a dynamic executable

(I forgot to say, the sources im using to compile are from the git repo. They don’t include a cataclysm binary, so there’s nothing to ldd in there).

I’m really missing Archlinux and it’s beautiful AUR system hehe

I ran across the issue elsewhere and tracked it down this time. We’re using a c++11 feature called delegating constructors, and it wasn’t supported until gcc 4.7, so that seems to be our minimum version now.

I’m going to look at doing that specific thing differently to push the supported version back to 4.6.