Poll: Most/Least Used Profession

I considered the PRG but then they upped its cost. So, back to Unemployed for me.

I normally go backpacker, as I have had some bad times finding backpacks and other items with volume.

Being one of those reprehensible powergamers, I usually go with hobo, although chain smoker isn’t without its charm either. I’m partial to trapper, as it nets you two skill points for the cost of one point, and the bear trap is useful, but it’s kinda overshadowed by the hobo. Frankly, I find that a lot of professions just aren’t worth the point investment for what amounts to an extremely minor bonus that will likely become irrelevant on the first house you manage to loot. I’m a fan of roleplaying with benefits, and right now the benefit of choosing a positive cost profession, especially a costly one (e.g. Otaku), is a waste of points unless you’re doing it for challenge/full-RP. Those extra points into your core attributes make a big difference, mechanically, for the length of that character’s lifetime. A strength 14+ hobo with krav maga or taekwondo will be likely better at surviving, even with a nasty cold, than someone without those +4 points, and will be downright lethal after they’ve slept off their 4-6 days worth of addiction. I don’t know about you, but something seems a little ass-backwards about the profession system.

Me too. I pick survivalist or backpacker…

I clearly choose Chain Smoker the most often. The extra point is simply a low-hanging fruit for me. I always choose to go cold turkey and to get rid of the nicotine addiction immediately, which is not too difficult.

Sometimes, but much less often, I choose to be a shower victim. Just for the fun. :slight_smile:

I tried Prostitute once but it seems to be impossible to get rid of the crack addiction. Way too difficult to me.
I tried Hobo a few times but it is very hard to me to get rid of the addiction, so I don’t use it very often.

I didn’t use other professions often enough to mention them. Most of them not even once.

Wow, I’m the only trapper so far? It makes the start really easy since the bear trap nearly kills every common zombie type. The zombies that don’t die instantly can be killed from a single one hit from a nail board. I especially like combining this profession with a point in trapping so I can reclaim my bear trap. Additionally the hat that comes with the profession is warm enough to get you through winter.

While it may seem the added volume of carrying a bear trap around at the start is a hindrance it really isn’t (especially since 0.9).

That said, I am experimenting with Bionic Patient, Hydraulic muscles is my favorite bionic and the toggle-able extra 20+ damage is nice.

Well, my most used profession is probably Otaku. Mainly for the hell of it because of the cat ears/tail. Others are in order

Sheriff.

Punk Rock Girl.

and lastly Military Recruit.

I tend to forgo bonuses in favor of “that sounds cool” although i still go for some amount of useful.

Wow it seems the shower victim is carrying the day, I’m glad I removed his entire starting items for extra fun.

[size=8pt]It appears that the professions have gone through some changes though they have not officially gone into the game yet. You can find and try out the changes in this thread. A lot has changed and a good many professions have been taken out. Worth a look.[/size]

Scoundrel for that sweet sweet picklock kit. It’s a pain in the ass to make three dozen improvised picklocks just to open two or three of those bar doors in the prison. And If you close them, you have to pick them all over again.

Oh, and cargo pants.

[quote=“Orcling, post:30, topic:3980”]Scoundrel for that sweet sweet picklock kit. It’s a pain in the ass to make three dozen improvised picklocks just to open two or three of those bar doors in the prison. And If you close them, you have to pick them all over again.

Oh, and cargo pants.[/quote]Use the makeshift crowbar.

@devil: how long does it take to get over nicotine addiction?

I’m not sure, but I just started a hobo with the addictive personality trait. Took about two full days to drop the addiction.

Hitchhiker just for the lolz

[quote=“VampyreLord, post:31, topic:3980”][quote=“Orcling, post:30, topic:3980”]Scoundrel for that sweet sweet picklock kit. It’s a pain in the ass to make three dozen improvised picklocks just to open two or three of those bar doors in the prison. And If you close them, you have to pick them all over again.

Oh, and cargo pants.[/quote]Use the makeshift crowbar.[/quote]

And be like all those filthy peasants! No way!

Gentlemen elegantly pick the doors of the houses they loot to not disturb the previous owners of the place, not everyone is a deranged looter and forces the way in.

Hobo all the way. But I am a powergamer at heart. I have tried prostitute too. But the drawbacks seem worse for no extra gain.

[quote=“VampyreLord, post:31, topic:3980”][quote=“Orcling, post:30, topic:3980”]Scoundrel for that sweet sweet picklock kit. It’s a pain in the ass to make three dozen improvised picklocks just to open two or three of those bar doors in the prison. And If you close them, you have to pick them all over again.

Oh, and cargo pants.[/quote]Use the makeshift crowbar.[/quote]

You can’t crowbar prison bar-doors.

Lab technician, but only for flavour - I play as myself in Cata and the labcoat’s a longstanding running joke with friends of mine.

Honestly if I want to pick something useful I pick Tailor so I can start off speed-grinding sewing stuff together and get it out of the way, or chain smoker. I get free cigs and a bonus point.

…Yeah you can.

…Yeah you can.[/quote]

But it’s not the same!