PSA: Nested Containers is now live in experimental

Oh I just remembered; I have a shotgun waist bandolier and picking up shot shells automatically insert them there which is… good but it doesn’t tell you that it does. The Shot shells appear in your inventory as normal and when you look at them you have no way of knowing what container they’re in. Only when I examined all my containers one by one it tells you what items they’re holding and only then I noticed that they were in the bandolier already. And I miss the amount info that was available in the inventory screen itself like: bandolier (13/25).

And the list of contained items in the info box for a container is wierdly spaced out. My backpack looks like this then:
lighter

molotov

military ID card

military ID card

military ID card

science ID card (2)

See how some stack and skme don’t?

1 Like

just so y’all are aware, this is the one thing i have been working on for the past week. all other bugs have been deferred (at least that i can work on) until i can get this merged. https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/40399

8 Likes

Those are some key issues. Thank you KorGgenT!

Beautiful.

Thanks for your continued work on this. CDDA just gets better and better :slight_smile:

Did I read that right that guns now have “pockets” that only allow certain mags to be inserted and mags have “pockets” that only allow a certain typ of bullet?
That’s funny :smiley:

1 Like

about to start a game with the latest exp release

wish me good luck… I already have headache :frowning:

2 Likes

It seems funny to phrase it that way, but it creates a modular system that can be reproduced in amazing ways.

1 Like

well that’s the least to ask for a gun system to work in a realistic way

there actually are tons of guns that accept only their compatible magazine

but there are many types of ammo that are compatible with many types of guns if I recall

So yea, the pocket system is easily adaptable to the gun system

I’ve been playing this game on and off for many years. This recent playthrough I’ve noticed how immersive it’s become. Serious respect to all the contributors.

Enjoying testing the nested containers.

Couple of thoughts:

I modded a rucksack with several pockets. The 1st a general pocket and the 2nd a belt clip holster type. It currently attaches the item to the first pocket as it fulfils the requirements to fit in it.

Proposal - If you attach an item (e.g with belt_clip flag) to a container that has several pockets, one of which has flag restriction belt_clip, it tries to fill that pocket first.

Is this useful? For me it’s more down to visual immersion and a little item management. I’m imagining a rucksack with your general gear in the main bag and e.g an ice pick hanging by the side.

I have a few modded armor/clothes to accept some goto tools. This had the ‘benefit’ of hiding these tools from the inventory list.
It de-cluttered my standard tools away from the hording/scavenging items I collected. I’m not sure if this was the intended purpose but it was a nice outcome/feature.

Would a similar feature be beneficial? A way to hide certain items from standard inventory view.

Take all with a pinch of salt. Mere musings

1 Like

Why not a simple toggle on containers to enable/disable its content being shown in your inventory list?
I’d like that as well.

1 Like

Initially that was my thought, however, I think there a few things to consider.
When you pick something up it conceptually goes straight into an available container.
If you have a on/off toggle how do you distinguish between what you want to see and what you don’t?

Which led me to thinking using something similar to toggling an item as favourite. That item would remain hidden if it’s selected.

Or if you toggle a pocket/container ‘closed’ then the items in that pocket are hidden from standard views.

Downside is that would inevitably lead to greater micro management with dealing with what item goes in what pocket.

there is a thing that grind my gears

in the inventory, in the food section you see the liquids that you carry

and in the containers section you see the bottles with the associated liquid in brackets

basically for a single item like a water bottle you see the single item two times in the inventory, which is pretty confusing

and another thing, I still don’t get how to choose in which container i can insert a single item

like, i wanna put my phone in the backpack, but the game put it in a pocket of my trenchcoat

1 Like

tried reloading a wooden needle

wooden needle 0/200 and thread disappeared

yay…

Should’ve checked github first, the bug is still there. But in recent video Korg said he’s working on itunderlying reasons.

Just put the relevant qualities on a gun and make its magazine accept thread as ammo :^)

Oh and you need to drop items on the ground then shoot at them in order to have them get repaired.
Maybe I should have posted in this thread instead.

2 Likes

As far as I know, you can’t choose where you want to put it while picking the item up, but you can rearrange stuff after you’ve got it.
Open your [i]nventory, select (as in: view description of) the container where you want to put your item, press [i]nsert and choose the item(s) you want to move to this container like in the multidrop menu.

I don’t have an [i]nsert option nor pressing ‘i’ works at the moment

maybe in a future update?

@Segertas the word “simple” is really downplaying the complexiy of the inventory code required to do that. but it’s on the todo list as a follow-up to bugfixing.

@Dany_Raven I added that functionaliy in the original PR, so maybe th eitem you’re trying to inset doesn’t have pockets, or you’re looking at the wrong menu.

3 Likes

OOOOOH it’s my fault, I was watching the item to insert, not the container…

ok, now it seems pretty reasonable, i can move items directly in a specific container, like a backpack, in order to have less encumbrance and weight if I need to drop the item in a pinch

thank you… now, please… fix the thread reloaded in needles T__T

11 posts were split to a new topic: Schrödinger’s inventory