"You have been injured while SAFE!" popup?

When driving, one generally spends most of one’s time with the pause key held down, cruising across the map at whatever velocity one deems prudent (or fun, depending on one’s level of prudence). When driving, one can take damage from a number of unintuitive sources, like NPCs that decide that they really, really, really need to occupy the square you’re currently occupying, acid rain from a door you left open, etc. Perhaps a popup could display the first time you take damage with no enemies in sight, so that you don’t pause for fifteen turns while your NPC ally shouts, “Hang on, I want to pick up that Rock” and proceeds to bludgeon you to death with a 3L Glass Jar?

By the way, is this an issue because you’re holding down the key without noticing the damage, or because the keypresses are overbuffering and it will continue pausing for 15 turns after you release the key?

I’m really not sure how to do this, because this would require a prompt every time you take damage and wait, I’d suspect this would happen constantly in some situations.

Also I’m wondering if the right solution might be to implement some kind of fast travel so that the right way to drive a long distance isn’t to hold down the wait key :confused: (that would for sure get interrupted by you taking damage)

Because I’m holding down the key without noticing the damage. I haven’t ever had an issue with overbuffering.

Possible semi-solution: add “something has attempted to attack attack you” and “something has damaged you” to the list of things that pop up a dialog requiring you to turn off Safe Mode?

Actually now that I think of it, that should be reasonable, I was thinking “waiting while fighting”, not “waiting while fighting while in safe mode”. So we’d need to set a flag or something when you take damage, and prompt to exit safe mode the next turn. It’s a bit complicated, but it’s something we should do.

Many roguelikes have a ‘move until something interesting happens’ command, interesting being passing besides a door, spotting a monster, getting hurt and so fourth, surprised Cata doesn’t already.
(unless it does, in which case i am a dumb butt)

[quote=“Birdie, post:5, topic:3820”]Many roguelikes have a ‘move until something interesting happens’ command, interesting being passing besides a door, spotting a monster, getting hurt and so fourth, surprised Cata doesn’t already.
(unless it does, in which case i am a dumb butt)[/quote]
Mainly because we have a bit larger definition of “interesting”, and not being trapped in a dungeon makes the definition of “move until” a little bit more diverse (does cutting through a forest count as move until? Or would you want to follow the road? Stuff like that).

The best we could possibly do in this direction would be to follow a road or walk in a straight line.

The main thing I’d use it for would be traveling on a road, so that would probably work! ^^