On crutches - fences roam? - it's SOME! :)

on crutches - fences roam? - It is off the hook!

maybe someday in the future, the author will be able to “unlearn” the players character, if his legs in “tires” (for the legs broke completely, foot health = 0) to climb the fences?
for I am today, with broken legs climb mesh fences.
but this should not be, by idea. it’s not possible, i think. maybe i know not so many…
though … you want to live - and will try not so only this.

no. but still, it’s fun. I’d like to look like crutches can climb on the fence :slight_smile:

Without meaning to criticize, this reads like a poem by Lewis Carroll :stuck_out_tongue: Also, this should probably go in the suggestions thread.

But yeah, CDDA survivors are badass. Not only can they climb fences with broken legs, they can wield a katana with two broken arms!

If Lewis Carroll used Google Translate to write his poems, that is.

I swear. EVERY time vivat writes a post, somebody has to criticize their use of language. You know what? It’s fuckin’ good on 'em for bridging the language barrier in this way even despite the awkward grammars it creates.

Personally, I always like Vivats posts, they make me smile :slight_smile:

And yes, Survivors are…odd. you can break all their limbs and they are still able to move around, drive a car or fight. Wouldn’t it make sense to give the player some kind of tag/mark when they have a broken arm/leg, which will stop them from doing certain things or using certain items?
We do have a CBM with a similar function, if I recall? The fusion blaster thingie?

I like Vivats posts as well, no criticism there. He rarely talks about conventional questions (i.e. how do I do this) and instead asks “what if” questions.

You tackle language barriers by studying the foreign language, not by using some universal translator while hoping it can do the job. That’s the lazy way. We’re a million miles away from elegant machine-based translations. It’s just inconsiderate to use one, unless it’s an emergency. One cannot rule out simple benevolent ignorance either - there’s probably more than a few people who just don’t know how languages work, therefore never realizing just how difficult it is to go from one language to another. It’s a goddamn nightmare, and I probably don’t even know half of it when it comes to creating a software-based translator. Trust me, I’m bilingual. Hell, look at Google. With all that money and intellectual capital at their disposal they’re probably the leading company in this field, and yet the result is often terrible. That should say something about the challenge that translating presents.

But, whatever. I don’t want to stand in the way of freedom of speech, as long it doesn’t turn into unintelligible spam, blocking the more important messages, which should actually be considered as hindering and diluting the freedom of speech.

I don’t have to like it. No one can force me to like it. You (dear reader) are free to enjoy the semi-unintelligible text as poetry and art. I, in my grand spelling nazism, will not, not for longer than a fleeting moment as we struggle to explore and define humanity, and to mimic humanity in this ®age of information in order to create humanlike machines, machine-based gods, or translators which are indistinguishable from human translators.

For all we know, we’re dealing with a bot here, while we argue whether or not it should be allowed to have freedom of speech, by which I mean the right to post in a forum. Ever been part of a social experiment without realizing it? Of course not. Neither have I.

[politely sets the mic on the floor]

I wonder what Vivat is thinking right now. “Was Google Translate a bad idea? I should have used Bing.”

Seriously, stop insulting Vivat.

beerbeer, Ive not had any problem with you as a person but…

I get the idea behind what you are saying, but no. Just no. Learning a new language is hard. I can not. Under any circumstances, be upset at someone for trying to breach the language barrier without first learning an entire language before hand. If they are willing to go through the trouble to Translate what we are saying and decipher that through google translate, and then copy and paste their reply through translate before posting so we don’t have to… They are going the whole nine yards, if not the extra mile of learning the language. Give em credit and don’t hate them for not already knowing the language.

Hate on computers some other way.

Bing?
i will try this.
thanks

and, Litppunk, thanks.

[quote=“Litppunk, post:10, topic:12088”]beerbeer, Ive not had any problem with you as a person but…

I get the idea behind what you are saying, but no. Just no. Learning a new language is hard. I can not. Under any circumstances, be upset at someone for trying to breach the language barrier without first learning an entire language before hand. If they are willing to go through the trouble to Translate what we are saying and decipher that through google translate, and then copy and paste their reply through translate before posting so we don’t have to… They are going the whole nine yards, if not the extra mile of learning the language. Give em credit and don’t hate them for not already knowing the language.

Hate on computers some other way.[/quote]

yes, you right

anecdote (joke):
"Dad, why do we need two humps?
you know, my son, we are camels, and our humps are very necessary for us.
in the humps we are stocking fat, which we need for long crossings on dry land.
dad, DAD, but for what we humps, if we live in the MOSCOW ZOO?!! "

• great country, all life in it can live on without saying a single word in English. “Why learn English? English is simply not necessary!” :slight_smile:
    although - as it turned out - very much needed.

well - i use my old scool vocabulary (what still in my brains) when i may talk simply and - i use translator in other cases.

Nice allegory.

I’m definitely on Vivats and Littpunks side here.
Learning a language is hard, I know from experience. My english was simply atrocious back in the past, I barely even managed to pass the english class in my schools. I learned english by actually using it - i played english games, spoke and wrote with english people, or sometimes just listened to them, or read their texts. I listened to english songs, and after a while I improved my english. I’m still not perfect, and my grammar is most likely only passable, but it works out for me - and english is such an integral part of my life now that I even think in english - at least sometimes.

What I’m trying to say: Vivat isn’t doing anything wrong with using a Translator. He isn’t able to use the english language to the extend he wants or needs to, so he uses some aid to make himself more understandable. It’s like using those little support wheels when you’re learning how to drive a bike (something I actually never learned, huh…oh well! I’m more a car person anyways.). And, with time, he WILL learn more of the english language by using a translator and reading our answers. So it’s all good, right?

As am I. I don’t think Vivat needs to learn English right now just for this forum, Google Translate is fine for me. What’s important is what he is trying to say, not how it is presented.

Funny. This thread started as a comment on how characters can use crutches to climb fences, but now the discussion is about how much of a crutch google translate is/isn’t.

Long as nobody becomes overly dependent on it and instead uses it as a tool to help in the transition and learning process. Speaking of which I should really learn more languages.

I am not good enough with english to understand people that are realy bad with english.
Its already a miracle that i can read what i write myself.

Yeah, well, maybe I demand more from myself, so I (mistakenly) place the same expectations on others. Screw me for setting the bar high, right? It’s not like my parents spoke English… And yes, learning foreign languages takes time. Never said it was fast or easy. I, too, learned (more) by gaming, movies, music, and so on. That’s the global cultural invasion that the English speaking countries are conducting, knowingly or otherwise, and have been conducting for the past 20 years at least, uniting the world. And it’s beautiful. I can’t wait until we can cancel all the other languages. :stuck_out_tongue:

Besides, the forum has international boards.

But what can ya do if your primary/secondary education doesn’t hammer a second language into your head, right? You work with what you have. :expressionless:

As much as I’d like to master a couple more languages, I would never use GT in other foreign language forums. I just know better than that. There are better ways. YouTube is also probably filled with language courses, in any language. Also, let’s not forget dictionary.com, which is a fantastic personal educational tool, even for native English speakers.

Are you sure? Are you sure it wasn’t about hitting fences with crutches while being chased by roaming hordes of zombies? OK, maybe I believe you. You’re obviously better at picking up what he’s saying. I lose patience fast if a person doesn’t speak/write coherently.

What I got:

on crutches - fences roam? - It is off the hook!
crutches & fences crazy... AKA On crutches - jump over fences? That's Crazy!
maybe someday in the future, the author will be able to "unlearn" the players character, if his legs in "tires" (for the legs broke completely, foot health = 0) to climb the fences?
Maybe in the future, devs (authors of the game) will be able to UN-game-itize the players character, so that if his legs in a cast (because the legs completely broke, foot health = 0) he can't climb fences? (aka you shouldn't be able to climb fences in a cast)
for I am today, with broken legs climb mesh fences.
Because right now, I can climb fences with a broken leg.
but this should not be, by idea. it's not possible, i think. maybe i know not so many... though ... you want to live - and will try not so only this.
But I think this should not be so, I don't think its possible, but maybe I am mistaken... although ... you want to live - so might try to do this among other things. (so basically if your desperate, you'd probably try, but likely wouldn't succeed.)
no. but still, it's fun. I'd like to look like crutches can climb on the fence :)
No. (it's not possible) but still, it's fun (CDDA, and climbing fences with crutches) I'd like to see what that would look like :) (basically its an entertaining image to think of his character climbing a fence with crutches)