That Bag Mod Thing

You know what I’m talking about. Where the backpacks and bags in general have inventories.

Does anyone happen to have a link to it laying around? I’ve been digging through the Lab for ages but I can’t seem to find it anywhere, if it’s even got a thread.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=8234.0

Holy crap, I had no idea this mod was a thing. Can I just say, as a long time lurker and enthusiast of this game, that this or something like it in the main branch of the game would do wonders for my immersion. Like… for all we yammer on about the intimate physics of the vehicle system, need to eat enough calcium, how we should reload individual magazines and track bullet manufacturers and other nitpicky ‘muh realizms’ bullshit… why do we not have bags that store things like real bags in the main game, and instead have a variably-sized hammerspace depending on the number of containers stapled to our body? Serious question. Wish I knew enough about programming to be able to contribute a container overhaul like this to the github for the current experimental. If we have time to argue over vitamin content in our food, we have time to code for bags and pockets having separate inventory volumes.

If I could store stuff in a backpack, then drop the backpack when a horde appears, without all that stuff miraculously falling out of my pockets in the process? That’d be nice. Or be able to find a handbag on a zombie corpse and it actually have stuff generated inside, like cash cards and a lighter… stuff like that.

Edit: Nevermind, read the old thread and while I don’t agree with Kevin’s reasoning, it doesn’t seem like anyone will be able to persuade him without a complete overhaul of the inventory UI. That’s kinda a shame.

I’ve made the case several times on the boards that having it be OPTIONAL would be the best of both worlds, even with a somewhat “klunky” interface.

That is, if you have a bag of some kind with 40 storage, it gives you 40 magical hammerspace units, just like it does now.

But, if you specify, say, a water bottle is in that bag, that water bottle no longer resides in your magical hammerspace, just like sheathing a knife or holstering a gun, and the bag’s storage is reduced by the volume of the bottle.

So, if I want to put some things into the bag, then drop the bag, it works, and if I don’t, we get the system we have now… and if I add SOMETHING things to the bag, we get the best of both.

It breaks nothing, only adds, and it allows us time with a working system to find the best interface for that system.

But so far, that argument has not been persuasive.

[quote=“Lord Sunder, post:3, topic:13341”]Holy crap, I had no idea this mod was a thing. Can I just say, as a long time lurker and enthusiast of this game, that this or something like it in the main branch of the game would do wonders for my immersion. Like… for all we yammer on about the intimate physics of the vehicle system, need to eat enough calcium, how we should reload individual magazines and track bullet manufacturers and other nitpicky ‘muh realizms’ bullshit… why do we not have bags that store things like real bags in the main game, and instead have a variably-sized hammerspace depending on the number of containers stapled to our body? Serious question. Wish I knew enough about programming to be able to contribute a container overhaul like this to the github for the current experimental. If we have time to argue over vitamin content in our food, we have time to code for bags and pockets having separate inventory volumes.

If I could store stuff in a backpack, then drop the backpack when a horde appears, without all that stuff miraculously falling out of my pockets in the process? That’d be nice. Or be able to find a handbag on a zombie corpse and it actually have stuff generated inside, like cash cards and a lighter… stuff like that.

Edit: Nevermind, read the old thread and while I don’t agree with Kevin’s reasoning, it doesn’t seem like anyone will be able to persuade him without a complete overhaul of the inventory UI. That’s kinda a shame.[/quote]
For what it’s worth, many of the updates you mentioned have caught a lot of flak from the community. I personally am not a fan of nutrients, the most recent vehicle updates have been half-finished and don’t work at all in places like massive ATVs getting stopped by shrubs at 40 mph, and the magazine update was kind of lukewarm since it adds another check to making reliable use of firearms which are already mediocre compared to melee combat, and makes using some of the rarer firearms basically impossible.

[quote=“Zanos, post:5, topic:13341”][quote=“Lord Sunder, post:3, topic:13341”]Holy crap, I had no idea this mod was a thing. Can I just say, as a long time lurker and enthusiast of this game, that this or something like it in the main branch of the game would do wonders for my immersion. Like… for all we yammer on about the intimate physics of the vehicle system, need to eat enough calcium, how we should reload individual magazines and track bullet manufacturers and other nitpicky ‘muh realizms’ bullshit… why do we not have bags that store things like real bags in the main game, and instead have a variably-sized hammerspace depending on the number of containers stapled to our body? Serious question. Wish I knew enough about programming to be able to contribute a container overhaul like this to the github for the current experimental. If we have time to argue over vitamin content in our food, we have time to code for bags and pockets having separate inventory volumes.

Edit: Nevermind, read the old thread and while I don’t agree with Kevin’s reasoning, it doesn’t seem like anyone will be able to persuade him without a complete overhaul of the inventory UI. That’s kinda a shame.[/quote]
For what it’s worth, many of the updates you mentioned have caught a lot of flak from the community. I personally am not a fan of nutrients, the most recent vehicle updates have been half-finished and don’t work at all in places like massive ATVs getting stopped by shrubs at 40 mph, and the magazine update was kind of lukewarm since it adds another check to making reliable use of firearms which are already mediocre compared to melee combat, and makes using some of the rarer firearms basically impossible.[/quote]

The magazine system was a problem when it was new, but it’s been worked out almost completely now - guns almost always come with a magazine now, making finding more magazines purely a bonus. The occasional gun that drops with one is like the occasional gun that drops in … condition - salvageable if you really want to, but not usually worth the effort.

The vehicle overhaul has been rolled back.

I do agree with you on the nutrient system, though - BIG non-fan of that.

Thanks, was looking all over for this thing. Been really wanting to try it out. Also liking the looks of these other tweaks.

Oh… This. I will have to remember to turn cata tweaks on. Also… Now I folllow

I really like deoxy’s idea, how hard would it be to implement / mod in?

[quote=“deoxy, post:6, topic:13341”][quote=“Zanos, post:5, topic:13341”][quote=“Lord Sunder, post:3, topic:13341”]Holy crap, I had no idea this mod was a thing. Can I just say, as a long time lurker and enthusiast of this game, that this or something like it in the main branch of the game would do wonders for my immersion. Like… for all we yammer on about the intimate physics of the vehicle system, need to eat enough calcium, how we should reload individual magazines and track bullet manufacturers and other nitpicky ‘muh realizms’ bullshit… why do we not have bags that store things like real bags in the main game, and instead have a variably-sized hammerspace depending on the number of containers stapled to our body? Serious question. Wish I knew enough about programming to be able to contribute a container overhaul like this to the github for the current experimental. If we have time to argue over vitamin content in our food, we have time to code for bags and pockets having separate inventory volumes.

For what it’s worth, many of the updates you mentioned have caught a lot of flak from the community. I personally am not a fan of nutrients, the most recent vehicle updates have been half-finished and don’t work at all in places like massive ATVs getting stopped by shrubs at 40 mph, and the magazine update was kind of lukewarm since it adds another check to making reliable use of firearms which are already mediocre compared to melee combat, and makes using some of the rarer firearms basically impossible.[/quote]
The magazine system was a problem when it was new, but it’s been worked out almost completely now - guns almost always come with a magazine now, making finding more magazines purely a bonus. The occasional gun that drops with one is like the occasional gun that drops in … condition - salvageable if you really want to, but not usually worth the effort.[/quote]
Reloading without a spare magazine in combat takes far too long to be viable, meaning that any firearm you want to make use of you have to find at least a couple of magazines before you can make reliable use of it. And some guns/mags are quite rare. You were just considered to have magazines as long as you had ammo before magazines were added, so it’s a direct nerf to a combat style that already doesn’t have much going for it. It’s also kind of goofy that you can’t craft most magazines considering the stuff that you can put together.

I’m aware that the vehicle overhaul was rolled back. And thank god for that. But Sunder was talking about all the “realism” stuff that was added while a realistic backpack inventory was not, and I was just pointing out that a lot of the similar “realism” changes were not well received. And I wouldn’t be a big fan if “realistic” backpack inventories were added either. Inventory management is something I already spent a lot of time doing, and making it more nuanced would just mean I would spend even more making sure I can jam stuff in my pockets.

That was my experience before magazines were added, as well - reloading took too long to be viable in combat before magazines*, and after, if you can find extra mags, it becomes viable. That seems like a win to me.

• Perhaps it only took half as long before magazines as it does now, or whatever, but “WAY too long to be viable” isn’t really any less viable than “too long to be viable” when it comes to combat.

I do COMPLETELY agree on the magazine crafting part - they are basically folded sheet metal and a spring.

Yes and no on clips. They have to be almost factory specs to prevent jamming/ falling out of the gun. Simple to make, but I can see it being difficult with rudimentary tools to get an actually functioning clip.

Compared to what else with do in this game? CBMs?!?

Well, guns have to hold an explosion inside of them, a reliable number of times. If any part of the whole thing is kinda wrong it can fall apart pretty easily. Sadly, I’m not sure about the crafting magazines. Though, I guess, if you have a high enough skill, anything is possible, isn’t it?

This is why we can’t craft modern-day guns (the holding of the explosion), but the magazine isn’t involved in that - it just supplies the round.

Making a magazine should be far easier than crafting a CBM, or even most electronic parts - the precision required is lower than either of those.

homemade quality firearms would not be too difficult to make.
in fact all you would need are some power tools like an angle grinder,a forge to harden parts and make flatsprings and a drill.
or go full afghan/early 20th century spanish gunsmith and work with files,rudimentary heat treatment and manual drills.
it would not be as durable as a modern gun with modern metal treatments but it would work okay for handloaded ammo or low power loads.
comparing that to making anything related to electronics beyond a shitty flashlight or such is a far stretch.
guns are simple devices,making a chainsaw would be far complex that even a selective fire locked breech rifle.
the hard part of magazines are the springs,once you have proper ones you can go ahead and make lower quality but still serviceable magazines,you just need to watch for angled surfaces,ensure proper finish on the feeding lips and hardening them to prevent wear.
but complex electronics?i dont know how you could make anything beyond a flashlight or heat emitting device.