New vehicle construction system explained

+1 That seems like a great idea.

As of December 9th (specifically, commit e65a28f35da9ae1593448ccfe7528ed8018c114e in the experimental), the (0, 0) frame is now destructible/removable just like any other part.

Should make it easier to clear up wreckage, or run over vehicles in a semi.

Oh the glorious piles of wreckage when you smash into a car at high speed.
Now to look into making the parts come off ballistically :slight_smile:

“The semi’s frame hits the car’s frame!
The car’s frame is destroyed!
The car’s headlight is torn off!
The flashlight (off) hits you in the head.
Game Over (Press spacebar…)”

[quote=“Ian Strachan, post:44, topic:3507”]“The semi’s frame hits the car’s frame!
The car’s frame is destroyed!
The car’s headlight sails off in an arc!
The flashlight (off) hits you in the head.
Game Over (Press spacebar…)”[/quote]

ftfy

So… with this system, how do you go about making a vehicle that can protect you from incoming gunfire while letting you see out? Is that possible at the moment?

I believe (but am not 100% certain) that parts with the OBSTACLE flag will block gunfire.

So, liberal use of quarterpanels and doors should give you what you need.

As in… use quarterpanels and doors instead of windshields, and attempt to put armour plates on both of these things? (Can you armour doors?)

I find myself wondering if it’s possible to build a vehicle that has doors all over so you can see out like it’s all made of glass.

You could use reinforced windshields, if you like.

You can put armor on any square that doesn’t have it already, but it only protects from direct damage so there’s no point armoring the interior of your vehicle - just the edges.

And yes, you could build a doormobile if you wanted.

So, does incoming gunfire affect the outer frames/surfaces of the vehicle first and “drill” its way in eventually? I’m not clear on how it works.

From what I can tell, the outermost parts will be hit first. Any armor in the hit squares will take damage before anything else.

The only damage that can get around this is shock damage from high-damage collisions with stuff. Smashing on a car or shooting it only affects the hit square.

Hm…

So, since you can’t build multiple Z level high vehicles, I suppose the best way of making an armoured “tank” around a central pod you can see out of from all directions would actually be to have a square room made entirely out of windshields and doors, surrounded by several squares wide frames and armour plating, but no boards…

Uh… I have a new question. I just tried to wish myself the components for my old vehicle so I could rebuild it in the new game version.

It looks like there aren’t any “17 inch” wheels (for example).

Just “wheels” or “wide wheels” “motorbike wheels” “bike wheels”.

What happened to 36 inch wheels? Seems like the “wide wheels” are 20 inch.

I’m not sure how much effect this actually has on handling, but it seems odd.

All car parts with ‘bigness’ (wheels, engines) have random size within a certain range.

I don’t think it has much effect, except perhaps for the engine’s capacity.

So… I just discovered that it’s possible to mount a spotlight on a vehicle.

And compared to the spotlight, headlights are complete crap.

Get one ASAP. It lights up the whole area around you. Combine that with quarter panels on all sides and you have yourself complete visibility when driving.

I am wondering what the best way of using turrets on the vehicle is though…

Do they use IFF like the normal non-vehicle turrets? I mean, I’ve heard people saying they can shoot YOU…

How would I avoid that? Put a single square of full board between the turret and myself? A windshield? I don’t know how the friendly fire works.

Also…

If I were to attempt to create my entire base as a vehicle, would that be at all possible?

I would need a way of dropping items inside a vehicle without them going into trunks (since you can’t search when they’re in a container like that, and can’t use them in crafting either).

I’m currently unsure how the other vehicle storage units are different to a trunk.

How is floor trunk different?

What about the cargo rack?

I know the minifridge is useless crap right now.

And finally, what crafting items (forges etc) can I NOT mount on a vehicle or get a vehicle mounted equivalent for?

The wiki seems to suggest you can drop items on a seat or bed, so could I simply fill half the vehicle with seats and mount forges on them while dumping the crafting ingredients on them?

Suddenly I can’t put a hydrogen tank anywhere unless there’s no gas tank or battery present on the same tile.

Someone changed the vehicle construction system?

Also… you don’t need welding goggles to weld any more?

Hydrogen tanks, unsurprisingly, have the “fuel_tank” location, so yes, they won’t stack with gas tanks or batteries.

Welding goggles for welding is a bug that has a fix up for it. https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/5326

Your other questions from your previous post are about vehicles in general and should probably be posted in their own thread, not this one.

Unsurprising as it may be, fuel tanks, batteries and everything else used to stack nicely as long as they weren’t the same type. So this is quite a change.

In the earlier Experimental I’d been using I’d managed to construct a vehicle with multiple batteries (one of each type) on each tile along with a fuel tank on each tile and water tank on each tile.

I don’t think I really found the answer in this thread, so I’ll just ask: Is there currently any reason to use windshields instead of quarterpanels? Also, how does reinforced glass compare with those two?

I’ve been wondering about that too.

Do windshields stop bullets reaching you or something else that the panels wouldn’t?

I know reinforced glass is at least useful for armouring your solar panels…