C: DDA Professions Revitalisation Project

[tt]Greetings fellow Cataclysmnites. I’ve finally gotten around to playing this game again and I’m impressed with the progress being made so far. However, I feel that the vanilla profession selections are rather generic and lacking. My goal is to create professions that seem more in depth and feature greater character and personality. Since this is my first foray into creating such a thing, I would appreciate it if you could test them and provide feedback. Hopefully I will be able to create a quality selection of professions (as well as new items for each profession) that will make choosing and playing each one that much more enjoyable.

I plan to update this thread as regularly as I can with new additions as well as improved versions. Your feedback and testing will quicken this process. Thank you.[/tt]

[center][tt]Soldier of Fortune[/tt][/center]

[tt]Description:
You were one who followed a military career wherever there was promise of profit, adventure, or pleasure. Start out with good gear, three levels in both marksmanship and handguns, as well as an addiction to nicotine.[/tt]

[tt]Gear Worn:
Sunglasses
Utility Vest
T-shirt
Wristwatch
Tactical Gloves
Cargo Pants
Holster
Socks
Combat Boots[/tt]

[tt]Weapons:
M1911 Pistol
Combat Knife[/tt]

[tt]Tools:
Flashlight
Cellphone[/tt]

[tt]Miscellaneous:
Nicotine Gum[/tt]

[tt]Skill Bonuses:
Marksmanship + 3
Handguns + 3[/tt]

[tt]Addictions:
Nicotine + 10[/tt]

[tt]Profession Selection:
Cost 0 Points[/tt]

{
		"type" : "profession",
		"ident" : "sof",
		"name" : "Soldier of Fortune",
		"description" : "You were one who followed a military career wherever there was promise of profit, adventure, or pleasure. Start out with good gear, three levels in both marksmanship and handguns, as well as an addiction to nicotine.",
		"points" : 0,
		"skills" : [
			{
				"level" : 3,
				"name" : "gun"
			},
			{
				"level" : 3,
				"name" : "pistol"
			}
		],
		"items" : [
			"sunglasses",
			"vest",
			"tshirt",
			"wristwatch",
			"gloves_tactical",
			"pants_cargo",
			"holster",
			"socks",
			"boots_combat",
			"m1911",
			"knife_combat",
			"flashlight",
			"nic_gum",
			"cell_phone"
		],
        "addictions" : [
            {
            "intensity" : 10,
            "type" : "nicotine"
            }
		]
		}

Small note, but right now putting “code” tags inside of spoilers is broken and condenses the code window down into a single, unreadable line. The best thing you might want to do is move the code parts out of the description spoilers.

[tt]At first I wasn’t exactly sure what you meant but I do now so thanks for bringing it to my attention. I think it was due to me using the editor instead of something like Notepad++ to write it up. Now that I am using the experimental builds, figured it was high time I learned how to do this by hand (so to speak) and not rely on the editor. The way the editor formatted was a bit off anyway and doing it this way seems much more crisp and organized.

Side Note: I’ve taken down both the Bank Robber and Driver professions as they were not well thought out. I have also readjusted the Security Contractor’s gear, skills, and point cost while re-branding it as Soldier of Fortune.[/tt]

Just use [ tt ] tags instead folks!

If you want any help, I can lend a hand, i made most of the professions in the mainline. (I know they’re bland but they had to be balanced and had to make sense for lore reasons :P), but if its a profession mod then I can come up with quite a few pretty quick, plus i can help with the custom gear.

[tt]Haha, GlyphGryph. What can I say, I miss my Courier New font on here and this is as close as I can get to get. It suits me well enough though. ;)[/tt]

[tt]Well thank you Stone94. I could actually use all the help I can get. And yes I do eventually plan on turning this into a mod, providing the sjon files once a basic version gets completed. This is why I will provide the code for each profession as I add them until then and hopefully go back and tweak them to flesh them out even more with custom items (mostly for flavor). I’m open to ideas being discussed here or via PM.[/tt]

I meant instead of code tags in spoilers, us tt tags.

Anyway, I’ve been thinking about and, mentally, I think our primary point of view in regards to professions and their actual costs is that the opportunity cost is really the biggest component in many ways. The fact that you can only pick one means that even if they all cost noqthing there would still be interesting choices.

[quote=“GlyphGryph, post:8, topic:3776”]I meant instead of code tags in spoilers, us tt tags.

Anyway, I’ve been thinking about and, mentally, I think our primary point of view in regards to professions and their actual costs is that the opportunity cost is really the biggest component in many ways. The fact that you can only pick one means that even if they all cost noqthing there would still be interesting choices.[/quote]

Oh, that. Haha. Well I just remember there were issues a while back about fonts and abuse and whatnot so I naturally thought that is what you were talking about. Silly me.

[tt]And I agree. I would actually like to see an overhaul of the character creation process, especially the profession section. I have ideas but I can’t code. Until then we have to work with what we have and as it stands, I am trying to find a balance between creating each profession that can stand out from each other and have them appear less generic. There is still the issue of balance as far as point costs and all that goes.[/tt]