Any way to turn off the "*** spotted! stop moving items?" message?

To be clear, this is NOT the message when safe mode is engaged, it pops up irrespective of the safe mode toggle, and makes dragging objects through a forest (near a fish infested pond, a moose or a bunch of dogs) a button mashing nightmare.

I’d have to say its probably the most annoying popup message I have ever encountered in a game due to its incessant persistence, and I have grown to fear it even more than the zombies that surround me.

I’d love to hear of an easy way to turn it off somehow that doesn’t involve “not dragging objects around on the ground”.

1 Like

Sorry as far as I am aware there is not a way around that, though I’m hardly the expert.

Just discovered that you can whitelist the particular creature in the safe mode manager with the ‘friendly’ tag and this seems to stop the messages.

I’ll experiment further…

Yeah, forgot about that, of course in the situation of zombies thats not really viable.

Try changing safe mode proximity distance to about 10.
That’s what I have and that message pops up a lot less.

Works if safe mode if off too.

Yeah, I found it very weird that safe mode on/off toggle did not change the frequency or remove the messages, but editing entries in the safe mode manager did. I would have thought both of these would work together more closely.

It sounds like that inventory mode is just allowing safe mode, and ignoring whatever on/off status it has.

Does whitelisting the offending enemies help? I know it normally only effects safe mode IIRC, but it’s worth a shot.

This is an issue that some of the Devs are actually aware of, but it’d require inventive coding to work around. From the word I’ve had about this and a few other outlier ease-of-life update possibilities, the change wouldn’t be as much difficult as time consuming and would pull them off of other projects. It seems that unless someone’s willing to set up a bounty for the change, and with the ever nearing 0.E release, that this one is going to be on the back burner for a while.

The issue seems to stem from the moving items function not being one single action, but a form of [batch] actions, moving one at a time. The system also warns you when doing any task, such from butchery to ripping an engine out of a car that if something threatening or threatening sounding is near, you will be prompted about it.

Thus, it’s not as much a Safe Mode issue as a task interruption. Since each individual movement is an action, there in lies the issue. So, the solution is to establish some way to override the fail safe trigger during a task with the Ignore All not just being applied to a single action (The reason it procts over and over is because you Ignore all for that one task, then a new task starts without the Ignore, and so on) but to all actions within the [batch] order. In other words, some sort of code frame or trigger to cover the action such that it’d work for all items being moved.

Granted, when you mess with [batch] commands, you have to make sure your code doesn’t end up splicing, and etc. etc.

So, like I said, not an overly nightmarish fix, just one that’d take time away from devs presently working on the 0.E release. If someone’s out there up for putting a 10-20USD bounty on it, I’d be a betting man about it being dealt with within a week or two. Otherwise? It’s a modest annoyance we shall live with.

2 Likes

The best quote-on-quote solution in the meantime is to limit your own line of sight to reduce the chances it goes off. If you see something hostile, it’s likely going to proctor on you.

Ah yes. The classic combination of wearing ear plugs and a blindfold to ignore the world around you and get some actual work done.

Thanks heaps for the informative answer.

From a non-coder perspective it seems like a small issue, so its fascinating to hear how a seemingly simple problem can become incredibly complex when digging right down into the guts of it.

In light of that, I’m happy with the aforementioned bandaid solutions for now.