Reloading Overhaul

I realized that while I love this game one primary thing frustrates me, the weird system of messages you get when reloading or picking something up if there is a monster nearby or if you become hurt in the interim. I feel like the messages are obtrusive enough but for some reason they must also be clicked through many times making them even more frustrating. I thought of a better idea that could also be used for picking up objects or putting on clothes, perhaps once you start performing an activity a meter appears that starts at 0 and time passes within the game the meter fills up but the action can be interrupted at any time by the player, allowing a player to choose if they want to stop reloading when monsters approach or they hear a loud noise without stopping the flow of the game.

This is a bad idea.

Why? Because if players don’t have an in your face message about why you’re about to die and how you’re going to stop it, the player will die.

I have to agree with the basic issue, but I propose a different approach.

Since kevin made picking things up and dropping them an activity, the messages that ask for stopping the pickup are everywhere.
Now, this is fine if your emtying your shopping cart, and there’s a zombear outside.
However, there are also plenty of occasions, where you want to quickly pick something up and ignore the zombies smashing the fence.

So, the way I get it, if picking up takes only one turn, there won’t be the prompt.
We can just extend the period of time that it takes to give the prompt to 3 turns.
So when three (or two?) turns have passed and you’re still picking up, and hearing noises, the game will prompt you, not only for a shorter amount of time.

I need to check if turning off safe mode affects this, if it does there’s your solution, if not it should be simple to add, then there’s your solution.
Waiting to warn you is VERY problematic, someone could easily be killed or seriously wounded in that few turns, and avoiding that means differentiating between immediate and potential dangers, which is moving in the direction of immensely overcomplicating the system.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:4, topic:7319”]I need to check if turning off safe mode affects this, if it does there’s your solution, if not it should be simple to add, then there’s your solution.
Waiting to warn you is VERY problematic, someone could easily be killed or seriously wounded in that few turns, and avoiding that means differentiating between immediate and potential dangers, which is moving in the direction of immensely overcomplicating the system.[/quote]

It doesn’t. I tend to keep safe mode turned off and I see these messages all the time.

Yeah, if that can be turned off by turning safe mode off, it would be great.

I remember several situations in a lab, where zombies were constantly whacking something, so even when I tried picking up single items, it would interrupt me for the prompt. So everytime I tried to pick up a dark cola, I had to ingore the sound, which was annoying.
I am not sure, by what that was caused, maybe I was slowed by something, but pickups of single items shouldn’t get an interruption prompt, as the whole picking up items as an activity-thing was done for people that pick up multiple items at once, wasn’t it?

I’ve been reading such complaints to devs for quite some time - and I think I know what’s bothering all’y’alls.
First of all, you need to understand that there’s no such thing as a non-verbose RogueLike game. Every whack is a number, every step is a couple of words on the right. Playing a RL requires a different skillset, much unlike those you practice through FPS or RTG genres.
If we’ve cleared that out, maybe there is an elephant in the room after all; as far as I’m concerned, the big black box appears on top of everything every single moment when a time-consuming action takes place in hostile enviroment. This obstructs vision, hence the fluent gameplay which must get interrupted if you play a character who mixes stuff a bit…

I guess that those “Monster Dangerously Close” types could be nudged to the top/bottom of the screen, altough I’m pretty much against binding the Continue action to Any Key or similar (Space). This would solve many visibility issues, simply because monsters leap, wake up from their dormant state or they’re simply hidden behind an obstacle.
Please, let us see why we’re being interupted.

i actualy like warning when picking up things i was killed one time in old experimental when i was picking up some things