Positive Z-level Discussion

[quote=“detahramet, post:20, topic:6553”]I shat myself, literally shat myself, when I discovered the dig up and down option in the build menu. Then I came here.

I need to go change my pants.[/quote]

Dig up/down has been in for a while. Change your pants first next time. :wink:

[quote=“KA101, post:21, topic:6553”][quote=“detahramet, post:20, topic:6553”]I shat myself, literally shat myself, when I discovered the dig up and down option in the build menu. Then I came here.

I need to go change my pants.[/quote]

Dig up/down has been in for a while. Change your pants first next time. ;-)[/quote]

In my defense, i stopped play for like
half a year.

How’s the progress?

Frostwood and acidia’s work has been shipped in a ‘experimental Z-levels’ mod.

0_0

Frostwood and acidia’s work has been shipped in a ‘experimental Z-levels’ mod.[/quote]

Ease up, Zireael. We haven’t merged it yet. Poor Ninja’s looking all wide-eyed there for no good reason.

DAMMIT ZIREAEL

Frostwood and acidia’s work has been shipped in a ‘experimental Z-levels’ mod.[/quote]

Ease up, Zireael. We haven’t merged it yet. Poor Ninja’s looking all wide-eyed there for no good reason.[/quote]

Annnnd it just failed merge review: breaks old worlds, possibly new ones as well. Milbunkers are uniformly pushed up a notch, so their basement (the level with the goodies) is on z=0. Even if you’re not using the mod in that world.

Sorry, Frostwood.

[me=StopSignal]cries[/me]

It could be fixed later?

[quote=“StopSignal, post:29, topic:6553”][me=StopSignal]cries[/me]

It could be fixed later?[/quote]

I imagine so, yeah. But it’s not mergeable in its present form.

It should be fixed now, mil bunkers are the only omap ter that work the way they do. Needs to be pushed to a bunker/bunker_under like the rest.

Not seeing any changes in the Git. Sorry.

Well the office tower in json format doesn’t actually have any items in it yet… I kinda just posted it so people could experiment with z-levels. I’ll try and get around to porting everything over this weekend. Don’t worry too much about the bunker issue, more than likely it is just a single line of code that needs to be modified. It may be easier to cut all the existing bunker code and json-ize it in the near future. At some point (after npcs), I need to get computer commands jsonized for the vault so it really wouldn’t be that hard to update it then… it really is just 2 world map tiles.

Ease up, Zireael. We haven’t merged it yet. Poor Ninja’s looking all wide-eyed there for no good reason.[/quote]

Annnnd it just failed merge review: breaks old worlds, possibly new ones as well. Milbunkers are uniformly pushed up a notch, so their basement (the level with the goodies) is on z=0. Even if you’re not using the mod in that world.

Sorry, Frostwood.[/quote]
It’s cool, never thought to check the bunkers and labs(just on instinct I looked at the labs, and sure enough they had the same problem.). I fixed the issue before seeing vache’s pull request. Motels are fixed by adding a second two-story version(some sort of mod manager weirdness).

Labs have the same problem, but I fixed that one.

There were a few issues in the raw json format that I fixed-the walls weren’t defined and the staircase to the roof was the wrong way, so you could get to the roof but couldn’t go down. I see about adding items, even though this is my ‘heavy’ week at work…

But it is being officially worked on, yes? Or are we at a “seems nearly impossible so we’re doing other stuff first” scenario.

I’m not trying to be confrontational, I’m asking from a kickstarter perspective, and because I’m not sure how to follow day-to-day updates, so if people like Kevin and KA101 are working on it, I wouldn’t have heard.

[quote=“conductorbosh, post:35, topic:6553”]But it is being officially worked on, yes? Or are we at a “seems nearly impossible so we’re doing other stuff first” scenario.

I’m not trying to be confrontational, I’m asking from a kickstarter perspective, and because I’m not sure how to follow day-to-day updates, so if people like Kevin and KA101 are working on it, I wouldn’t have heard.[/quote]

Galen disappeared after finishing the time on his contract, but completed neither the objectives nor the money. We’ve roughly $1500 (I’m estimating) left over, and most of it is posted as BountySource bounties for various z-level objectives.

Neither Kevin nor myself are eligible for the bounties because we handle testing and merging: we’re the final say on whether someone is eligible to collect, so we ourselves cannot collect.

So far we’ve had three contenders. CIB has tried, and written some infrastructure that’ll probably be quite helpful, but is currently at a standstill; codehero expressed interest but I’ve not heard of any progress, and Frostwood here has put forth something that looks purty, but doesn’t actually accomplish what we’re asking in the bounties. :-/

Checking on the GitHub repo is the best way to stay updated. Subscribe if you want notice whenever anything happens. (You’ll never worry about having “no new messages” again!)

I’m sorry we don’t have better news for you. :frowning:

[quote=“KA101, post:36, topic:6553”]

(You’ll never worry about having “no new messages” again!)[/quote]

So true.

What frostwood (and vache and acadia and KA101 indirectly) is working on is simply making it possible for buildings to have upper floors. If you look out a window of such an upper floor you just see ‘sky’ instead of the ground, and monsters on other z levels are still inactive, etc. I’d guess this will be sorted out and working sometime this week.
Due to the partial state of the support, I’ve asked him to put the content in a mod that’s marked experimental so it’s clear what to expect from it. The theory is that having the ‘unfinished’ implementation present will encourage work on the more complete implementation. IMO this is working backwards, but it doesn’t prevent progress on infrastructure stuff, and with it in a mod it doesn’t present a broken implementation to players, so there’s no good reason not to add it.

ummm i see two buildings have z levels now but i cant seem to find the stairs to go up :frowning:

The stairs in the office building are right by the elevators, the stairs on the 2-story motel are at the end of the sets of rooms(like a real motel)

|X
|

X

X-where the stairs should be depending on rotation.