Bolas

I did a search and there were other people suggesting the same thing, but it was a while ago, and since I necroed a thread last time, I thought I’d start a new one this time.

Bolas are really easy to make, and pretty effective, especially on something that moves slowly.

I’d like to see bolas craftable with rope and either rocks/baseballs/chunks of steel/etc.
Ideally when an animal or zed or NPC is hit with the bola, limited by throwing ability, different things should happen. Animals would be immobilized if quadropeds. NPCs would fall and have to spend time to extricate themselves from the bola. Zeds would essentially turn into crawling zeds. Obviously bolas wouldn’t work on anything strong enough to snap rope, so no worries about that.

I think it would make a great utility weapon for throwers as it would allow one to escape (or catch up to) NPCs who are hostile (or yellow).

Yay for bolas.

Maybe also have a higher tier bolas that is made using cable, thus is stronger, but is heavier rendering a shorter range? Either way, i like the idea, but it should be rather inneffective at lower levels.

Essentially, nets are your fandom, right?
DCSS has loads of those, for example.

Me gusta! Maybe even higher-higher tier barbed wire bolas that do damage and trip zombies up if possible. It’s great suggesting, but because I’m a loser with 0 (43%) computers skill, I have no idea how hard such a thing would be to code.

Well… To have an on-hit effect it needs to be either a weapon or a type of ammunition. Same like how "t"hrowing a 40mm grenade won’t set it off. So it won’t work with simple JSON editing.

What Blaze said.

Thought it looks quite simple to fix.
EDIT: It isn’t. Throw code doesn’t use regular projectiles, it is very different from shooting despite the effects being similar.

Hmmm…so, with a bola launcher this could conceivably work. Of course, it would also then level archery or another weapon skill, so that doesn’t work I suppose.

Well, what about if, like a grenade, you activated it first, then threw it? I don’t suppose this would enable on-hit effects.

In the absence of that, I think what Vulture said sounds cool. What about a net-launcher? Obviously, this wouldn’t be craftable (though perhaps the nets would be), so that’s a bummer. Still, give me the ability to net a wild animal…and tomorrow I’ll suggest the ability to drag a netted animals…the day after I will demand the ability to train the wild animals I’ve taken to my underground lair.

Nothing says badass like a guy with a small arsenal, riding a moose, flanked by armored bears. Mua ha ha.

But seriously…bolas aren’t going to happen, are they?

Shotgun bola round :wink:

Grenade explosion doesn’t trigger on hit, but rather on a transform timer, so no that wouldn’t work.
Closest thing would be a flashbang explosion but that has an AOE.

We DO have a sling, it would be a bit redundant to use a sling with a bola, but that’s the closest thing.

[quote=“mdtexeira, post:7, topic:8389”]Hmmm…so, with a bola launcher this could conceivably work. Of course, it would also then level archery or another weapon skill, so that doesn’t work I suppose.

Well, what about if, like a grenade, you activated it first, then threw it? I don’t suppose this would enable on-hit effects.

In the absence of that, I think what Vulture said sounds cool. What about a net-launcher? Obviously, this wouldn’t be craftable (though perhaps the nets would be), so that’s a bummer. Still, give me the ability to net a wild animal…and tomorrow I’ll suggest the ability to drag a netted animals…the day after I will demand the ability to train the wild animals I’ve taken to my underground lair.

Nothing says badass like a guy with a small arsenal, riding a moose, flanked by armored bears. Mua ha ha.

But seriously…bolas aren’t going to happen, are they?[/quote]newest experimental has a spring loaded artillery mortar, in which anything classed as “heavy objects” can be fired from. This includes a variety of craftable grenade like payloads, modified mininukes, rocks, and craftable lead balls. Seems like something you could absolutely load a net into.
Sudden ideas:
Wire nets, for more security and higher concern for injury
Barbed wire nets when you are in the mood for murder (every attempt at escaping should be accompanied by some rather nasty piles of cut damage)
Taser nets! Craftable using two empty tasers, 200 batteries, wire net. Autofails the first two succesful escape attempts against non shock resistant target, accompanied by shock damage.
Barbed taser nets sounds like an amazing weapon.

You mean… Boleadoras?
Edit: could not get image to work, but they are like three rocks tied with a rope. You grab from one rock and swing the other two, then throw to grab the animals legs.

[quote=“StopSignal, post:11, topic:8389”]You mean… Boleadoras?
Edit: could not get image to work, but they are like three rocks tied with a rope. You grab from one rock and swing the other two, then throw to grab the animals legs.[/quote]
bolas = boleadoras.

Webs could be amazing traps to set in order to catch regular and otherwise fragile Zs - just grab three or four stakes, fetch a high net (acquired from a gym, tennis/soccer field) and stretch it an inch above the ground. When the entangle is dire in both looks and numbers, just light the canvas you’ve saved for that Molotov and drink the 14-shot.

What about this, throwing the boleadoras would make a trap of just 1 turn where it will try to catch whatever is there, and if it fails, it would erase itself. So, using the terrain thing of the grenade? Maybe I am talking nonsense.

Points for creative thinking, but would cause disbelief as bolas don’t disappear when they miss IRL.