New vehicle construction system explained

[quote=“DG123, post:60, topic:3507”]I’ve been wondering about that too.

Do windshields stop bullets reaching you or something else that the panels wouldn’t?

I know reinforced glass is at least useful for armouring your solar panels…[/quote]

Pretty confident that they stop rain from reaching you, and that it’s either windshields or boards for that effect on the sides of a vehicle. (You’ll need a roof, too.)

A roofed quarterpanel will be functionally identical to a windshield, except it doesn’t break as easily. I picture it as either a metal plate with a substantial vision slit, or else as an opening with metal bars solid and close enough to prevent any unwanted zombie incursions. Very Mad Max. =)

[quote=“HeadWar, post:62, topic:3507”]A roofed quarterpanel will be functionally identical to a windshield, except it doesn’t break as easily. I picture it as either a metal plate with a substantial vision slit, or else as an opening with metal bars solid and close enough to prevent any unwanted zombie incursions. Very Mad Max. =)

MadMAX[/quote]

Now I know what I’ve missed all the time ingame … halftracks!

Actually, you don’t even need to roof it, a quarterpanel counts as an inside/outside divider in the same way as a board or windshield, so as far as I can tell, there is no difference at all between a windshield and a quarterpanel, except you can’t mount a curtain on a quarterpanel. Doesn’t seem quite right…

Quarterpanels should probably not block movement/firing, but should be a requirement for mounting a windshield/window.

I hope this is in the right thread, in the new system I can’t figure out how to make my lights (installed flashlights) face the right direction. It asks for a direction but I don’t know what to push so I hit ESC. Then it just places the light facing in a random direction. Any help would be awesome! Thanks!

When it asks you to choose a direction the pointer is by default on the light. Use the arrow keys to move it around based on the direction your car is currently facing, then hit enter. That’s it!

Ie, if your car is facing down, and you want your headlights to point whereever you’re facing (ie. the front of the car), you would move the cursor down.

A separate thread in the garage would be the most correct location.
The UI is definitely not the greatest, when you have the “pick a direction” menu up, you hit enter, then move a cursor around as if you were in look around mode, then hit enter to set the aim point.

The headlight direction thing confused me quite a bit when I was mashing the up key and nothing happened.

What I don’t quite get, since I can’t read code, what are the differences between motorcycle/car/truck/storage batteries and car/truck alternators and how does the power of the engine/ power source effect them? IRL, automotive alternators are absolutely crap for generating electricity, they need extremely high rpms and are designed to keep an already fully charged battery charged, not to recharge a depleted one. You can’t just, say, pull the alternator off your car and run it to a pully spun by a windmill and run it to a 12v battery. It wouldn’t work.

So I have a simple generator in my basement, does an I-4 matter against a 0.XXcl lawnmower engine if they consume the same amount of fuel? What if I use a diesel off an APC and use a motorcycle alternator? How does this all work?

Minor question… if I want a seat in a vehicle enclosed against the weather, do I need to put roof parts on the adjutant spaces where I have board parts? Also, I notice I get alot of ‘the wind is making your ‘X bodypart’ very cold!’ nomatter the condition of the vehicle, closed doors and everything when I’m driving. I’m considering my survivors just roll in super-duper military-adamentium-plated sci-fi motorcycles since roofs and seats and windshields don’t seem to block wind or anything.

[quote=“Burnt Earth, post:68, topic:3507”]What I don’t quite get, since I can’t read code, what are the differences between motorcycle/car/truck/storage batteries and car/truck alternators and how does the power of the engine/ power source effect them? IRL, automotive alternators are absolutely crap for generating electricity, they need extremely high rpms and are designed to keep an already fully charged battery charged, not to recharge a depleted one. You can’t just, say, pull the alternator off your car and run it to a pully spun by a windmill and run it to a 12v battery. It wouldn’t work.

So I have a simple generator in my basement, does an I-4 matter against a 0.XXcl lawnmower engine if they consume the same amount of fuel? What if I use a diesel off an APC and use a motorcycle alternator? How does this all work?[/quote]

The alternator/battery situation IIRC was written by someone who had no idea how alternators work, and people just went with it. It’s thus a lot more work now to remove it. Currently I believe all they do is generate power when your engine is on, which yes is quite unrealistic, but from a gameplay perspective it’s not all that far-fetched. The game’s not set in the present, after all.

(some time later, having browsed yonder Git…)

So it looks like alternators simply are the opposite of power-consuming devices, codewise. You can fit one of each size onto the same engine with no repercussions. The engine does not affect the power generated, only the size of the alternator does. The most efficient one is the truck alternator. As long as the attached engine is running, the alternator will continue to generate electrical power into any battery storage on the vehicle. The power storage also makes no difference, they are all just different max capacities and weights and nothing else, though the small storage battery I believe can be attached to already crowded vehicle tiles.

The best engine to use would be a single 1-cylinder gas or diesel with all 3 alternators attached and as many storage batteries you can cram onto it, and at least 1 swappable battery so you can refill other devices with it.

Minor question... if I want a seat in a vehicle enclosed against the weather, do I need to put roof parts on the adjutant spaces where I have board parts? Also, I notice I get alot of 'the wind is making your 'X bodypart' very cold!' nomatter the condition of the vehicle, closed doors and everything when I'm driving. I'm considering my survivors just roll in super-duper military-adamentium-plated sci-fi motorcycles since roofs and seats and windshields don't seem to block wind or anything.

Currently vehicle interiors don’t block windchill, that is, temperature loss due to speed. It does however stop ambient temperature from affecting you just as if you were indoors. To make a tile turn “Indoors” it has to have a roof, and either a roof, a board or a door in non-diagonal adjacent tiles.

Nope.
Adding less efficient alternators decreases efficiency.

Best generator design is any engine smaller than V12 + single truck alternator.

Engine fuel usage scales linearly with its load, but has a lower cap of 1%. Truck alternator load is exactly 1% of 10 L engine and only engine that can be 10 L or more is V12.

Nope.
Adding less efficient alternators decreases efficiency.

Best generator design is any engine smaller than V12 + single truck alternator.

Engine fuel usage scales linearly with its load, but has a lower cap of 1%. Truck alternator load is exactly 1% of 10 L engine and only engine that can be 10 L or more is V12.[/quote]

Ah! I stand corrected.

Also something I didn’t know before: You can attach alternators to foot pedals to make power without using fuel… but I’m not sure how the foot pedals work in terms of the “engine” being “on”, which is a requirement for alternators to work.

You have to be on the tile and “driving” but that’s about it. I think you can read, etc if you’re set to 0 speed on cruise control.

[quote=“Abbysynth, post:69, topic:3507”]The alternator/battery situation IIRC was written by someone who had no idea how alternators work, and people just went with it. It’s thus a lot more work now to remove it. Currently I believe all they do is generate power when your engine is on, which yes is quite unrealistic, but from a gameplay perspective it’s not all that far-fetched. The game’s not set in the present, after all.

(some time later, having browsed yonder Git…)

So it looks like alternators simply are the opposite of power-consuming devices, codewise. You can fit one of each size onto the same engine with no repercussions. The engine does not affect the power generated, only the size of the alternator does. The most efficient one is the truck alternator. As long as the attached engine is running, the alternator will continue to generate electrical power into any battery storage on the vehicle. The power storage also makes no difference, they are all just different max capacities and weights and nothing else, though the small storage battery I believe can be attached to already crowded vehicle tiles.

The best engine to use would be a single 1-cylinder gas or diesel with all 3 alternators attached and as many storage batteries you can cram onto it, and at least 1 swappable battery so you can refill other devices with it.

Minor question... if I want a seat in a vehicle enclosed against the weather, do I need to put roof parts on the adjutant spaces where I have board parts? Also, I notice I get alot of 'the wind is making your 'X bodypart' very cold!' nomatter the condition of the vehicle, closed doors and everything when I'm driving. I'm considering my survivors just roll in super-duper military-adamentium-plated sci-fi motorcycles since roofs and seats and windshields don't seem to block wind or anything.

Currently vehicle interiors don’t block windchill, that is, temperature loss due to speed. It does however stop ambient temperature from affecting you just as if you were indoors. To make a tile turn “Indoors” it has to have a roof, and either a roof, a board or a door in non-diagonal adjacent tiles.[/quote]

That was helpful, thanks. Yeah, I suppose alternators don’t need to be ‘realistic’ if it’s in the future and whatnot, jury-rigging generators should be a thing. I noticed quarter panels stop bullets and count as ‘indoors’ so I’m thinking of eliminating windshields and boards from my designs.

Out of curiosity, I don’t suppose some perpetual-motion-machine type effect could be done with a small electric motor, alternators and batteries everywhere, right? The drain from the motor idling would deplete the battery faster then it recharges or do alternators only work on fueled vehicles? If the bike-pedal thing works…

Nope, electric motors are basically the opposite of an alternator, so that specifically is a Lossy situation.

So what do I need to turn my rv into a electric one?
Mainly in need of info about electric engines, batteries and such.

[quote=“troll from behind, post:75, topic:3507”]So what do I need to turn my rv into a electric one?
Mainly in need of info about electric engines, batteries and such.[/quote]

You’re going to need a lot of solar panels. Preferably quantum, but upgraded solar panels work alright. This is your only source of power outside of manually refilling it with batteries or mounting a minireactor.
Other than that, electric motors are kinda slow IIRC, so you may need multiple installed to match the speed of a V8 engine.
Storage batteries are the best because they hold SO MUCH POWER, but truck batteries are good too. I’m reasonably sure you can fit one of each size onto a tile, so if you have them use them.

My opinion is probably unpopular, but I never saw the point of driving at 400 miles an hour anyway. Even something like 100 isn’t terribly useful, what with Cata’s winding roadways filled with twists and turns and wreckage.

I personally agree, any speed that allows me to kill something large with one or two passes is enough for me. Anything higher, and I usually get shot outta my windshield after colliding with an object.

My brain is completely lagging about this… how do I make a car into an indoor electric system for storing food and providing light? Like… do I have to make an entire car? Or what parts are required for them? Found several minifridges, and enough car parts, but I’m unsure on how to set it up.

You need a power source - solar panels outside or an engine+alternator+controls. You need electrical storage - batteries. Other than that you need things you’ll be using.

A popular method is to put a frame with a solar panel and battery outside then run a jumper cable or heavy cable into your house where you have a frame with your minifridge, kitchen unit, controls and a floodlight.