What's that MONSTER?!?

Welcome to “What’s that Poke-” I mean “MONSTER?!?”
This is where players who find new monsters can ask questions about them that aren’t already awnsered by the wiki. For example:

How do I avoid/kill this monster?
Do they travel in groups or alone?
Where do they usually spawn?
Why the fuck do I keep getting killed by Jabberwocks?
WTF IS a Jabberwock? etc. (seriously, there is no wiki page for a jabberwock yet. Kind of a pain.)

If you have a question, submit it here.
If you have a tale relating to how you narrowly avoided death by an angry mob of , tell it here so we can learn from your awesomeness.
If you died by a random monster from the bowles of hell that somehow showed up three minuets after you left the shelter- well you get the idea.

Hopefully this will become your #1 source of knowledge for the unknown.

A jabberwock is like a pterodactyl with multiple heads, that spawn in the woods.

Just basically keep either a high caliber gun with 10 rounds of ammo for it or a ton of loaded crossbows with steel bolts loaded into them.

Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabberwocky for more lore on what it actually is. I mention that the jabberwock in the game has multiple heads because it is described that way ingame mind you.

From what I can gather from the description in-game Jabberwocks look something like this:

As for why they keep showing up, it’s because we missed a small thing for the .6 release that made Jabberwocks much more frequent. In the bleeding edge versions they’ve been dropped down to 1-2 total per overmap, instead of 1 for every 300 forest tiles.

So…how do I change that? I have .6 for the windows as well.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:3, topic:2070”]From what I can gather from the description in-game Jabberwocks look something like this:

As for why they keep showing up, it’s because we missed a small thing for the .6 release that made Jabberwocks much more frequent. In the bleeding edge versions they’ve been dropped down to 1-2 total per overmap, instead of 1 for every 300 forest tiles.[/quote]

Oh, so there is guarenteed to be at least one of them per spawn as of right now. Right?

Go to the main cataclysm page and click one of the links under “Experimental Builds”.

Not quite sure what you are asking here. As of .6 Jabberwocks have a 1 in 300 chance of being spawned for each forest tile. In the current dev version they have about a 1 in 10000 chance (which should be approximately 1-2 per overmap).

Not quite sure what you are asking here. As of .6 Jabberwocks have a 1 in 300 chance of being spawned for each forest tile. In the current dev version they have about a 1 in 10000 chance (which should be approximately 1-2 per overmap).
[/quote]
Oops, I thought you were saying the “.6” version spawned about 1-2 Jabberwocks per overmap.
So in .6 (not the dev version), approximately how many Jabberwocks spawn per overmap?

Somewhere around 60ish, but they are concentrated in all of the forests.

So the best way to avoid these monsters is to stay away from forests if possible.

Beware , there is a new , never seen creature roaming the plains , it can unlock doors and spawns with a fully loaded SKS. Some call them the Non-Player Characters , but most people call them Non-Player Fuck Faces.

My most promising character died to an Not-Player Asshole who apparently was taking a shit in a bush few metres in a forest.
I was on my quest to repopulate the world , equipped with an iron will , a message of peace and an AK-47 i accidentally interrupted him and it triggered his human instinct of fight or flight. Since his pants were down and he had no means of running away from me he proceeded to activate his army veteran combat skills and somehow managed to pull out full automatic fire from the SKS. It was so epic to die in a gun fight where bullets went litteraly everywhere , i mean he never missed , i totally flubbed up.

I added the Jabberwock page to the wiki today. Update it with anything else we need to know about them.

Beware , there is a new , never seen creature roaming the plains , it can unlock doors and spawns with a fully loaded SKS. Some call them the Non-Player Characters , but most people call them Non-Player Fuck Faces.[/quote]

NPCs are generally a buggy mess right now. Personally, I’d advise against enabling them.

Flaming Eye: Is this new to .6? I ran into one in a .6 spawn. It blinded me for a while and destroyed part of the wall of my evac shelter. my blindness was similiar to that zombie (forget the name) who can blind you too. I did not see a status effect. It was gone by the time my blindness went away. Im not sure if destroying part of my shelter and turning it into rubble killed it.

that can be nasty if a flaming eye can destroy walls.

[quote=“youtoo, post:13, topic:2070”]Flaming Eye: Is this new to .6? I ran into one in a .6 spawn. It blinded me for a while and destroyed part of the wall of my evac shelter. my blindness was similiar to that zombie (forget the name) who can blind you too. I did not see a status effect. It was gone by the time my blindness went away. Im not sure if destroying part of my shelter and turning it into rubble killed it.

that can be nasty if a flaming eye can destroy walls.[/quote]
Flaming eye’s have been around since before .5 IIRC, but they are fairly rare due to only spawning under special circumstances (such as near portals). Their staring can cause a variety of effects, one of which is blindness. It actually infects you with teleglow, the disease you get by using teleporters.

No, flaming eyes cannot destroy walls.

Cannot destroy walls? I met one in one of the older versions, and it blasted a straight line through the wall with its gaze. Didn’t kill me, but stared at me until my shoes exploded because I had suddenly grown hooves.

… I guess they’re different now.

You sure about that? I had a few flaming eyes floating freely in a science lab. It did not really look ‘walled’ anymore after a few turns.

Ok, missed part of their special attack, my bad. :stuck_out_tongue:

Apparently if flaming eyes can’t see you and you are close enough for them to target you then they blast non-seethrough terrain to rubble.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:17, topic:2070”]Ok, missed part of their special attack, my bad. :stuck_out_tongue:

Apparently if flaming eyes can’t see you and you are close enough for them to target you then they blast non-seethrough terrain to rubble.[/quote]

BTW, when they start reducing all the walls to rubble, there’s a good chance they set free some monsters in the process. That’s how my guy died, by an Amigara horror.

But I did get some interesting lab notes out of it before i died. It told me what caused the zombie outbreak to spread rapidly. It came from an attempt to recreate a substance they thought could revive humans with zero strings attached. Obviously it failed, and some how spread across the entire…shit it didn’t even say how far it spread. Every one in the lab was contaminated though, so it makes you wonder if starting as a lab technician gives you a small chance of coming back from the dead when you die. Well…i got off topic pretty quickly there. lol.

[quote=“SKiPPY, post:18, topic:2070”][quote=“i2amroy, post:17, topic:2070”]Ok, missed part of their special attack, my bad. :stuck_out_tongue:

Apparently if flaming eyes can’t see you and you are close enough for them to target you then they blast non-seethrough terrain to rubble.[/quote]

BTW, when they start reducing all the walls to rubble, there’s a good chance they set free some monsters in the process. That’s how my guy died, by an Amigara horror.

But I did get some interesting lab notes out of it before i died. It told me what caused the zombie outbreak to spread rapidly. It came from an attempt to recreate a substance they thought could revive humans with zero strings attached. Obviously it failed, and some how spread across the entire…shit it didn’t even say how far it spread. Every one in the lab was contaminated though, so it makes you wonder if starting as a lab technician gives you a small chance of coming back from the dead when you die. Well…i got off topic pretty quickly there. lol.[/quote]As far as I know, you are already infected and will come back to join your Z buddies after death.

Now since Amigara Horror was mentioned, how do you guys deal with them?

Light amplification goggles, implanted night vision or full night vision mutations will allow me to see them, but they cannot see me. Therefore, I can shoot them to death safe from their nasty special attack.

I thinks it’s aclled a hi-lo, and it spawns in labs beacuse first room i walk in BAM right on the mob compass and hi-lo. I run up the stairs, thinking i’m safe, nope, chuck testa hi-lo and zombie scientists come up. The hi-lo was too fast so I fought it and died.

On another note, if you see on the mob compass a jabberwock, run the opposite direction and be careful only to move onto tiles that don’t have a big movement cost. Sence the don’t have the same integligence they will go through tons of trees and bushes while you are hopping along throwing daisys out of a basket with your tenticle arms.