RopeDart- next evolution of the bullwhip

This weapon should be severely hampered or rendered completely useless when fighting in confined spaces.

The ability to crack a whip? Absolutely. But the handle of a whip ((Or the larger, two-handed grip of a giant knout)) are better truncheons than you’d expect them to be, especially if you use some of the whip’s slack to sap someone with them. I say let people make melee attacks as normal but if possible prohibit the [f]iring of whips against mobs that are right next to the player. Sort of a sweet spot that enemies have to occupy if you want them whipped

You’re thinking a harpoon, not a rope dart.[/quote]

Holy crap, I WAS actually thinking of a harpoon… eh, either way, it would still be nice to stop fleeing NPC’s

You’re thinking a harpoon, not a rope dart.[/quote]

Holy crap, I WAS actually thinking of a harpoon… eh, either way, it would still be nice to stop fleeing NPC’s

On the subject of stopping a fleeing NPC though, I wonder if a weapon mod for a crossbow would work? it would help make crossbows more effective if the enemy couldn’t just run away while you reloaded.[/quote]

I feel like a fundamental problem is that people want archaic meelee weapons to beat guns the way they do in action movies or anime. There’s a very, very good reason as to why we don’t use swords anymore.

Besides, there’s only a handful of viable weapon archetypes. Polearms, swords, maces, axes, roughly in that order of “all around” usefulness. Besides that you might find an odd flail, or a hammer, but whips, nunchukus, etc. simply don’t work as realistic weapons. If you want fancy weapons, the naginata is an extremely strong weapon, and so are bardiches and other polearm-style weapons.

In fact, thinking about this makes me realize that melee weapon skills should most likely be a set of polearms/maces+flails/swords+axes, rather than piercing/cutting/blunt.

[quote=“Llamageddon, post:25, topic:8382”]I feel like a fundamental problem is that people want archaic meelee weapons to beat guns the way they do in action movies or anime. There’s a very, very good reason as to why we don’t use swords anymore.

Besides, there’s only a handful of viable weapon archetypes. Polearms, swords, maces, axes, roughly in that order of “all around” usefulness. Besides that you might find an odd flail, or a hammer, but whips, nunchukus, etc. simply don’t work as realistic weapons. If you want fancy weapons, the naginata is an extremely strong weapon, and so are bardiches and other polearm-style weapons.

In fact, thinking about this makes me realize that melee weapon skills should most likely be a set of polearms/maces+flails/swords+axes, rather than piercing/cutting/blunt.[/quote]

As far as the archaic melee weapons go, I think that’s true up to a point. A zombie can’t exactly parry or ripost, nor carry a gun, so why would you waste valuable ammo on them when you could just behead them?

But I do agree that the weapon skills WOULD make more sense in the way you outlined. I believe that knives would have their place as well in that list. Lightweight, totally silent since there’s no impact noise, easy to handle, fast attack speed and if you could target different limbs, go straight for the head

I would be more likely to use a polearm or waraxe of some kind if they had increased functionality. say, the polearm can also spear fish at the same efficiency as a basic rod, or the war axe could chop wood and have basic hammer skills.

Speaking of functionality, I don’t think opening a new thread is worth it for this, but I’m surprised I haven’t seen one of these multi-tools in DDA http://www.wilderness-survival-gear.com/crowbar-hatchet-hammer-combination-tool.html.

I have one that’s hand forged with a wooden handle that’s over 30 years old, so it’s not exactly a new concept. In RL, if SHTF, and weight was more of a concern than it is in the game, I would certainly have one of these in my belt

Spears for fishing are extremely light, you would have a bad time trying to spear fish with a polearm.
Using axes and hammering things, makes sense in some situations, but again, you’re going to have a bad time trying to chop down a tree with a halberd.

[quote=“CosmicKobal, post:26, topic:8382”]Speaking of functionality, I don’t think opening a new thread is worth it for this, but I’m surprised I haven’t seen one of these multi-tools in DDA http://www.wilderness-survival-gear.com/crowbar-hatchet-hammer-combination-tool.html.

I have one that’s hand forged with a wooden handle that’s over 30 years old, so it’s not exactly a new concept. In RL, if SHTF, and weight was more of a concern than it is in the game, I would certainly have one of these in my belt[/quote]
The thing about those multi-tools is they’re mostly garbage. I’ve blocked their inclusion until we get the tool system to a state where it’s a tradeoff between compactness and efficiency.