New Website Launched, Kickstarter Announced!

Serious question: how does one with a Cyrillic/Greek/Hebrew/Arabic/whatever keyboard play the game? I don't seem to be able to use my non-English letters, what is playing on a keyboard that has only non-English letters like?

I’ll play catch…
I found one of my unattended installations of WinXP_SP3 arabic codepaged. Meaning that if you wanted to, you could do all your work in eastern/arabic script. Text layout is completely different so you can only use above average-commercial utilities and programs. On the other hand, you can install support for other languages (western/eastern/whatevah) and switch appropriately.
Of course, people tend to have multiple OS machines so their installations wouldn’t omit for unfair reason. I like having some win16 support anywhere; also, w9x games are very sensitive on the issue and won’t run if you don’t set up the environment to US standards.
But it’s all just part of growing up, and here - CataDDA is the toddler. :smiley:

I’d love to help translate the game into French, if that ever becomes a possibility. :smiley:

I can also try and translate into German, but I can’t promise I’d be much good (and I’m sure we have some native German speakers on here somewhere).

As a German I’d be happy to help :slight_smile:

Awesome!

I’d obviously be happy to help, but you’d probably be much better than me at translating (I only did German in school until I was 18) :smiley:

[quote=“Benedict, post:44, topic:1554”]Awesome!

I’d obviously be happy to help, but you’d probably be much better than me at translating (I only did German in school until I was 18) :D[/quote]

Mich auch.

Quoted for future reference, incase in a few months or so you bastards wild roaming coders that are easily frightened become greedy.

Good luck, and be wary of promising people physical stuff on the kickstarter project.

I’m learning German too. Consonants. Consonants everywhere.

I would buy a T shirt if my boss wasn’t a slave driver and made me work 19 hours a bloody day-For no bloody pay.

I can’t see a kickstarter generating enough money for someone to quit there job and work on this full time. That was the implication from the website. I work as a DBA and I know the compensation range for quality developers. Adom got a total of $90,000. That would not pay a good developer(with 5-7 years experience) for a year in the US (especially since they also get benefits). Though I like Cataclysm I can’t see this game getting anywhere near what Adom (and I paid for Adom 1.2 pre-releases) since that game has a 15 year track record of development. I belive Bay12 gets what $45-50k/year and that community dwarf’s (no pun intended) this one.

So what does the kickstarter really mean? If you guys are professional programmers the amount of money that kickstarter will bring in will be a fraction of what you get working.

Also, I would like to see a comment from Whales on this. I think atleast one other person added that.

Couldn’t they supplement some of the revenue with ads? I know Dead Frontier pays decently for their ads on other zombie themed sites.

The kickstarter means we can get a developer enough money to survive on to work solely on Cataclysm for a year. Yes, it will be a fraction of what he makes now and what he could make. I don’t think anyone is going to decide to work on Cataclysm for the money - it’s because he wants to, and this means he can. We’re looking for around 2k - 2.5k a month which is, I think, achievable, if not for a year then at least a half year, and quite a bit of progress can be made in that time.

And ads don’t really work for what we want. They are a way to get compensation, but we aren’t looking for compensation, we’re looking for a way to spend more time working on the game. Ads don’t really offer that, especially at the relatively low numbers of viewers. We need to know in advance if Ethan can get enough money to actually afford to work on Cataclysm full-time.

What about a YT channel, where you talk about the changes and ideas in the game, maybe do a quick game every once in a while?

The kickstarter means we can get a developer enough money to survive on to work solely on Cataclysm for a year. Yes, it will be a fraction of what he makes now and what he could make. I don’t think anyone is going to decide to work on Cataclysm for the money - it’s because he wants to, and this means he can. We’re looking for around 2k - 2.5k a month which is, I think, achievable, if not for a year then at least a half year, and quite a bit of progress can be made in that time.[/quote]

Exactly. Besides, plenty of decent programmers around who can’t get such a high paying job because they live in a poor country/don’t have the piece of paper that says they have the experience they have. Personally, I’d instantly take the chance to work on something fun like cataclysm fulltime, even if it just barelly covers living expenses.

If you need a French translation, I can help with that. Native French speaker here.

If you’ll ever have a support for multiple languages, I COULD (if I’ll have the time and patience) make a Czech translation.

I could make a Spanish traslation, maybe

Hey there,

I quickly scanned this thread and was wondering, will we be able to back this by paypal? I mention this because paypal isn’t available for Kickstarter, so usually the companies try to have paypal-backing as an alternative somehow.

Also, although there will most likely be almost no interest in having it translated into Dutch, if there’s enough people who want it I could help with that. Same goes for a Japanese translation (don’t count on that one being well done though).

I asked about Paypal somewhere before, and the general sentiment was “yeah, kickstarter doesn’t use paypal, also they kind of eat your money during transaction fees. Try Amazon as an alternative.”

Whiiiich I still need to actually do.

Yeah that’s why I asked, can’t use amazon actually. No access to a credit card. Ah well.