Professions

possible new profession
-Army cost 5 points and would start with military equipment and map

-Survivalist cost 3 and would start in a small cabin and would have basic gear e.g. wood axe and longbow with arrows and maybe if its added fur clothes

-Beast cost 5 and would have all the beast mutations could be benefit or could be hindering

I like the idea of this one, and start with the skill that helps make arrows? (I forgot the skill, anyone help?)

That would be Mechanics/Archery, one point each IIRC. That’s worth one character point right there, so good tools/location/clothing is coming pretty cheap.

I pay 2 points for the woodaxe alone. they’re difficult for me to come across.

The obvious one.

Alcoholic - You have a bad habit. A severe one. Go easy on the booze and you’ll be having a really hard time getting by.
+2 points? Sounds about right.

Start out with a can of beer and an empty hip flask.

[font=calibri]Ohgoodness survivalist and alcoholic both sound like great ideas. I really liked the option of a detrimental profession, but then I love excuses for my game to go horrible faster than usual.[/font]

Shoudln’t alcoholic (and heavy smokers) be traits rather than professions?

[font=calibri]You make a pretty good point, though that would mean remodeling the traits to affect starting inventory (probably? I am no coder), which is necessary unless you want to be a alkie who doesn’t have a delicious booze flask.[/font]

‘Alcoholic’ shouldn’t be a trait. You can’t get rid of a trait without mutagen. Someone who is an ‘alcoholic’ is just ‘addicted to alcohol’ same as ‘smokers’ are ‘addicted to nicotine.’ This is already pretty well simulated in the game without traits. It’s just an effect that you kinda have to deal with.

There’s already a trait for being more likely to get addicted to things (addictive personality) which is what I think the trait idea is hinting at (that alcoholics are somehow more prone to addiction than other people, which isn’t really true. Some people are more predisposed to addiction in general, which the trait adequately signifies).

Starting with an addiction is definitely something that professions would be good for.

I think it’s too bad that you can’t select multiple professions, though. What if I want an alcoholic doctor? Can’t be done!

I think it's too bad that you can't select multiple professions, though. What if I want an alcoholic doctor? Can't be done!

[font=calibri]…are you inside my head?[/font]

My take on Survivalist would be something like: Starts with a Combat Knife (instead of pocket), a bottle of water, a random MRE, and a point in Survival, and cost 2pts. It doesnt seem like a ton, but the idea is that they were doing well surviving, but are finally down to the last of their supplies…

Another idea, though I dont know how easy/hard this would be to implement, could be:
“Professional”; where they start with a rank in one of: Cooking, Tailoring, Mechanic, Electronics, Construction, and then start with 1 appropriate tool (Pot/Frying Pan, Sewing Kit, Wrench, Soldering Iron, Crowbar?) and some sort of random ‘luxury’ item (booze, sunglasses, drugs, etc). Probably a cost of 2 or 3?

Last one, more for laughs, is “Postal Worker”, who start with a messenger bag and a tazer. Probably 3pts?

Well, it just that you should be able to be a heavy smoker AND a mechanic. But then, a doctor-survivalist-mechanic doesn’t make sense.

i agree that you wouldn’t come across many doctor-survivalist-mechanics, but there would be people who pursue medicine only to give it up for something more hands on like … bush-mechanics, and i think the point consumption at character gen would reflect the time spent developing those skills. the thing that makes a good RPG for me is freedom to be able to make your character what you want. the chain-smoking investment banker who gave it all up to live alone out in the woods or the scientist who decided to brew at home and became a meth head - variety and spice, baby!

Or it could be sub-divided into more categories.

You’d have professions -

Doctor
Mechanic
Survivalist
etc.

and as a minus part, addictions or other debuffs -

Alcoholic
Smoker
Crippled (Say start with a broken limb)
etc.

You can choose only 1 profession, but as many (or limited) debuffs/addictions as you want to.
I think this would really add to character creation even more.

One could move stuff like Smoker, Alcoholic, etc, to traits, like is already done with Android.

What about just converting the current ‘profession’ system into something more like a ‘background’ system where you can sort of build a character’s starting situation?

‘Heavy Smoker’ isn’t really a ‘profession’ anyway.

Each background could provide gear, a starting area, or impose some kind of semi-temporary penalty like addiction. You pick four or five or something to build your character’s background. Some of these will be worth 0 points because they don’t change much more than give you some background (or an equal trade-off), some might give you a point because they present additional difficulties (-1), and most would cost depending on how good the gear or starting location is (+1 to +3).

One issue with giving multiple ‘professions’ or ‘backgrounds’ is that some of them come with starting locations. So you’d need to organize it in such a way that you can only choose one starting location.

For example I liked that you can start in the police station as one of the examples of professions, but what if you don’t want to start as a cop? What if maybe your concept is actually a convict or someone who was wrongly convicted(start with nothing but a prison jumpsuit and a shiv, -1 cost), and you just happen to be there with those cops (police station start, +1 cost) when the cataclysm happens (total 0 cost)? You should be able to make those kinds of decisions, and a more open-ended background system would allow you to build more interesting, unique characters.

If you’re into that kind of thing.

Obviously some people are just in it for the gear.

You can choose only 1 profession, but as many (or limited) debuffs/addictions as you want to. I think this would really add to character creation even more.
'Alcoholic' shouldn't be a trait. You can't get rid of a trait without mutagen. Someone who is an 'alcoholic' is just 'addicted to alcohol' same as 'smokers' are 'addicted to nicotine.' This is already pretty well simulated in the game without traits. It's just an effect that you kinda have to deal with.

[font=calibri]Grin already made a good point that traits don’t act the same way as addictions when it comes to kicking habits. So while you could rework code to make that a viable plan, ehhhh.

I like the idea of relabelling professions to ‘background’, and setting it up with columns so jobs (costing points, gives good stuff) are one one side, habits (giving points, gives penalties) on the right. Visually it’d look like the traits/flaws page but this background list wouldn’t actually contain any trait modifiers.[/font]

Yeah, I’m liking the suggestion to turn professions into “backgrounds”, with some stuff being mutually exclusive (no nuclear physicist-cop-doctor-hackers, say), and other things being sort of a grab bag.

[font=calibri]How hard would it be to write in exclusivity of professions?[/font]

In terms of game logic, easy.

In terms of UI, dunno, I’d have to think about it.