Radiation in the city

More like a hamlet, a few houses, library and a radio station. And nearby wreckage. I was camping a house torn down by brute, and noticed i was in pain. Then noticed i was mutating. Ran blood analysis, i am irradiated, ran scrubber till i wasnt. A hour later i am again irradiated.

What makes it even more weird is that i was in that hamlet before, few months before. The only thing that changed is that is newer version and that i cleared the wreckage and that i am making charcoal atm. (and i also got a ton of bionics and stuff in the meantime).

What gives? What could be causing that?

Have you been near any mysterious piles of rubble lately? Have you checked your mutations?

If you mean radiogenic (or whatever causes radiation) no, i did not have any in fact. By mysterious pile of rubble, do you mean portal thing? No, not lately, besides, i scrubbed radiation, went to the basement of the house i was sitting in absorbing radiation, and i was safe there. Went three map tiles to the west to the wreckage, also safe here.

Mysterious, mysterious house.

Is there a way i can check background radiation? Geiger counter? I did not take one with myself, of course…

Have any damaged atomic items near your like a scratched atomic night light?

Only undamaged atomic nightlight. But i carry it everywhere, so it wouldnt explain that particular room. But perhaps there was something in the room before the brutes collapsed it?

Get a shovel and find out. (Save and use debug if you need to.)

Get a shovel and find out. (Save and use debug if you need to.)[/quote]
Already did clear that thing. Thats how i found out, i sat down there and was making stuff waiting for the charcoal kilns to finish.

There was nothing there that raised my suspicion. I am already away (i stopped there on my way to a lab), i will check again when returning.

Hopefully i will find geiger counter in the lab.

So, went there back with geiger counter. Its one room in the house that has ground radiation in the range 20-40. The collapsed room, to be precise. Nothing suspicious in it, bunch of clothes, hacksaw and a bit of scrap metal, funnel, frying pan, usual stuff.

No idea what might have caused this. I did not killed any zombies there either (the clothes were all new, so must have been from a dresser or something)

Hm. Maybe irradiated wanderer got killed in that room? Does irradiated wanderer radiate the ground? And wear clothes?

Come to think of it, do clothes get destroyed when zombies get killed by falling roof?

[quote=“Maur, post:8, topic:8330”]So, went there back with geiger counter. Its one room in the house that has ground radiation in the range 20-40. The collapsed room, to be precise. Nothing suspicious in it, bunch of clothes, hacksaw and a bit of scrap metal, funnel, frying pan, usual stuff.

No idea what might have caused this. I did not killed any zombies there either (the clothes were all new, so must have been from a dresser or something)[/quote]
Ah! If you ever find any rectangles of destroyed terrain like piles of rocks in the road or collapsed rooms in a house, that spot is irradiated. Don’t go near it.

Wanderers don’t drop clothes, and yeah, minicraters are generally hot.

[quote=“TheFlame52, post:9, topic:8330”][quote=“Maur, post:8, topic:8330”]So, went there back with geiger counter. Its one room in the house that has ground radiation in the range 20-40. The collapsed room, to be precise. Nothing suspicious in it, bunch of clothes, hacksaw and a bit of scrap metal, funnel, frying pan, usual stuff.

No idea what might have caused this. I did not killed any zombies there either (the clothes were all new, so must have been from a dresser or something)[/quote]
Ah! If you ever find any rectangles of destroyed terrain like piles of rocks in the road or collapsed rooms in a house, that spot is irradiated. Don’t go near it.[/quote]
Oh, so perpahs that was not a brute that destroyed the house, but it was already destroyed? On the way home there is a small crater on the road, i will check it with geiger, too.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to scrub ground radiation away?

[quote=“Maur, post:11, topic:8330”][quote=“TheFlame52, post:9, topic:8330”][quote=“Maur, post:8, topic:8330”]So, went there back with geiger counter. Its one room in the house that has ground radiation in the range 20-40. The collapsed room, to be precise. Nothing suspicious in it, bunch of clothes, hacksaw and a bit of scrap metal, funnel, frying pan, usual stuff.

Ah! If you ever find any rectangles of destroyed terrain like piles of rocks in the road or collapsed rooms in a house, that spot is irradiated. Don’t go near it.[/quote]
Oh, so perpahs that was not a brute that destroyed the house, but it was already destroyed? On the way home there is a small crater on the road, i will check it with geiger, too.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to scrub ground radiation away?[/quote]

Once it’s radiated, it stays that way. Hence why I don’t recommend using mininukes any place you may have to revisit.

[quote=“TheFlame52, post:9, topic:8330”][quote=“Maur, post:8, topic:8330”]So, went there back with geiger counter. Its one room in the house that has ground radiation in the range 20-40. The collapsed room, to be precise. Nothing suspicious in it, bunch of clothes, hacksaw and a bit of scrap metal, funnel, frying pan, usual stuff.

Wait, those rectangles of destroyed road are irradiated? Oh shit, I spend a lot of time frolicking around in those trying to figure out what caused it.

My current hideout has a bombed out bit on one side, but I swear the entire area seems to be irradiated since I’m constantly getting irradiated and have about four random mutations by now. I never go near the rubble. I should find myself a Geiger counter, I’ve only got a biomoniter at the moment.

I’m pretty sure biomonitors are better. They have the same capabilities (I think) and can be worn, keeping precious inventory space free. They do have lower battery storage, though.

They can’t scan the ground or work in continuous mode. They’re fine for finding out what is killing you, but not for scanning for pockets of radiation.

Craters have very weak radiation. Only about 25% of irradiated crater tiles have enough radiation to affect you. You could sleep in the remaining 75% and wouldn’t feel a thing.
If you don’t feel any pain, aren’t vomiting, aren’t randomly getting damaged or mutated and your strength isn’t lower than it should, you aren’t irradiated.
I know because I take Radiogenic on most of my characters. Amazing ability, pretty much regeneration on atomic 'roids.

How does continious mode work? I couldnt figure it out.

If you have a geiger with continuous mode and enter an irradiated area, it will start making noises. It will make noises even if the radiation is too weak to affect you.

After running a Geiger counter over the place, it’s not just the specific tiles with destroyed stuff on them, but also quite a few tiles around them which look perfectly healthy. Notably, where I park my car. Just standing on an irradiated tile for a couple of turns is enough to get quite a bit of radiation heh. At least without protection.

There are also rad badges, apply it and wear it (it has no coverage, so actually 0 enc), it will change color and notify you if you absorb significant amounts of radiation. The first color change happens before it has any chance of causing problems IIRC, but it’s a nice passive indicator that you’re in a radioactive area.