Obsolete energy conversion rate for CBM:UPS? (build 0.B-2558)

I’ve noticed this for a while now; since the last time the power units for bionics has been multiplied to match them to external battery charges, it seems that UPS dependent items that draws from the players’ bionic powers itself is still using the old rates. For example, a V29 laser pistol that would draw 20 charge from an external UPS would instead draw only 2 charges from players with the CBM:UPS.

Also, when the players have both the external UPS and the CBM version, the device would draw charges from both source at once, exceeding the needed amount. I don’t think this should happen.

I don’t think that’s actually a bug.

Let’s take a fusion blaster rifle. The description says it uses 40 charges per shot. After a shot, there were three outcomes:
UPS (1000) -> UPS (960) (-40 charge)
CBM: UPS, 3000 power -> CBM: UPS, 2996 (-4 charge)
Advanced UPS (2500) -> Advanced UPS (2499) (-1 charge)

The differences are too, well, different for it to be a bug.

[quote=“EditorRUS, post:2, topic:8463”]I don’t think that’s actually a bug.

Let’s take a fusion blaster rifle. The description says it uses 40 charges per shot. After a shot, there were three outcomes:
UPS (1000) -> UPS (960) (-40 charge)
CBM: UPS, 3000 power -> CBM: UPS, 2996 (-4 charge)
Advanced UPS (2500) -> Advanced UPS (2499) (-1 charge)

The differences are too, well, different for it to be a bug.[/quote]

But UPS-modded tools consume bionic powers at the same rate as it does normal batteries! In fact, it is only energy weapons that seems to have different consumption rates for different types of UPS.

It says in the UPS CBM that it is much more efficient, so it’s probably not a bug. (The thing about using external and CBM at the same time probably is, though.)

I feel like this would make more sense to look at if there weren’t different amounts of power being directed through different things. But the different UPS’s are supposed to be more efficient, so I find myself wondering if increasing the power limit of the UPS’s would be more or less efficient? Because it’d at least consume the same amount of power as their neighbors; that amount of power just is worth less as a whole compared to lower tiers.

Could also just me having trouble visualizing the mechanics here.

Standard UPS is a big ol’ battery tank. It should consume the same draw as batteries.

Bionic UPS is a UPS port in your power storage. Probably also the same draw. (The idea behind the number shift was to get rid of problems like this one, and to reduce the issue where bionic charges were somehow more efficient because they couldn’t be transferred out of the bionic system; that efficiency-thing only caused confusion and was likely a bad idea.)

Advanced UPS runs on plutonium and therefore stores more power in the same container. Whether its charges should be worth “more”, well, I just spoke to that idea.