Exploding NPC?

Think you guys might thought ‘brain exploding NPC’ before reading this, but it’s not that one.

Some NPC comes while I working on building Solar power generator, His approching method was hostile one. Thought I might be able to persuade him, but it fails and so I have to kill him. As my character hit the final blow, he explode on death. No, not the brain one. it was C4-Tier explosion. Explosion is filling 2/3 of the game screen And My character is dead. I dunno how i trigger his WMD but I’m sure it’s not my bullet’s, I hit him with entranching tool entirely. no fire, no explosives nearby, no highly flammable things nearby, no C4, no Mini-nuke.

It reminds me I was playing ‘roguelike’, but i wonder what cause this happen.
I’m sure i didn’t add ‘Crazy Cataclysm’ mod.

Am i just the unlucky one?

He may have been carrying glitched explosives on him, and dropping them made the game realize “Hey this should have exploded hours ago”.

Pretty terrible way to die tbh, but I primarily murder NPCs from a safe distance if they aren’t willing to follow me around.

[quote=“Weyrling, post:2, topic:13238”]He may have been carrying glitched explosives on him, and dropping them made the game realize “Hey this should have exploded hours ago”.

Pretty terrible way to die tbh, but I primarily murder NPCs from a safe distance if they aren’t willing to follow me around.[/quote]

Thank god it’s not the one that intended. Next time I should be more careful dealing with NPC then.

No, you shouldn’t, neither should anybody else. We’ve had a similar thing in the past where the game killed NPCs off due to a bug, but we shouldn’t have to anticipate an NPC “accidentally” suicide-bombing us and quite frankly I’ve become terrified of the possibility after reading your thread. This is a bug and the people who overlooked it should be held responsible. Don’t have that “whatever, I’ll manage” attitude, encourage those who hunt bugs to fix this as soon as possible. I don’t want to live in fear the next NPC who runs towards me blows me the fuck up and kills my hardy veteran survivor. What, am I supposed to not get close to NPCs at all now? It’s such extreme RNG it would be almost impossible to avoid.

It wouldn’t be the first time that NPC’s have active explosives in their inventory. In fact, I think an npc from the shelter gave me a lit dynamite once. That was quite in the past, true, but I don’t see a reason why it couldn’t happen again.
That would mean that he was a living bomb anyways, because he had an active explosive in his inventory - he would have gone boom anyways, you just had bad luck standing near to him.
Another idea that springs to mind is that the npc wanted to use the C-4 as a weapon and therefore activated it - given enough time, he could have tried throwing it at you, who knows.

Still, all of these options seem still a bit…buggy, so to say.
If it helps: The NPC was a run-away slave with an explosive collar. You accidentally activated the collar because you hit it with your weapon, therefore kaboom. Yes, Fallout Reference. Deal with it. :stuck_out_tongue: