Anyone Know Why I'm Dying? :S

I’m using version 0.B Playing my longest lived character so far. He keeps throwing up heavily and losing HP extremely fast but I have no idea what the cause is. it doesn’t say I’m nauseous, wounded, poisoned or anything. I haven’t done anything lately that I can think of that would make him die except for install some power storage cbm’s. Which were successful. I was really hoping to build my first vehicle with this guy.

Is the vomit strange colors?

Sounds like radiation. Nom iodine tablets if you have them, and protect your vitals (bandage/first aid kit your head and torso).

I just says “You throw up heavily!” Strange colors would be an awesome way to die!

Alright thanks. I do have Iodine Tablets. But wouldn’t my radiation badge let me know if I’m in bad condition to radiation? Idk how that works.

It shows background radiation but not item radiation.
If you carry any broken item, check it for “it glows with strange glow” or something like this. If you have it, it’s radiation and you need to drop this stuff right now.
Even after you drop it, you have a high chance to die, so start bandaging your head and torso as soon as you drop the item and use iodine.

It’s not radiation if your stats aren’t lower than they should.

It shows background radiation but not item radiation.
If you carry any broken item, check it for “it glows with strange glow” or something like this. If you have it, it’s radiation and you need to drop this stuff right now.
Even after you drop it, you have a high chance to die, so start bandaging your head and torso as soon as you drop the item and use iodine.

It’s not radiation if your stats aren’t lower than they should.[/quote]

Ooooohh yeahh the stats are extremely low right now! :S Okay so it’s definitely radiation then.

Omg my character is saved thanks to you guys! I’m recovering now from the radiation and managed to gain the mutation “Strong” First time dealing with this kind of stuff. Now I know what to look for when suspecting radiation.

You’re lucky as shit for getting the Strong trait. You could have ended up with a beak, or worse, leg tentacles.

Also, what was the radioactive source?

An artifact? plutonium cells? Did you pass by a waste sarcophagus?

my money is on radiated patches on the road…most don’t realize what they are until something like this happens

[quote=“Snaaty, post:10, topic:8358”]Also, what was the radioactive source?

An artifact? plutonium cells? Did you pass by a waste sarcophagus?[/quote]

It must have been the Plutonium cells. :stuck_out_tongue: Thankfully I dropped them in my locker quickly after I got them without realizing it was causing radiation damage to me.

Are the plutonium cells something I should be worried about if they are not damaged in any way? As I understand it, no.
Once I get this art trade done, I should really get to work on adding to the wiki. Hoboy that’s gonna be daunting.

Plutonium cells are perfectly safe unless they’re damaged.

Most nuclear items in DDA will slowly irradiate their surroundings if damaged (this can be stopped by repairing them) with a few exceptions like the RM13 powered armor: there’s lots of powerful safeguards on the reactor assembly there because you don’t want a user who gets shot or stabbed to bring about Chernobyl Part II: Atomic Boogaloo.

Not exactly slowly and not exactly surroundings. A single broken cell will start causing damage even to a radiogenic survivor within several minutes. Iodine will slow it down, but even iodine+radiogenic won’t stop damage from a single broken cell.
Also, the environment isn’t affected, only the carrier.

<— radiogenic scummer hugging a broken cell to make the hurt go away

Now that I think about it, I should mod a talking doll with atomic battery, bash it against the wall and hug that instead.

I had such thought once a time. I had “broken plutonium cell” (FUCKING SPITTERS) and I wondered whether it would irradiate me. Turned out to be true.

[quote=“Rivet, post:14, topic:8358”]Plutonium cells are perfectly safe unless they’re damaged.

Most nuclear items in DDA will slowly irradiate their surroundings if damaged (this can be stopped by repairing them) with a few exceptions like the RM13 powered armor: there’s lots of powerful safeguards on the reactor assembly there because you don’t want a user who gets shot or stabbed to bring about Chernobyl Part II: Atomic Boogaloo.[/quote]

I- I did not know this.

…This explains… …a lot…

Shouldn’t this kind of thing be mentioned via a flag or something? “HAY IF YOU DAMAGE THIS ITEM IT’S GONNA START HEMORRHAGING RADIATION”

It gets this line, but only when it gets damaged.

I think the surprise of “this broken thing that relies on a radioactive fuel source or just is radioactive itself is now killing me, because it’s broken.” Is actually a fun surprise in DDA.
Sure it sucks to occasionally lose chars to accidentally bashing someones head in with a plutonium cell and damaging it, but it’s part of the fun and was absolutely 100% totally preventable. It’s not like there aren’t enough warning signs and hints that radiation is slowly killing you.

Although I feel as if there should be some kind of warning message, not too descriptive, not too vague, just enough to help give new players a hint that their broken atomic coffee machine is more effective at killing them than keeping them alive

Edit: By hint I don’t mean getting a warning when you examine it, I mean a very vague hint that you’re dying of radiation when you start to get close to the more lethal levels in the action log thing whatever-its-called

Damn, you are LUCKY. What’s your strength now?

Also, if you drink mutagen now, you are more likely to get more strength buffs.