Paige Thomas's brain explodes!

Omg, I laughed so much it hurts…

Fact: Bears are never gonna give you up.

Ah, i remember my first brainsplosion. It was back when whales was the dev. I went into a NPC encampment, back when those were still around. Broke into the messhall, met a random woman who spawned out of nowhere, shot at me missing every time, and then her head blew up. Good times. Gooooooood times.

My guess is they do this

Go to 0:13

I’ve seen that happen a couple of times. Here’s the code that causes it:

while (!active_npc[i]->dead && active_npc[i]->moves > 0 && turns < 10) { turns++; active_npc[i]->move(this); //build_monmap(); } if (turns == 10) { add_msg(_("%s's brain explodes!"), active_npc[i]->name.c_str()); active_npc[i]->die(this); }

It always seems to happen after they shoot several times in a row. Presumably there’s some bug that causes their move cost from shooting to become so low (maybe even zero) when they shoot that they hit this limit.

Their rate of fire is so fast that the combined recoil and the waves of sound from the gunfire cause their brain to vibrate at its natural resonant frequency, thus resulting in a cerebral explosion. Or so I’m guessing. (More likely this is a duct-tape fix on NPCs being able to empty their entire magazine in one round)

I like to think that this is how so many people were wiped out and reanimated in such a short period of time. Everyone reanimates on death (in lore, not in functionality yet to my knowledge), and thus alot of people would have had to of died initially to cause this wide of a spread this fast. Thus, the goo makes people’s brains explode and bring them back to life from time to time to help increase the rate of infectivity

Oh my what. So if they shoot enough, their head will randomly explode? That is wonderful.

This is the debug function to kill an NPC. I assume the game can recognize a few cases when the NPC is breaking the game and kill it automatically to prevent a crash or things from getting screwy (I’ve seen it happen a few times, connected to some kind of special attack they were trying to use incorrectly, maybe a CBM?). If the game doesn’t do it, you can - if you have bound the debug menu, anyway.

I think there are actually a couple different messages for this too. Exploding, imploding…

[quote=“Isidarth, post:8, topic:2847”]This is the debug function to kill an NPC. I assume the game can recognize a few cases when the NPC is breaking the game and kill it automatically to prevent a crash or things from getting screwy (I’ve seen it happen a few times, connected to some kind of special attack they were trying to use incorrectly, maybe a CBM?). If the game doesn’t do it, you can - if you have bound the debug menu, anyway.

I think there are actually a couple different messages for this too. Exploding, imploding…[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve had a brain-implosion once when I had to take an NPC offline. Glad that the game has some failsafes built in.

[quote=“Isidarth, post:8, topic:2847”]This is the debug function to kill an NPC. I assume the game can recognize a few cases when the NPC is breaking the game and kill it automatically to prevent a crash or things from getting screwy (I’ve seen it happen a few times, connected to some kind of special attack they were trying to use incorrectly, maybe a CBM?). If the game doesn’t do it, you can - if you have bound the debug menu, anyway.

I think there are actually a couple different messages for this too. Exploding, imploding…[/quote]

Exploding is for when they appear to have started a limitless number of actions, as in the example at the top of the thread.

Imploding is for when you use the debug command.

No word on if they cancel each other out when used at the same time…

Its their brain that explodes, and the head that implodes. That mean that their skull is the doing further damage as their brain is forces outwards. it wouldnt cancel each other out.

The head explosion is supposed to prevent them locking up the game due to repeatedly selecting an action they can’t perform, but if they have a fast-firing weapon it can also trigger it.