On The Jabberwock

I have not yet done extensive testing, but had a few encounters with the beast. As my name suggests, I triumphed frabulously. It’s fast, it’s tough, and it can dish out pain. It commands an attention I found few other monsters do because of it’s danger, perhaps moreso than hulks.

I’ve been lucky enough to encounter it late game, but even so it took a fair beating when I didn’t just hit it with 5 tons of steel at 100kph. I request observations, funny deaths, and general constructive bickering about it.

he loves to tear off my clothes , usually he just takes off my tank top and under armors , but in the latest encounter he grabbed me by the pants and refused to let go until they weren’t ripped off.

There’s an NPC mission for this creature. If you accept it it pretty much spawns one and sends you to go kill it. Apparently they don’t like the Zeds either.

Before the movement cost change they were easy to kite in shrubs. It did not take any skills or equipment at all. I just punched once and retreated. They are fast but constantly stop to roar and waste turns. It was also an incredibly boring grind.

And now they are one mean bastards that have killed many of my characters. Oh, Jabberwock, I hate you so much.

Jabberwock encounter.

All the pain. All of it.

Burn trees and brushes for maximun damage.
My 3 bugful npcs died fighting one. Those idiots tried to take him down with pipes and emp grenades

What the hell are they from? Links plz?

I think that they are from Alice in wonderland. Correct me if I am wrong.

Let’s consult Wikipedia.

“Jabberwocky” is a nonsense poem written by Lewis Carroll in his 1871 novel Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There, a sequel to Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. The book tells of Alice’s adventures within the back-to-front world of a looking glass.
In an early scene in which she first encounters the chess piece characters White King and White Queen, Alice finds a book written in a seemingly unintelligible language. Realising that she is travelling through an inverted world, she recognises that the verse on the pages are written in mirror-writing. She holds a mirror to one of the poems, and reads the reflected verse of “Jabberwocky”. She finds the nonsense verse as puzzling as the odd land she has passed into, later revealed as a dreamscape.[1]
“Jabberwocky” is considered one of the greatest nonsense poems written in English.[2][3] Its playful, whimsical language has given us nonsense words and neologisms such as “galumphing” and “chortle”.

So that, I guess.

Originally Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There, then probably the most PitA boss in the Alice third-person shooter.

Contains spoilers about Hulks and Jabbers.

[spoiler]Alright so via cheating I just spawned one with the intention to teleport away if it got too sour. However I managed to kill it with far less issues and via chatlog have found it has between 385 and 411 health. Knowing cataclysm it’s probably 400 so they can take a lot of abuse.

Their corpse has a volume of 600 and a weight of 4000, so they’re as big and as heavy as a Zombie Hulk corpse.

Similarly to Hulks they drop leather when butchered, however they also drop edible meat and sinew.[/spoiler]

Ok, I’m new at this game. Can anyone recommend how to deal with them? Especially early on. I’ve had 3 promising new characters killed by them so far, even the one with a MAC-10. It seems like as soon as one randomly enters my field of view I’m just dead. They’re too tough to kill and too fast to run away from, even with Fleet-Footed.

In cataclysm however, Jabberwocks are a huge flesh golem made out of humand and animal parts and with lots of writhing faces; they probably look something like this:

Honest question time… and more about the creatures than you will probably want to know…

When I was adding these I was a little uncertain of how the community would respond. They were, like the npc mission alludes to, a counter to the ‘raid at night’ live in the woods strategy. As long as you only stick to a small patch of woods then the danger of encountering one is relatively low. It is when you have a new character and are covering large amounts of wooded/swap territory that it becomes an issue. Pretty much it was to curb stomp ‘elves’ who run about with their little bows until they have enough skill to slaughter entire towns of normal zombies.

Jabberwock is the animal/human “flesh golem” but what would you think about encountering Legion which is the pure human “flesh golem”… Jabberwock is sinewy and lean while Legion would be massive and slow. Both have the advantage of multiple ‘heads’ integrated into their body so they have more HP than a typical zombie of comparable size… but Legion would be designed to counter vehicles.

Storyline wise, the flesh golems arise from the mass graves and corpse pits where the biological matter became inseparable and simply fuzed corpses together.

As a hint, the best counter to them is probably running straight into town or a building… they stop to destroy walls and can lose your trail while doing so.

Although it offers a fun challenge, ya’ll don’t really think it is excessive now do you?

Personally I’ve lost two characters to jabberwocks. Both less than a week old. They are currently my most feared mob. One simply spawned near my shelter. The other one I tried via the NPC quest. Those things are fearsome and crazy tough for low levs. But they’re also kinda fun because of that. They do feel overpowered but I don’t think they should be nerfed.

To easily evade them, take the Quick trait, find some Adderall, and when you see one, pop 3 pills and run away. Their speed is about 140, and this gives you speed about 150. I’ve escaped at least 7 of them this way.

You can just carefully cut through a forest so it gets caught on trees and shrubs and can’t catch up too.

If I can easily take a Jabberwock in melee, it’s a good indication that I have a very solid melee build.

The ~140 speed makes them very nasty for a new player. At that speed if one is running after you in mostly open ground, you’re forced to engage. Unless you have a very solid build and the gear to back it up, game over.

It is vulnerable to fire, although atm fire seems pretty OP when it slows them down. Especially for a forest monster, vulnerability to fire seems good though.

Perhaps it’s the spawn rate on them that is a bit high? I generally expect to see at least 1 if I’m going through any decent forest. I’m a pessimist though :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“acidia, post:15, topic:1878”]Honest question time… and more about the creatures than you will probably want to know…

When I was adding these I was a little uncertain of how the community would respond. They were, like the npc mission alludes to, a counter to the ‘raid at night’ live in the woods strategy. As long as you only stick to a small patch of woods then the danger of encountering one is relatively low. It is when you have a new character and are covering large amounts of wooded/swap territory that it becomes an issue. Pretty much it was to curb stomp ‘elves’ who run about with their little bows until they have enough skill to slaughter entire towns of normal zombies.

Jabberwock is the animal/human “flesh golem” but what would you think about encountering Legion which is the pure human “flesh golem”… Jabberwock is sinewy and lean while Legion would be massive and slow. Both have the advantage of multiple ‘heads’ integrated into their body so they have more HP than a typical zombie of comparable size… but Legion would be designed to counter vehicles.

Storyline wise, the flesh golems arise from the mass graves and corpse pits where the biological matter became inseparable and simply fuzed corpses together.

As a hint, the best counter to them is probably running straight into town or a building… they stop to destroy walls and can lose your trail while doing so.

Although it offers a fun challenge, ya’ll don’t really think it is excessive now do you?[/quote]

I don’t mind the possibility of fighting Legion–would be interesting to see a Castlevania reference. What I do mind is
a) Corpse Pits at last check aren’t actually flammable (I expected them to be flammable ), so having things spawn from them (even if only in flavor-text) seems chintzy.
b) Critters being added specifically to counter X strategy gets really irritating–it’s an incentive to not discuss working strategies because some jackhole dev will screw it up. I didn’t appreciate Smokers countering melee, and I don’t appreciate Jabberwocks being designed to counter survivalists. To the degree that Legion would be designed to punish Deathmobiles, I oppose it.
c) A critter with a magic knockdown ability (anyone know if it trumps Judo?) seems excessive, not fun. The possibility of having one show within week 1? here’s hoping I didn’t like that map anyway.

Re fire as “OP”: Uh, it kills you pretty good if you get in it. I don’t think fire needs any sort of nerf.