Orgasmic Music? Needs Nerf

Dunno, I think weed needs a buff if listening to music gives more morale than smoking a joint.

I agree Cannabis needs to give more morale. Smoking a joint actually gives half of smoking cannabis out of a pipe, so 3 joints deep your still not getting the morale bonus from music

I agree Cannabis needs to give more morale. Smoking a joint actually gives half of smoking cannabis out of a pipe, so 3 joints deep your still not getting the morale bonus from music
[/quote]

Thats way out of balance. I could understand getting madpumped for a concert, but mp3?? Furthermore smoking a joint should get you more ‘high’ than pipe-in’ it unless the game takes less cannabis to roll a joint than to pack a bowl.

Stupid cannabis idea

Also add some BHO and dab rigs. You have freakin e-vapor pens for nicotine liquid. sooo lets see the crumbly wax and essential extracting equipment to boot. Plus you have to add butane which will make refillable lighters not weird. Then we can go whip dabs in the lab. Though, with low cooking/chem skill, it could cause a life or limb threatening explosion. Same with methamphetamine dude! If im fermenting some killer strawberry moonshine in the same crappy shed as the one im cooking meth in, I want to know that the game will make me pay for being an idiot by detonating a chemical bombshell in my face and igniting a vat of strawberry flavored jet fuel.

Thats way out of balance. I could understand getting madpumped for a concert, but mp3?? Furthermore smoking a joint should get you more ‘high’ than pipe-in’ it unless the game takes less cannabis to roll a joint than to pack a bowl.

Stupid cannabis idea

Also add some BHO and dab rigs. You have freakin e-vapor pens for nicotine liquid. sooo lets see the crumbly wax and essential extracting equipment to boot. Plus you have to add butane which will make refillable lighters not weird. Then we can go whip dabs in the lab. Though, with low cooking/chem skill, it could cause a life or limb threatening explosion. Same with methamphetamine dude! If im fermenting some killer strawberry moonshine in the same crappy shed as the one im cooking meth in, I want to know that the game will make me pay for being an idiot by detonating a chemical bombshell in my face and igniting a vat of strawberry flavored jet fuel.

[/quote]

You got some neat ideas buddy, I don’t care for BHO IRL personally, but im not against adding concentrates of drugs into the game, love the meth lab idea, flammable fumes man

I’d be perfectly happy to give most drugs a bigger morale boost as a replacement for their wacky stat boosting abilities.

I don’t think anyone here wants to see Adderall turn into a useless “feel good” drug, but I know your just trying to work with us

What is your opinion on cannabis? Would you bolster the morale on that? it has no crazy stats, Though it does lack addiction which makes drugs so worth while the high

And the main point of the thread, What do you think about mp3 players? compared to everything else in game, they seem unbalanced morale

Music takes a while to get up to speed. Finding kitty seems even stronger for the battery investment. If music’s joy was turned down I would like to see its battery use go down similarly. Also, music can bring some massive morale boosts in real life. +50 morale really doesn’t seem too high if the survivor in question is into that sort of thing. Perhaps more customisation of personality to adjust where your survivor gets their jollies from. At present such options are mostly limited to food…
I see music as something that could be largely balanced by hearing difficulties. Head-sets nearly deafen you, speakers reduce hearing and make noise…

P.S.
Is car speakers a thing yet? I want the whole town to hear my blazing death-metal as I drive over main street…

[quote=“RAM, post:27, topic:6153”]Music takes a while to get up to speed. Finding kitty seems even stronger for the battery investment. If music’s joy was turned down I would like to see its battery use go down similarly. Also, music can bring some massive morale boosts in real life. +50 morale really doesn’t seem too high if the survivor in question is into that sort of thing. Perhaps more customisation of personality to adjust where your survivor gets their jollies from. At present such options are mostly limited to food…
I see music as something that could be largely balanced by hearing difficulties. Head-sets nearly deafen you, speakers reduce hearing and make noise…

P.S.
Is car speakers a thing yet? I want the whole town to hear my blazing death-metal as I drive over main street…[/quote]

50 morale may not seem a lot but when you compare it to every Liquor/Drug out there it suddenly because way to much morale, and music only takes 10-20 turns to get to max not that long at all.

The wacky statboosts are OP, though. Speed should have it’s uses, but a straight stat-boost isn’t realistic at all. Amphetamines won’t make you faster, stronger, more dextrous, more intelligent, or more perceptive. In fact, dexterity and perception should be slightly lowered due to jittery fingers and an increased focus that can prevent you noticing anything you’re not focusing on. Speed should instead nullify the malus the player is suffering from being drunk, sedated, hungry, thirsty, tired or in pain ; and maybe give a speed bonus to reading and crafting-type activities (but not to running/fighting/etc.). It should definitely be a lifesaver when you’re trying to hack your way through a thousand zombies over two days, or when a horde is hot on your trail and catching up because you’re starving and exhausting, but it should never make you better than you are when well-rested/full/slaked/sober.

As far as the OP goes, I think the +50 isn’t so bad. I wouldn’t mind if it got a minor nerf, though.

[quote=“Bumpkin, post:29, topic:6153”]The wacky statboosts are OP, though. Speed should have it’s uses, but a straight stat-boost isn’t realistic at all. Amphetamines won’t make you faster, stronger, more dextrous, more intelligent, or more perceptive. In fact, dexterity and perception should be slightly lowered due to jittery fingers and an increased focus that can prevent you noticing anything you’re not focusing on. Speed should instead nullify the malus the player is suffering from being drunk, sedated, hungry, thirsty, tired or in pain ; and maybe give a speed bonus to reading and crafting-type activities (but not to running/fighting/etc.). It should definitely be a lifesaver when you’re trying to hack your way through a thousand zombies over two days, or when a horde is hot on your trail and catching up because you’re starving and exhausting, but it should never make you better than you are when well-rested/full/slaked/sober.

As far as the OP goes, I think the +50 isn’t so bad. I wouldn’t mind if it got a minor nerf, though.[/quote]
I like the way you think <3

I don’t buy arguments that “X should make you feel better than Y”. It’s a totally subjective conclusion, therefore we look to game balance to fill in the blanks, which is where the stat boosts and such are pertinent.

Not taking a stance on the morale of tripping, regardless of my personal opinion of it (forgive me, a former drug enforcement officer), but there’s something that needs to be pointed out with regards to game mechanics and realism.

Morale is directly linked to Focus, the in-game ability to learn anything new.
In real life, drugs may assist the brain in utilizing already open neural pathways (thus making doing things you already know easier), but (with certain notable exceptions) they actually inhibit or outright prevent the brain from opening new ones, meaning that you have a hard time learning much of anything while under the influence.
Music, on the other hand, is proven to assist the brain in this process more than ‘just a little’, in fact sometimes showing as much as 60% gains in retention, or so I’ve heard.

So, while it may not make sense when given the meaning of the word morale, it makes sense from a mechanics standpoint.
Therefore, to successfully make the argument of ‘realism’, you’d have to disconnect morale and focus, and that’s on top of re-balancing every single item that influences morale.
I don’t think it’s worth it, personally.

(But I agree that solid stat boosts from drugs are silly)

Lets not jump to any conclusions. As far as Im concerned I lack the ability to drag my Pick-up behind me IRL. So if i go smoke some pcp, I want to rip that truck a new asshole. Some drugs, like adrenaline, will increase metabolism, bpms, and chance of death. With these risk factors present IMO it would deter from accidental OD. So im saying some hard-stats need to be adjusted by drugs, but with less for strength and mostly perception w/intelligence buffs. OOOOHH I just had it! How about we take all hard stat buffs away and make penalty reducers. ie:PCP makes me no stronger than my maximum muscle will allow, so instead buff the strain/pain/anti-gain from lifting too much. Snorting lines makes you care less when you kill innocents but shouldn’t make you Buddha or give you knowledge you previously lacked. You shouldnt be able to install an cbm without proper int and maybe a manual?

Basically Drugs should give the buffs that hard stats offer without the hard stat modification. eg: I smoke meth–meth makes my skill rust reduce and my perception increase, maybe i read faster and run faster too. Im not suggestion perception to be less useful than the other stats, just more mentally orientated, like drugs. Unless im doin some military stimulant 'hulk’esque drug I dont want strength boosts. Just the ability to have no fucks giving about you or anybody else’s bodies.

To somehow tie this in with the MP3. Nerf 'em and give them a bonus boost when on drugs.

The wacky statboosts are OP, though. Speed should have it’s uses, but a straight stat-boost isn’t realistic at all. Amphetamines won’t make you faster, stronger, more dextrous, more intelligent, or more perceptive. In fact, dexterity and perception should be slightly lowered due to jittery fingers and an increased focus that can prevent you noticing anything you’re not focusing on. Speed should instead nullify the malus the player is suffering from being drunk, sedated, hungry, thirsty, tired or in pain ; and maybe give a speed bonus to reading and crafting-type activities (but not to running/fighting/etc.). It should definitely be a lifesaver when you’re trying to hack your way through a thousand zombies over two days, or when a horde is hot on your trail and catching up because you’re starving and exhausting, but it should never make you better than you are when well-rested/full/slaked/sober.

As far as the OP goes, I think the +50 isn’t so bad. I wouldn’t mind if it got a minor nerf, though.[/quote]

Sure some amphetamines wont so much help stats as hinder, But coke should still get your blood rushing and focused like a mother fucker, Codeine and Xanax should maintain its very nice sedative effects, I don’t want drugs to become another alcohol, even though alcohol does help with pain :slight_smile:

Alcohol makes molotovs… How about instead of bitching over something which there is no issue for you bitch about something that matters? Or did you just run out of things to bitch about?

Promptly eats his own words.

Promptly eats his own words.[/quote]

Of course how could I forget about the mollys, but point remains mr troll a lot, not many stats are given through alcohol

Neither are they given through bleach, should we buff that as well oh wise one who ignores half an object’s use?

I am not completely sold on the viewpoint that drugs make you happier than music. Music can be all sorts of inspirational. Forcefully induced happiness can, if recognised as such, be at odds with a self-aware type of person and have a sort of “this is not real” aftertaste that sort of spoils it…

Maybe you should read before posting. My whole thread is about music being stronger than drugs alcohol etc, Im not saying things things need a buff to get crazy, but I am saying music needs a nerf when you compare it to the other forms of morale and what they give you per Item used

As previously mentioned: morale is tied to focus. Focus is tied to learning. While that is true, I can’t see any mind-altering substance surpassing music. They might make you feel great, and certainly qualify to pass it based on the term morale, but they sure as hell aren’t going to help you focus on learning how to construct that rechargeable battery mod and recharging station.