Re: Wiki Vandalism

Just had to revert some vandalism to the wiki.

Some wad edited the main page to include the line ‘Someone please make this wiki not useless & outdated.’ at the top.

Might want to consider blocking further edits from the originating IP.

I’m not sure if this is the proper section for such an announcement, but I wanted to let everyone know so that hopefully something gets done about it.

There’s a Wiki thread for these sorts of things. Thanks for the revert, though.

I can think of Lazycat who might do that.

Thanks for the heads up, Rivet. I saw that just a few minutes after you reverted that edit.

As I seem to be the only guy with administrator level other than GlyphGryph himself, you might consider contacting me directly if something like this happens again. Use my talk page for requests. I check the wiki daily, certainly more than these forums (and the forums email alert for PMs, etc seem to be broken for some reason, anyway), so I should act accordingly quite rapidly.

For this particular issue, I don’t think it requires an IP blocking. I’m also not that sure it was the mentioned user. To be fair, what that user wrote, although inappropriate both in the tone and placement, seems to be a sentiment shared by quite a lot of CataDDA players (for the curious, what was written is: Someone please make this wiki not useless & outdated.).

But what some people unfortunately don’t seem to grasp is that: 1) The wiki is that, a wiki. And a quite open one for that to new contributors (you don’t even have to register). It’s made by and for players. 2) There’s no devoted “official wiki contributor”, be it a person or a team, whose job is to keep all the pages up to date. The contributions are absolutely voluntary and proactive.

So far it seems to have worked out quite well. Most, if not all, the content inherited from the original Cataclysm wiki has been properly expanded and updated, a lot of new sections created, and an almost total restructuring of the most important sections has been going on lately (thanks to the awesome work with the bots by BMacZero and Teranos). And all this has been only possible by random players driven by pure enthusiasm and a will to contribute to this awesome game while helping others.

The content of the wiki could be better? Certainly. And it becomes better with each new contribution, which happens almost daily. It could be better organized? Probably. Although I personally like the “anarchic order” achieved so far. But if someone is willing to form a team of organized contributors to ensure the wiki is absolutely up to date then feel free to do so.

Finally, given the current speed of the game’s development (which is extremely fast, for those unaware) the wiki will never be up to date, or not for a long time. Particularly for those who play the bleeding edge versions. If the wiki aims to anything is to get the info of at least the last stable version.

For what it is worth, I think in the last month the Wiki has become quite useful. I used to hate using it, but it has become standard for me to have it open on my second monitor now.

BMacZero and Teranos did a brilliant job, indeed.

Hey, can we get youtoo to post his guides on the wiki? They’re brilliant but they get lost on the forums…

Nothing is stopping him nor anybody else to publish them in the wiki. Creating a new page is as easy as searching there for the title of the new page you want to create, and then click on the (red) link that it will return. There’s also many other ways to do the same.

Once published, they will eventually be read-proofed proofreaded, corrected, formatted and categorized as needed.

Nothing is stopping him nor anybody else to publish them in the wiki. Creating a new page is as easy as searching there for the title of the new page you want to create, and then click on the (red) link that it will return. There’s also many other ways to do the same.

Once published, they will eventually be read-proofed, corrected, formatted and categorized as needed.[/quote]

Uh, surely proofread? Read-proofing seems like something that would make the wiki impenetrable. :wink:

But yeah, it’s not too hard to get stuff on the wiki. People seem to read those Advanced Guides and all–the tough thing is simply keeping up with the devs.

And there we have it, proof of concept that proof-reading works. B)

I’ll have to check out the wiki, I haven’t visited since it was rather barren.

See? We definitely need that.

Who knows which other errorific horrors lurk in the wiki. Horrors that you, dear reader, can vanish with just the press of some keys.

[size=5pt]Apart from that: “Oops!”,blush,“English isn’t my mother language”, “I was drunk when I wrote that”, “I’m actually dyslexic, you know!”, etc etc[/size]

Well there go all my excuses.

All of which would be terrible, terrible lies.

I’ll have to see about doing some wiki-work at some point! Hopefully not while drunk. I promise I will try to avoid that.

I’m actually dyslexic. I HAVE A VALID EXCUSE!

I'm actually dyslexic. I HAVE A VALID EXCUSE!
Even with that in sight, you [b]won't[/b] have sex with the devs? :-P

I promise I will tend to one section of the wiki, as soon as I finish my translations, my wallpapers, a shorts story, a song, some ideas that need work on, and possible inclusion of them in expansion of the lore.

I’ve been thinking of throwing up a code faq sort of thing for a bit now. Make it a bit easier for the non-coders.

Adds it to growing list of procrastination