Puppies and Kittens!

So I was thinking: What horrible dwarven atrocity could I preform in this game of dorfs?

Burning puppies and kittens in magma.

Then I though of C:DDA.

I thought of how we have tameable cats and dogs.

Then I though why can’t tame animals in C:DDA breed?

So now we are here, I want breed able animals. Animals would generate gender upon taming (since you can’t examine the animal closely while it eats your face).

Usefulness:
Obviously for the meat farming potential of course! Dogs and cats would be a good source of lean, dubious meat. Also they would be tame upon birthing! Breed dog armies! Swarm amigara horrors with fluffy adorable kittens!

How:
We would do a proximity thing, if an animal of a different gender gets within 5 tiles of an animal of different gender they would impregnate the female. After a season the female would produce a litter, and after another season they would go to full size. Then another 3 for full reproductive function. Litters would be 4 babies flat.

Unbalanced ness:
?Free? Source of meat: Not viable with the 2 season (28 day) wait time. This would take a game-crashing amount of animals. Puppies and kittens don’t produce meat.

Unethical/PETA: And you can kill zombified children but you cannot kill an annoying, loud, mean ass cat? Or a large, dumb, semi-loyal cow? Be a man! It’s you or them!

Too much work/Poor implementation ideas:
I agree the animal proximity thing isn’t great, but it is simple enough for new players to understand. This also helps with the de-population of dogs after gathering 3-7 of them for an army. This way you can get a reasonable amount to be useful without it being OP. This shouldn’t be too much work for what I’ve suggested.

TL;DR

1 Like

Implementation-wise, it might be better to have a “put in barn/coop/stall/field” action that implies the start of animal husbandry type things. Then you interact with the affected terrain piece to do actions like gather eggs/milk, or feed the animals.
Slaughter and butchering would probably just be manual, no need to add a seperate system for that.
Oh yea, and having sufficient animals kept together would do a breeding check or something periodically.

Cataclysm: Harvest Moon? I’m totally ok with this. I still need to get a proper farm going though…

I wouldn’t mind a henhouse/barn for animals. A nice little UI, use the tent code for building, lead animals into it like a trap.

I just want some animal husbandry so I can get more dogs for my slime-farming army.

1 Like

That would be absolutely wonderful. I’ve longed for proper farming ever since I started playing this game. It would make a much better case for a stable base over a mobile one, too. I imagine growing crops and breeding animals would be difficult on any vehicle, no matter the size.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:1, topic:4909”]Unethical/PETA: And you can kill zombified children but you cannot kill an annoying, loud, mean ass cat? Or a large, dumb, semi-loyal cow? Be a man! It’s you or them![/quote]pretty sure PETA doesn’t give a shit about killing human children, all they care about is their precious goddamn spotted owl.

If god didn’t want us to eat animals he shouldn’t have made them so goddamn delicious.

^ This to everyone who doesn’t like to eat meat.

1 Like

[quote=“gtaguy, post:1, topic:4909”]Usefulness:
Obviously for the meat farming potential of course! Dogs and cats would be a good source of lean, dubious meat.[/quote]

1 Like

I nearly posted the ZippoCat gif.

Then I thought about me getting banned.

Then I realized I don’t give much of a shit, but here is a spoiler incase you are out of eye bleach:

2 Likes